Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm

"Who Want to Be a Superhero" Is officially part of my head cannon.

Also, Bardock FoG instead of Minus. The original Bardock was way too good to be replaced by Goodie-Two-Shoes Bardock. I don't care much for HoT since it was in the manga.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:38 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Also, Bardock FoG instead of Minus. The original Bardock was way too good to be replaced by Goodie-Two-Shoes Bardock. I don't care much for HoT since it was in the manga.
A mass-murdering, genocidal, blood-thirsty space pirate, who sometimes gives a shit about his family and comrades, is still a mass-murdering, genocidal, blood-thirsty space pirate.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:Also, Bardock FoG instead of Minus. The original Bardock was way too good to be replaced by Goodie-Two-Shoes Bardock. I don't care much for HoT since it was in the manga.
A mass-murdering, genocidal, blood-thirsty space pirate, who sometimes gives a shit about his family and comrades, is still a mass-murdering, genocidal, blood-thirsty space pirate.
Okay, I over-exaggerated. What I meant is that I preferred how Bardock acted more like a typical Saiyan in the Bardock special. The way he didn't care at all for Kakarot until he was able to see the future was great stuff. Not to mention how Bardock missing Goku's departure was much better than Bardock secretly sending Goku away. Although DB Minus Bardock was smarter for figuring out Frieza's plan, FoG Bardock was a generally better character imo.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Already posted in this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=180

But no problem posting again :D
Noah wrote:My personal canon is:

- Bardock – The Father of Goku DB Minus is my ass
- Dragon Ball (manga)
- DB/Z (anime/excluding conflicting fillers)
- The History Of Trunks (I prefer over the manga chapter because this story, animated was better presented for me)
- Bojack Unbound
- Wrath of the Dragon

All the rest I see as non canon. Just my POV after all.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:07 pm

I hope it's okay to post here seeing as how this thread seems to be a little old.

Canon for me is:

Bardock: Father of Goku
Akira Toriyama's original 42 volumes of manga.

I typically treat everything else as a "what-if" story or an alternate timeline/universe.

EDIT: I forgot "History of Trunks" but I think that's a special chapter included into one of those 42 volumes so I think I'm safe.
Last edited by GamerSkull on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Canon for me is: Bardock: Father of Goku - Akira Toriyama's original 42 volumes of manga.

I typically treat everything else as a "what-if" story or an alternate timeline/universe.
You do very well, sir.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:16 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I hope it's okay to post here seeing as how this thread seems to be a little old.
Indeed it is, you should have created another one or revived this one, whose last post was not so long ago in comparison to this thread.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm

At the risk of breathing life into a dead thread, mine is as follows:

Canon 1: DB- > Jaco > Manga > BoG > RoF > Super
Canon 2: Bardock > Anime + Trunks > GT
Canon 3: Movies

I've yet to watch the movies so the third I've set to sort out in my head.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 pm

How can Dragon Ball not have a canon? Everything that happens in Dragon Ball episode 1 through DBZ episode 291 is canon. Why wouldn't it be? Son Goku meets Bulma in chapter one of the Manga and nobody debates that right? A Saibaman kills Yamucha during the Saiyan Arc, nobody debates that. Fat Buu befriends Mr. Satan and nobody debates that right?
So their is a canon because things that happen in the past affect the future. (Within Dragon Ball)

For me personally, everything that has officially been produced is canon. Saiyans invaded the Tuffles and lived amongst them, Son Goku was sent to Earth in both Saiyan armor and naked, (don't ask how just roll with it) and Trunks has both purple and blue hair. Because reasons. But I still think GT happens after Super because GT happens later in Goku's life.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Manga Canon
Jaco + Minus
Dragon Ball Manga
BOG and ResF
Super Manga from Tournament of Destroyers arc onwards
Dragon Ball GT

Anime Canon
Bardock: The Father of Goku
Dragon Ball
Dead Zone
Dragon Ball Z up to Trunks' flashback
The History of Trunks
Dragon Ball Z up to end of Cell Games
Bojack Unbound
Dragon Ball Z up to Celebrations with Majin Buu
Wrath of the Dragon
Dragon Ball Z up to He's Always Late
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Z - end of Z
Dragon Ball GT up to halfway through Until We Meet Again
A Hero's Legacy
64th World Martial Arts Tournament and ending monologue

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 pm

GTx10 wrote:How can Dragon Ball not have a canon? Everything that happens in Dragon Ball episode 1 through DBZ episode 291 is canon. Why wouldn't it be?
Because that's the anime, and as it would transpire, the anime would often include new content not done by Toriyama and/or things that would contradict what he would write later. For example in "Legend of a Dragon" Roshi recites the origin of the Dragon Balls, only later Toriyama would introduce Kami as their creator. Another would be Gohan turning into an Oozaru a second time thanks to a projection of the moon from Goku's space pod, which Piccolo destroys... which is then contradicted when Toriyama uses Goku's pod as the basis for his spaceship. There's more minor additions as well, such as Gohan going back to fight Frieza, or Krillin, Yamcha, Tien and Vegeta attempting to assist Gohan against Cell, or just Goku's fight with Frieza taking longer. Those events don't occur in the manga.
GTx10 wrote:For me personally, everything that has officially been produced is canon.
Only that can't really work. You're basically saying that every single one of the movies is canon with the anime, which itself is apparently canon with the manga. But we've had four depictions of Goku meeting Bulma, Yamcha and Roshi, and experiences his first adventure: Manga, anime, Blood Rubies and Path to Power. Do they ALL apply to the one storyline? Is Chiaotzu an Emperor based on Mystical Adventure and Arale takes on Tao? And where does Evolution fit into it all??

I feel like DB plays fast and loose with canon in the sense that the focus is more on what story they want to tell rather than trying to figure out a story that can fit with what came before. To that end there are lots of different contradictory points (where does DBO fit in terms of GT or Super?), because it's not like the creators are all that concerned about it, right? Which is where my approach comes from, which is more about which works relate back to what. For example Bardock is specific to the anime while DB- is only for the manga.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 am

The 'Dragonball' Manga .
My English is poor .

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 am

Everything after Z is a horrible acid trip that Goten is on.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:38 am

My Main Canon:
1) Dragon Ball recut
2) DBZ Kai Episodes 1 - 35
3) Bardock: The Father of Goku
4) DBZ Kai Episodes 36 - 65
5) The History of Trunks
6) DBZ Kai Episodes 66 - 97
7) My edit of DBZ Kai episode 98 which removes the Otherworld filler montage at the end of the episode.
8 ) DBZ Kai TFC Episodes 1 - 157
9) My fan edit of the fight against Kid Buu (which covers episodes 158 - 165 & removes hell filler and all the other contradictory stuff).

My “””Fun””” Canon (as in stuff that doesn’t make perfect sense but Ill watch it on a rewatch anyway.) :
1) Jaco Manga
2) Dragon Ball recut
3) Dead Zone
4) DBZ Kai Episodes 1 - 35
5) Bardock: The Father of Goku
6) DBZ Kai Episodes 36 - 58
7) Cooler's Revenge
8 ) DBZ Kai Episodes 59 - 65
9) The History of Trunks
10) DBZ Kai Episodes 66 - 97
11)My edit of DBZ Kai episode 98 which removes the Otherworld filler montage at the end of the episode.
12) Bojack Unbound
13) DBZ Kai TFC Episodes 1 - 157
14) My fan edit of the fight against Kid Buu (which covers episodes 158 - 165 & removes hell filler and all the other contradictory stuff).
15) Wrath of the Dragon
16) Battle of Gods extended cut
17) Resurrection 'F' Super Cut
18) Super Episodes 28 - current, including the Future Trunks special and the extended version of 109/110.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 am

DB episodes 1-153.
Kai episodes 1-167 & Z's 2 TV specials.
BOG & RF.
Super (anime & manga) starting with the Champa arc.
Whatever new movie or anime that's from Toriyama.
GT.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 am

DB, DBZ & all the movies (including the characters)

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:32 am

-Bardock special.
-Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.
-DB manga, 42 volumes including the kanzenban ending.
-Movies 1 (Garlic Jr.), 5 (Cooler), 9 (Bojack), 13 (Hildegarn), and 14 (Beerus).
-Certain bits of anime-only content, such as Gohan's training in the Saiyan arc, the Otherworld Tournament, Gregory, the Buu Kaioshin flashback, and Vegeta traveling in space in the Android arc.
-2008 Jump special.
-Super manga.
-Xenoverse series.
-Official guidebooks related to any of the above.

Also, while nothing close to an official canon has ever been hashed out, I do think that Zephyr's "Headcanon #2" is probably the closest to what the IP holders think the 'true' timeline is (just throw in movies 1 and 5 on the "things that happened" list, given the Daizenshuu 7 timeline and Garlic and Cooler's later appearances in the anime).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am

KBABZ wrote:I feel like DB plays fast and loose with canon in the sense that the focus is more on what story they want to tell rather than trying to figure out a story that can fit with what came before. To that end there are lots of different contradictory points (where does DBO fit in terms of GT or Super?), because it's not like the creators are all that concerned about it, right?
Dragon Ball Online takes place in the manga continuity, as such, it completely ignores Dragon Ball GT. In-universe speaking, it takes place 216 years after the end of the manga. So even when you throw in stuff from Akira Toriyama's outline for Dragon Ball Super, the game does not necessarily needs to say something about it (maybe it would if it hadn't closed), as the game unfortunately did not even tell us what Bra and Uub ended up doing, so there's that.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

If Akira Toriyama wrote it and/or approved it, it's canon to me. Anything else is not canon. Now, whether or not I enjoy canon or non-canon content is a different story.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:26 pm

By all accounts and purposes, if I disliked every saga after the Saiyan Saga and anything that came before and I chose to discard them, then by default my 'personal canon' would be the Saiyan Saga only.

There is no such thing as 'personal canon' because what IS canon stays canon. No question about it. Your 'Personal Canon' HAS to be exactly what the series' is. There's a difference between "I don't like this particular saga or portion of the show' to "I don't consider it canon"
El Conejo Malo