Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:43 pm

In my opinion cannon debates are pretty dumb, because Dragon Ball doesn't have an definite cannon and people often make up their own. So what are yours ? Personal for my it's the 42 volumes of the manga, the Bardock and Trunks T.V specials, Yo! Son Goku and friends return!! and GT.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Your head cannon for Dragon Ball

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:52 pm

soppa saia people wrote:Let's face it cannon debates are pretty dumb, because Dragon Ball doesn't have an definite cannon and people often make up their own. So what are yours ? Personal for my it's the 42 volumes of the manga, the Bardock and Trunks T.V specials, Yo! Son Goku and friends return!! and GT.
Pretty much this
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Canon debates aren't dumb because in order to have effective discussions, everyone should be on the same page.

I see several canons. Basically, not the "true story" canons, but basically acknowledging that there are several versions. There's the Akira Toriyama canon, which is the 42 volumes of Dragon Ball and Super. That's the Toei canon which includes the anime, tv Specials, and the latest movies. Then there's the FUNimatiom canon, which is the dub. Now, apparently, there's the side story canom which includes things like games, movies, and GT.

Regardless of which people follow, most choose to follow the Toriyama canon, it's pretty important to distinguish between them.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 pm

My head doesn't have a cannon shooting dragon balls. But seriously, my canon is the DB manga and DBS anime. Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy filler stuff.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 am

All of what has been mentioned above Manga, Specials, and Yo! except for GT, before super it was in my head cannon but for now i'm calling it a alternate universe unless Super goes into it.

As far as the detail's in all these go, I've adopted the idea that SSJ's appearance changed throughout the series because of it being trained, and the more it is trained, the more detail the form gives from other Kanzenshuu Users despite the BOG flashback.
and since SSJ1 is at full detail by the end of the Cell Saga, SSJ2, and 3 are also in full detail, since they are not separate form's but level's of the original SSJ.

I also call SSJ4 "Super Oozaru" or "Super Saiyan Oozaru"
not just because it doesn't look like the other forms, but because if Saiyan's have unlimited potential then I think the number scale would get rather ridiculous after SSJ5.
Super Saiyan 6-??? does not sound right in my opinion and If Goku were to show off all transformation's in a fight, If he attained SSJ10 it would get kinda out there going through all that.

Which I think is a major point as to why we have SSJG, and not 4 in Super, other than GT already doing it.

I love most of the movies, but I consider them a Side-Story instead of an alternate timeline simply because False SSJ, Broly, etc.
Especially Broly, If he was injected into the main continuity, and was defeated by Goku SSJ1, (I can't recall if he used SSJ2 in the fight)
then how can you call him "Legendary" if there is a form like SSG and he isn't on par with it, or have that power.
If they rebooted Broly, put him in Super, and gave him a power/form that would rival SSG then yea sure what the hell, go for it.

OkamiTakahashi

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:27 am

Since I hate timeline splits/alternate universes/GT bashing, I just do what Toei tries to imply- having it all on a single linear timeline. DB, Z, S, GT, Heroes, Ultimate Tenkaiichi, Xenoverse, Online. Toriyama also has a habit of weaving his other franchises into Dragon Ball, such as Doctor Slump and Jaco, so it's safe for me to assume all Toriyama series take place in the Dragon Ball setting.

As for fanmade sequels, such as the various versions of AF (Toyble's, Little Jijii's, the guy who actually started the concept of AF, Absalon), and DB Multiverse, well, I don't know enough about any of them really. While they're interesting stories in themselves, I don't really factor any of them into headcanon. Actually, the closest thing to a canon GT sequel inbetween it and Heroes would be Toyble's, since he actually has done several official Dragon Ball manga series now. It would be nice to see it actually become a thing. However, I really think everyone doing their own version of AF (Absalon included since it has some shared characters and traits like Xicor and SSJ5) should be giving some credit to the guy who even thought up the idea though. I always have trouble remembering his name so I'm just gonna refer to him as Tablos after his OC that somehow spawned into SSJ5 Goku.

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:58 am

woah longer than i thought it will be.
just to be clear, this is MY opinion

*canon, short for the word canonical.

canon is the works of the writer or owner, they will contradict the main story few time or at all. also [have the stamp] of owner of the franchise. (a 'what if' story is not canon, even if written by Toriyama himself).
since TOEI owns the rights of dragon ball animation in japan, it can be assumed there is a TOEI-verse. GT, the fillers and the movies may be canon there. but not to the bird studios/shueisha-verse

lets take fillers or GT for example, TOEI dont need the permission to make any dragon ball animation material. it can be canon to the anime but not to the manga.

--------

'"what story is canon ?" there are 2 things need to watch
1. a main story that is infact canon or not. there is no argument in this detail. like movies or GT (non-canon to the manga). disney discarded all previous star wars works from the expanded universe, and they have the full right to do so after buying the rights for it.
2. some details in a story, here fans can decide what is canon for themselves. probably to 'filter' the things they like or not.
me, i claim some moments in super are not canon because they are stupid or dont make sense... the story is definitely canon. it is based on the last 2 canonical movies and have manga with the Shueisha stamp on it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:15 am

There's manga canon, anime canon (which you can exclude GT if you want for Super), the 15 movie canon, etc.

I don't really care what the videogames do, that's always been crazy "what-if" scenarios.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:54 am

I think that this may be of some use here:
xkcd wrote:The nice thing about headcannnons is that it's really easy to get other people to believe in them.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 am

precita wrote:There's manga canon, anime canon (which you can exclude GT if you want for Super), the 15 movie canon, etc.

I don't really care what the videogames do, that's always been crazy "what-if" scenarios.
You don't even have to exclude GT since you can have Kai and Z as two separate canons.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 am

Even though this head-canon/fanon is completely worthless:

Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball 1-42
certain Dragon Ball Movies
Dragon Ball Super/Kami to Kami/Fukkatsu no F
Dragon Ball Galaxy Tour/Grand Tour
Xeztin wrote: I also call SSJ4 "Super Oozaru" or "Super Saiyan Oozaru"
I think Lunar (Super) Saiyajin would be a good name.
Bullza wrote:I don't have a head canon. I just accept what is canon whether I like it or not.
Multiple posts say different.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:49 am

For me, it's this:

Dragon Ball (Kanzenban)
Jaco The Galactic Patrolman
Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and his friends Return!! (Manga Adaptation)
Dragon Ball Z: God & God/Battle of Gods (Special Edition)
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection "F" (Script)
Dragon Ball Super (Universe 6 arc)

Plus official guidebooks related to any of the above, when they don't contradict them, and information directly from Akira Toriyama.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:56 am

I get what the term Head Canon is supposed to mean, but it confuses what canon means. The point is to differentiate official work from things like fanfiction or continuations from a different author. For instance, Sherlock Holmes stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are canon, while stories written after Sherlock became public domain aren't.

As for what I like to think of as happening in DB - the anime, a few of the movies like movie 1, 5, 9, and 13. I also think the Planet Vegeta we see in the Pendelum Room episode is more likely than the technologically advanced, more or less civilized version we see in the Bardock TV Special.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:18 am

This is the logic around here:

1. If I like and/or enjoy the show, then it's canon.

OR

2.If I Don't like and/or hate the show, then it's not canon.

My opinion? I enjoyed DBGT as I was growing up, even today I still hold the show very dear or close with me. The Canon debate didn't matter to me back then because I was too busy loving GT and making my own questions about the story and therefore, it shouldn't matter to me now. Conclusion? GT is canon.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

s841

Post by s841 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:38 am

successoroffate wrote: My opinion? I enjoyed DBGT as I was growing up, even today I still hold the show very dear or close with me. The Canon debate didn't matter to me back then because I was too busy loving GT and making my own questions about the story and therefore, it shouldn't matter to me now. Conclusion? GT is canon.
I totally agree.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:04 pm

I don't have a head canon. I just accept what is canon whether I like it or not.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 pm

I kind of have 2 separate sorts of headcanons.

---

Headcanon #1:

My sig has a link to a rough outline of the groundwork of my first headcanon.

Essentially, all official Dragon Ball related material is canon. However, due to the time traveling shenanigans of Towa and Mira, many splinter timelines were created. Essentially every single bit of "Expanded Universe" material that is commonly thought to be "non-canon" occurs in these splinter timelines.

Now, given what Super's been up to, I'm not entirely sure how I'm splicing up the 5 different versions of "Beerus vs Super Saiyan God Goku", but the point is that all of them are just as "real" as any other, in my head-canon.

I don't think I'm willing to include the live action films though.

---

Headcanon #2:

This secondary headcanon is more or less what I believe that the people creating the franchise believe is the canon timeline, complete in its vagueness:

- Elder Kaioshin is sealed in the Z Sword
- Under the orders of Bibidi, Majin Buu goes on a rampage; the East Kaioshin is the sole survivor of his kin
- Birth of the Super Saiyan legend
- Saiyans vs Tsufru
- Jaco
- Bardock; Freeza blows up Planet Vegeta
- Pilaf through Buu
- Beerus vs Super Saiyan God
- Golden Freeza
- (probably) Champa
- Goku trains Uub
- GT

Now, throughout the years, the material we've had has given us different versions of several of these events. However, that these events do happen seems to be influencing the material made. They're not terribly concerned with the minutia. They're not terribly concerned with things fitting completely perfectly. The point is, they have "canon events" that happened at various points in time, relative to one another. Having this removes the need for them to pen a new narrative for any of those time periods, and while they've never explicitly come out and said this, it would seem very characteristic of both Toriyama and Toei to simply fall back on this. Dimps/Namco Bandai certainly is (see: GT in Xenoverse). The execution undoubtedly varies, but I believe that this is the rough timeline of "canon" events, just as vague as that, that the people creating the franchise adhere to.

Even the core story itself is subject to this. We have Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, and Buu being a long string of "big bads" to face off against. However, the details wildly vary. Some versions depict characters with different numbers of fingers, some versions are more filled with supplementary events. Despite this, know for certain that Vegeta did invade Earth, afterwards our heroes did face off against Freeza on Namek, which lead to a horrible future in which Time Travel and Artificial Humans were the focus, which lead to the fight with Buu.

We have cases of Super vs Battle of Gods, or DB Minus vs the Bardock TV Special, "which one's canon?" feels like a bad question. In both questions, the answer is "neither, and both". What is canon is that Beerus fought Super Saiyan God between Buu and Uub, and what is canon is that Goku's father, Bardock, made a final stand against Freeza before their home planet was blown up. The details vary so wildly often with every single attempted incarnation, the people crafting the stories seem, very clearly to me, to not care about the details.

Which depiction of the Tsufur is canon? Doesn't matter, the Tsufru are canon, and that's all that matters to Toriyama (the fact that Toriyama designed them, and referred to them very recently in an interview supports the notion that Toriyama considers their existence) and Toei (they've given us, what, at least 3 separate accounts of them?).

It honestly feels like the story of Dragon Ball is not unlike an incredible moment in the life of a huge group of people. Accounts differ, details wildly vary, but the fact of the matter is that it most certainly happened.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 pm

My idea for the series continuity would be like this:

Manga Continuity:

DB-
Jaco
Dragon Ball Vol. 1-42
2008 Jump Special
BOG
ROF
Champa and Universe 6 (Given how Toriyama seems to have a big part on writing those two)
EOZ

Anime Continuity:

Bardock: Father of Goku
Jaco
DB Anime
DBZ Movie 1
DBZ Anime
History of Trunks
DBZ Movie 9
DB Super

GT Continuity:

DB Anime
DBZ Movie 1
DBZ Anime
DBZ Movie 5 and 6
DBZ Movie 9
History of Trunks
DBZ Movie 13
DBGT

DB Online Continuity:

Dragon Ball Vol. 1-42

Everything else is set in their own world/timeline.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:51 pm

- Jaco
- Dragon Ball Minus
- Dragon Ball Manga
- Dragon Ball Kai
- Yo!! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
- Movie 13
- Super
- BOG
- ROF
- Dragon Ball Manga (EOZ)
- Dragon Ball Online

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Plus official guidebooks related to any of the above, when they don't contradict them, and information directly from Akira Toriyama.
personally, i find the guidebooks non-canon. people developed the multipliers theory because of that guidebook, and i dont believe in multipliers. (if ssj was simple multipliers, then there was no need to train it).