Hilarious fan-sub lines

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Hilarious fan-sub lines

Post by DragonDuck » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:30 am

lolman196 wrote:Not actually subbed by a fan, but funny nonetheless.
That's a good one! Where is it from?
Last edited by DragonDuck on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:25 am

Pearl was an official broadcast out of... Hong Kong, was it...? Simultaneous Chinese and English subtitles.

Pearl's and NGN's (out of Hawaii) official broadcasts were often mixed in and traded around with actual fansubs.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

zcherub

Post by zcherub » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The first ED of the Majin Boo arc in Z provided this beauty.

Goku doesn't think much of Freeza.

Freeza is a sucker.
Lol @ "Killyen". I'm fine with Kuririn, Klillen, Kuririn - anything in that ballpark, but "Killyen"? There's a whole displaced vowel...

Daghenbell

Post by Daghenbell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:53 am

Hey do you guys have any text files of these subs? Because this is amazing xD also its quite an unqiue experience for sure

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 am

zcherub wrote:

Freeza is a sucker.
Lol @ "Killyen". I'm fine with Kuririn, Klillen, Kuririn - anything in that ballpark, but "Killyen"? There's a whole displaced vowel...
You said Kuririn twice.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:25 am

The Hank one was funny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 am

This gem from early DBSuper speedsub era:

Episode 5: SS2 Goku punching dimension powers
Time: 1:40 (https://youtu.be/hAR3AOHBX9Y)

Goku: it is said, a Super Saiyan 2 punch is so strong that it can take you to another dimension
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am

Here's some more gold from the Hong Kong sub.

As an additional note, when Piccolo asks Raditz if he knows who he's talking to, and Raditz says something along the lines of "Not really" or "No", they didn't actually sub Raditz's response there. So all you get is Piccolo asking "Do you know who you're talking to?!" And then Raditz saying something in Japanese.

Also, British Krillin.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Vegeta (To Dr.Gero) "Get out, you candy-ass faggot!"
Broly in DBZ Movie 8 "Monster? I'm devil!"
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:57 pm

There's a Movie 9 fansub from circa the mid-late 90s (so one of the relatively later attempts at subbing that particular movie) that included this gem during the scene where Goku's spirit gives Gohan a pre-Bojack killing pep-talk:

"This is not the time to be gentle! You have to open up a big 'ol can of whoop ass!"

Cut to a few moments later when Gohan's prepping his final Kamehameha against Bojack and he repeats what his father said to him earlier, only as:

"And... and he told me to destroy you!"

This incongruity of course was often followed by much merry laughter from friends in the room watching and someone inevitably yelling at the screen "Actually Gohan, I'm pretty sure your dad just told you to open up a big 'ol can of whoop ass!"

I wanna say this sub was more late-ish 90s. And I don't THINK it was an AnimeLabs sub, but I might well be mistaken on that. I do remember that earlier subs of this movie from a few years before were (by comparison) better translated, and contained less/none of these kinds of... quirks. If it was an AnimeLabs sub, then it might've been slightly older than I'm remembering and been more mid-90s. If this wasn't an actual AnimeLabs sub however, then I think this might've been right around the time that AnimeLabs subs began starting to retroactively take off among first gen dub fans in the late 90s: there were a few other very-late-to-the-party subbers around that small window of time who began taking their cues from the AnimeLabs "shock factor" mold.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Wow, that's interesting. Can't say I'm familiar with that sub of movie 9. My copy was a dual 7 and 9 done by Yagami (who I would later end up meeting as part of the AMV scene... small world!). The one line from that version that's still in our daily lexicon is Oolong's "Kuririn! Do your moderate best!"
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
zcherub wrote:

Freeza is a sucker.
You said Kuririn twice.
I don't recall exactly when the name filter was removed, but I'm reasonably sure it was still in effect in 2015 when that post was made. I assume the second "Kuririn" was intended to say "Krillin".

Edit: The filter for names was removed in late February, 2016.

lolman196

Post by lolman196 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:There's a Movie 9 fansub from circa the mid-late 90s (so one of the relatively later attempts at subbing that particular movie) that included this gem during the scene where Goku's spirit gives Gohan a pre-Bojack killing pep-talk:

"This is not the time to be gentle! You have to open up a big 'ol can of whoop ass!"
I have this tape. Surprisingly, the tape comes from Ctenosaur, but there's no credits on the tape. The only evidence to show that it's from Ctenosaur is the font used at the end of the movie:

Here's some notable screenshots from Movie 9:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 pm

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am

I continue to be fascinated by this movie 9 example. Kaio's "shit's hit the fan" line is in my Yagami fansub, but the rest of that is absolutely not. I wonder if this is a stolen script from Yagami and "punched-up", or if they both independently sourced their script from something identical and each did something different with it.