Females voicing adult male characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Females voicing adult male characters

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:48 am

JulieYBM wrote: Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece has already been mentioned, but Luffy is only nineteen in comparison to Gokuu, who is much older.
The kind of people that bitch about 40 year old Goku being voiced by Nozawa bitch just as much about 18 year old Goku being voiced by Nozawa, though.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:52 am

Adamant wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece has already been mentioned, but Luffy is only nineteen in comparison to Gokuu, who is much older.
The kind of people that bitch about 40 year old Goku being voiced by Nozawa bitch just as much about 18 year old Goku being voiced by Nozawa, though.
Indeed, which is what makes just how quite detractors are with regards to Luffy quite...something.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Indeed, which is what makes just how quite detractors are with regards to Luffy quite...something.
Luffy is different because he still looks like a young boy despite being an adult. When he physically matures and becomes masculine looking but still sounds like a woman I'll hold him to the same regard I hold Adult Naruto and Goku and Gon.
Goku's voice does not match his appearance. That's why a female voice still didn't work for him even when he was 18.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Luffy has a six-pack and defined muscles that appear on his arms when flexed during battle.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Luffy has a six-pack and defined muscles that appear on his arms when flexed during battle.
Even so, he still looks really young.

There's barely any noticible difference from when he was 14.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Cursemark505 wrote: Luffy is different because he still looks like a young boy despite being an adult. When he physically matures and becomes masculine looking but still sounds like a woman I'll hold him to the same regard I hold Adult Naruto and Goku and Gon.
Goku's voice does not match his appearance. That's why a female voice still didn't work for him even when he was 18.
There seems to be little discussion about Kuririn in this thread despite having the same voice actress as Luffy. Do people think he looks like a young boy? He always just looked "short" to me, not young.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:42 pm

irreality wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote: Luffy is different because he still looks like a young boy despite being an adult. When he physically matures and becomes masculine looking but still sounds like a woman I'll hold him to the same regard I hold Adult Naruto and Goku and Gon.
There seems to be little discussion about Kuririn in this thread despite having the same voice actress as Luffy. Do people think he looks like a young boy? He always just looked "short" to me, not young.
I agree.
He doesn't look like a young teenager at all so I don't see his voice as fitting either.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:44 am

So, interesting fact that I recently discovered about Nozawa voicing adult Goku. On a recent episode of Rob Paulsen's (voice of Yakko from Animaniacs and Pinky from Pinky and the Brain, among others) podcast, he had Sean Schemmel on with a group of other anime dubbing actors. Sean ended up telling the story of how the Japanese producers had him and Nozawa hang out together when she was in LA back in April for the Resurrection F premier in Hollywood. He recalls her telling him that she actually had to re-audition for the role of Goku as an adult (Schemmel says for Z, but I would possibly guess this could have happened for the 23rd Budokai). So basically, having her play an adult Goku wasn't necessarily an automatically assumed thing like many of us had believed, which I found interesting.

To hear it yourself, it starts at about the 68:24 mark.