Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:29 am

Pretty much what we have from the anime, I guess:

-The original Bardock speical
-Dragon Ball
-Dragon Ball Z (excluding the dead villain scenes)
-The Trunks special
-Dragon Ball Super (Including its BoG and RoF arcs)

Super may not be perfect (what Dragon Ball product is?) but there are enough really good moments that I think it's deserved its spot. The hate for it is way overblown in my opinion. I excluded Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return. Tarble sort of ruins it for me, as he's non-existent in later material, excluding BoG which is made obsolete by its Super arc.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 am

Everything, in some way, shape, or form, even if not depicted exactly like onscreen in cases of filler or movies. Broad strokes, basically.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 pm

My DB canon is:

-Jaco manga & Minus
-The original 42 volumes of the DB manga
-BoG & RoF films
-Super manga(from the U6 arc onwards)
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

-Bardock the Father of Goku
-the original manga
-History of Trunks TV Special
-sBojack Unbound
-JSAT 2008 Special
-DBGT

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

original DB manga
DB/DBZ
BoG and RoF movies
DBS (manga/ anime episodes 1-4, 15-18, Universe 6 Saga onwards)
DBGT
Movies 1,5,7 (alternate timeline), 8-10, 13
Specials: Bardock The Father of Goku, Trunks Special, Goku Jr, Goku and friends return

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

I love the theory that GT exists in the movie continuity. It makes a lot of sense to me, and that's how I choose to look at it.

My personal canon is pretty basic...

Manga:
- Jaco
- Dr. Slump
- Dragon Ball Volume 1-42
- Dragon Ball Super (w/ Resurrection "F" manga)

I suppose Minus as well, though Goku being a toddler instead of a baby before Namek's destruction is a weird continuity hiccup for me.

Anime:
- Bardock: Father of Goku (I could take it or leave it, but it's got relevance and fits in well enough)
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Kai (either that or Z but ignoring inconsistencies like Garlic Jr or "canon-breaking" cameos)
- History of Trunks
- Battle of Gods (though ignoring the reference to Tarble)
- Resurrection 'F'
- Dragon Ball Super (everything not covered in BoG or RoF)

The BoG/RoF preference isn't some dealbreaker thing; I enjoy the Super versions well enough, they just seem unnecessary and drawn out and I'd rather rewatch the movies between the two. Though the Tarble mention is another weird one; I feel like they basically wrote out Tarble with "Super" and created Cabba as a similar replacement, which I kind of prefer.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Bryesque wrote:The BoG/RoF preference isn't some dealbreaker thing; I enjoy the Super versions well enough, they just seem unnecessary and drawn out and I'd rather rewatch the movies between the two. Though the Tarble mention is another weird one; I feel like they basically wrote out Tarble with "Super" and created Cabba as a similar replacement, which I kind of prefer.
If it helps, in the dub I don't think Tarble is referenced by name.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Bryesque wrote:The BoG/RoF preference isn't some dealbreaker thing; I enjoy the Super versions well enough, they just seem unnecessary and drawn out and I'd rather rewatch the movies between the two. Though the Tarble mention is another weird one; I feel like they basically wrote out Tarble with "Super" and created Cabba as a similar replacement, which I kind of prefer.
If it helps, in the dub I don't think Tarble is referenced by name.
Huh! I honestly didn't recall that... Just a "your brother" reference or something, or was the line altered entirely?

I don't have any issue with Tarble at all really, and the idea that Vegeta had an embarrassing little brother the whole time is pretty funny. But he probably didn't have much long-term potential beyond that, and being kinda-replaced by Cabba backs that up, IMO. Just a funny little continuity tangle, but there are... plenty of those. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Bryesque wrote:Huh! I honestly didn't recall that... Just a "your brother" reference or something, or was the line altered entirely?
I don't think the line was altered significantly from the Japanese version (in that old 1999 kinda way), I believe it was "Hey Vegeta, don't you have a brother who could help with the ritual?". It was definately a sly wink and a nod, rather that "Couldn't you call TARBLE? Because TARBLE is a cool guy!".
Bryesque wrote:I don't have any issue with Tarble at all really, and the idea that Vegeta had an embarrassing little brother the whole time is pretty funny. But he probably didn't have much long-term potential beyond that, and being kinda-replaced by Cabba backs that up, IMO. Just a funny little continuity tangle, but there are... plenty of those. :lol:
I like the idea of Tarble as well, he could have been a fun character in Super for sure... but Cabba has taken his place. As for Yo! itself, it is rehashed by the BoG birthday party, but at the same time there isn't really any reason to not throw it away since it doesn't outright contradict anything. As well, I'd much rather take it as the "post-Buu celebration episode" than the filler episode with Goku and that damn egg.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 am

Everything. I don't have a problem ignoring GT when I'm really into Super. I don't have a problem ignoring Super when I'm really into GT. Personally though Super feels far more natural of a continuation than GT does

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am

Bardock tv special
DB anime
DBZ anime
Dragonball Super
Trunks tv special
First Cooler movie
Bojack Movie
VegettoEX is a snowflake

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 am

Original manga

2008 TV Special

Jaco manga

Dragonball Minus (I know, but Toriyama wrote it personally, so...)

Dragonball Super (although I am a bit unsure about the manga vs. anime distinction... ideally I'd use a composite of both but that's not really consistent).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

King13s

Re: Your head cannon for Dragon Ball

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Xeztin wrote:I also call SSJ4 "Super Oozaru" or "Super Saiyan Oozaru"
not just because it doesn't look like the other forms, but because if Saiyan's have unlimited potential then I think the number scale would get rather ridiculous after SSJ5.
Super Saiyan 6-??? does not sound right in my opinion and If Goku were to show off all transformation's in a fight, If he attained SSJ10 it would get kinda out there going through all that.

Which I think is a major point as to why we have SSJG, and not 4 in Super, other than GT already doing it.
There is a Deviant Artist with a fan character that reaches "Super Saiyan Beast" and I have liked that for years, for roughly the same logic. I've actually always been turned off by fan comics that utilize SS5 or anything like that. It just doesn't stay true to what the form is.

My personal head cannon is that of Dragon Ball Heroes. Everything exists within it's timeline. The movies are isolated pocket dimensions of time, the anime is it's own thing outside the manga as well.

Also the Future Trunks we meet in Super is a different alternate future, especially since Mai and Yajirobe we're there it just doesn't make sense to be the purple haired guy we met before.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm

King13s wrote:[Also the Future Trunks we meet in Super is a different alternate future, especially since Mai and Yajirobe we're there it just doesn't make sense to be the purple haired guy we met before.
I personally don't really see why that wouldn't be the case. The other main characters got killed because they either sought out or were a threat to the Androids. Mai wouldn't fall under that category and Yajirobe is too much of a coward to face them.

King13s

Post by King13s » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 am

KBABZ wrote:
King13s wrote:[Also the Future Trunks we meet in Super is a different alternate future, especially since Mai and Yajirobe we're there it just doesn't make sense to be the purple haired guy we met before.
I personally don't really see why that wouldn't be the case. The other main characters got killed because they either sought out or were a threat to the Androids. Mai wouldn't fall under that category and Yajirobe is too much of a coward to face them.
Because as first Future Trunks explained, Piccolo was one of the first to go, so they had no Dragon Balls from the get go.

New timeline Trunks had the new explanation of the Pilaf gang wasting the wish that wasn't there before, and really doesn't line up with events at all. It was shoehorned in because Toriyama missed his gag characters.

Lastly, in Xenoverse 2 and Super Heroes he is referenced as a different Trunks. It is easiest to fit it as another timeline that is similar to the first Future Trunks. Sadly, this means our first one was whipped out of existence by Zamasu and Goku Black

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 am

King13s wrote:Because as first Future Trunks explained, Piccolo was one of the first to go, so they had no Dragon Balls from the get go.

New timeline Trunks had the new explanation of the Pilaf gang wasting the wish that wasn't there before, and really doesn't line up with events at all. It was shoehorned in because Toriyama missed his gag characters.

Lastly, in Xenoverse 2 and Super Heroes he is referenced as a different Trunks. It is easiest to fit it as another timeline that is similar to the first Future Trunks. Sadly, this means our first one was whipped out of existence by Zamasu and Goku Black
Hmm, guess you're right, but I don't really take the video games all that seriously (was Toriyama involved with Xenoverse's story?). Lemme nut this out anyway. Hmm...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 am

King13s wrote:Lastly, in Xenoverse 2 and Super Heroes he is referenced as a different Trunks.
No, on the contrary, Trunks himself says the one from Dragon Ball Super is him.

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm

As a anime only dub fan I'd say my canon is currently:
New Era
-DB
-DBZKai
-Super

Old Funi/Toonami Nostalgia Era
-DB
-DBZ
-GT

Movies - Fun side stories and "what ifs" ( the ones that sorta fit would go with the old era).
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 am

Even though canon is a completely artificial concept (and Toei and Toriyama have made it readily apparent they don't give a flying fuck about canon, with Toei literally putting Super and GT on the same timeline), here's my new attempt. Some of the movies are alternate universes, some are on the main timeline.

Dragon Ball anime (episodes 1-153)
Dragon Ball movies (1-3, 17)
Dragon Ball Z anime (episodes 1-291, plus 2 specials)
Dragon Ball Z movies (4-16, 18, 19)
Dragon Ball GT (episodes 1-64, plus 1 TV movie)
Dragon Ball Super manga/anime synthesis (synthesis of all of the manga plus episodes 28-131, excluding the recap arcs and the worst filler)
Dragon Ball Super movie (20)
Dragon Ball Online (bits and pieces)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse (bits and pieces)
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Everything written by Toriyama excluding Minus and Cross Epoch

Absolutely not canon and keep it the fuck away from me:
Dragon Ball Minus
Cross Epoch
Episode of Bardock
Dragon Ball Heroes
Super recap arcs
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 am

Manga:
Dragon Ball 1-519
Dragon Ball: Trunks the Story

Manga Spin-Offs:
Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! 1-2
Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock 1-3
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman 1-11
Dragon Ball -