Was Dead Zone edited when it aired on Toonami

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Was Dead Zone edited when it aired on Toonami

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am

And if so, is that the one on the Rock The Dragon set or is the uncut version same with The World's Strongest as I know Tree of Might on the set is the edited one that aired in syndication and on Toonami.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Was Dead Zone edited when it aired on Toonami

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:19 am

They were all edited to some extent for broad cast (either visual or dialogue *cursing*). The ones on the Rock the Dragon are the edited versions.

Example: Gokus boxers in dead zone

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:10 pm

I think in the UK they aired all of the 'Big Green' film dubs uncut in the UK (during the day, 5pm and mornings) but I would assume that all of the films would have aired edited if they were shown during the day in the US.

The UK Blue Water dub of 'Dragon Ball' aired very uncut to an extent, I can't remember, does anyone have a link to info or thread?

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 am

Toonami occasionally split Dead Zone into two separate episodes (to avoid reruning the Saban episodes too many times). When presented like this, they cut out the scene where Garlic and co ambush Piccolo.

They didn't edit in the Saban soundtrack, unlike with Tree of Might, which also got hacked into multiple episodes.

This particular versioning has never been released on home video, although the censored non-episodic Toonami version was released on the RTD set.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:09 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:Toonami occasionally split Dead Zone into two separate episodes (to avoid reruning the Saban episodes too many times). When presented like this, they cut out the scene where Garlic and co ambush Piccolo.
Are you sure it's not the other way around? I recorded Dead Zone off the TV the very first time it aired, and the first scene was nowhere to be seen. I had no idea it existed. It was only later, when they showed it as episodes, that I ever saw that scene and recorded it by itself later on.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am

NinjaGoku wrote:I think in the UK they aired all of the 'Big Green' film dubs uncut in the UK (during the day, 5pm and mornings) but I would assume that all of the films would have aired edited if they were shown during the day in the US.

The UK Blue Water dub of 'Dragon Ball' aired very uncut to an extent, I can't remember, does anyone have a link to info or thread?
Yeah the Big Green films were all 100% uncut when they aired. And the Blue Water dub was pretty much uncut towards the end of DB, leaving in all the blood and stomping during Goku's fight with Piccolo for example. I also remember Blue Water GT leaving in Vegeta getting his shoulder impaled with all the blood intact.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:10 am

90sDBZ wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:I think in the UK they aired all of the 'Big Green' film dubs uncut in the UK (during the day, 5pm and mornings) but I would assume that all of the films would have aired edited if they were shown during the day in the US.

Yeah the Big Green films were all 100% uncut when they aired. And the Blue Water dub was pretty much uncut towards the end of DB, leaving in all the blood and stomping during Goku's fight with Piccolo for example. I also remember Blue Water GT leaving in Vegeta getting his shoulder impaled with all the blood intact.
How did they handle this scene?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:53 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:How did they handle this scene?
That scene actually isn't as explicit as it is in the manga. Her breasts are only shown for literally a split second in the anime.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:10 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:That scene actually isn't as explicit as it is in the manga. Her breasts are only shown for literally a split second in the anime.
I presume they removed that split second from the UK broadcast, the varying amount of edits between each dub that was broadcast in the UK is strange. They edited out 'screw' when they summoned the dragon on Namek, I'm not sure who handled that edit.