Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Your head cannon for Dragon Ball

Post by irreality » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 am

Misspellings aside, headcanon does not mean what you people think it means. It doesn't mean "my personal continuity/edited canon". It simply means a fan speculation you hold. If a headcanon is widely held, it is considered fanon.

Anyway, carry on. Sorry, I seem to be turning every thread into a terminology discussion. :oops:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 am

irreality wrote:Misspellings aside, headcanon does not mean what you people think it means. It doesn't mean "my personal continuity/edited canon". It simply means a fan speculation you hold. If a headcanon is widely held, it is considered fanon.

Anyway, carry on. Sorry, I seem to be turning every thread into a terminology discussion. :oops:
Headcanon is usually pretty personal and thus, many times, includes things that even the fan in question knows that shouldn't be considered on the same level as others, and yet the fan still does.

For example, a fan reads a fanfiction about the relationship of Vegeta and Bulma between the Cell arc and Buu arc. He likes it so much that he basically adopts those events as his headcanon regarding those two in that period of time. That would never be considered on the same level as anything else in the franchise in a serious debate regarding official canon or the fan's expectations for canon because it's just fanfiction, but, since headcanon is exclusively personal and the fan basically includes and excludes WHATEVER he wants, that doesn't matter.

On the other hand, while we could say that fanon could refer to that same fanfiction, fanon usually refers to just the ideas that aren't present in the official works, making it a term to refer to fan-made things that a fan might want to put on the same level as the official stuff, and it doesn't specify if it's just a personal view or something more widely agreed.

Headcanon includes whatever the fan wants, from both official and non-official and it's exclusively personal by defnition. So, I disagree that it's exactly the same thing.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Isn't that what I just said about headcanon?

Fanon is a more specific term, though: it is a fan held theory that is reused among different fan works -- nobody considers it canon, though, or on that level, it is just an idea that had subsumed among fans as convention. For a long time, "Bunny" was considered Bulma's mom "fanon" name (which I never liked, since it is not an underwear pun, and am much happier with Panty). There were other fanfiction tropes that became fanon, as well for a while -- some were pretty outlandish.

In any case, neither means the continuity of a series, which is what I was trying to say.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:34 pm

irreality wrote:Isn't that what I just said about headcanon?
Not really, no.

Headcanon ends up being a way of saying "my exclusively, personal, unapproved view of continuity of events regarding this franchise" while fanon ends up being a way a saying "the fan-created works that I or we want to put in a higher status".

I can say "my fanon is this" and then point out the numerous fan-made creations that I want to put in a higher status, and I can also say "the common fanon for this franchise is this" and then point the numerous fan-made creations that most fans want to put in a higher status.

However, when I say "my headcanon is this", I'm pointing towards a continuity that includes the official canon works plus whatever else I want to put beside them, namely whatever fan creations I want to put there, and there's no doubt that an exclusively personal view of mine.

Fanon follows opposite of canon, by just referring to the fan created works that we want to single out and put in higher status and not referring to actual canon. Headcanon, on the other hand, actually mixes everything and whatever the fan wants into a continuity which, without a doubt, is exclusively personal.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Bardock the father Of Goku.
Db episodes 1-153.
Db Kai episodes 1-54.
The history of Trunks
Db Kai episodes 55-164
Db Super episodes 1-???

Whatever Toriyama says in interviews that doesn't contradict the above in a big way.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:30 pm

519 chapters of the manga + anime without contradicting filler + bardock/trunks specials & 2008 special + Super

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm

For me it's:

Bardock: Father of Goku
Dragon Ball anime
Dragon Ball Z anime (+ History of Trunks special)
Battle of Gods movie
Resurrection F movie
???
EoZ

As of right now the ??? consists of the Universe 6 arc of Super that's about to come but I assume more will be added as Super continues.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:49 pm

irreality wrote:Misspellings aside, headcanon does not mean what you people think it means. It doesn't mean "my personal continuity/edited canon". It simply means a fan speculation you hold. If a headcanon is widely held, it is considered fanon.

It's fine and thank you for teaching me what head canon means (and I can't believe I spelt it wrong :oops: )
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Since I don't like saying headcanon, I'll just say that this is what I think is canon.

Bardock: The Father of Goku
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (Episodes 1-67)
Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!
Battle of Gods saga in Super/Battle of Gods
Resurrection F saga in Super/Resurrection F
The rest of Super (meaning whatever sagas happen from after the F saga all the way to the end of the series)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (Episodes 68 and 69)
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Since I don't like saying headcanon, I'll just say that this is what I think is canon.

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z Kai
The rest of Super (meaning whatever sagas happen from after the F saga all the way to the end of the series)
Add History of Trunks there and it is pretty much perfect.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Your personal canon for Dragon Ball

Post by Son Edo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:44 am

Person says there is no canon in Dragon Ball, Someone uses a filler scene as an example in a debate, same person says that was filler so it doesn't count. :crazy:

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:56 am

Jaco the Galactic Partrolman and Dragon Ball Minus
All Guidebooks and Interviews by Akira Toriyama
Dragon Ball(Manga)
Dragon Ball Kai
Dragon Ball Super

And i consider all of the Dragon Ball Movies,GT and fillers that are not in Kai as alternate timelines created by Future Trunks.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Since I don't like saying headcanon, I'll just say that this is what I think is canon.

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Add History of Trunks there and it is pretty much perfect.
The only problem is that I don't know where exactly to put it. Would it be right before the Trunks saga in Kai?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 pm

-Dragon Ball Minus.... just kidding :P Bardock special
- Main Jaco story
- DB anime
- DB Kai 1.0- inc. Trunks special
- DBZ (Buu arc) quite enjoy the fillers here compared to the other Z arcs.
- Yo! Goku and Pals Returns for this special!
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
- Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection "F"
- Dragon Ball Super: Universe 6 arc
- EoZ time placement.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:30 pm

I think it's a little ridiculous to try to follow Dragon Ball as strictly one continuity. Usually I break it down into two separate versions of the series in my... uh... head canon?

Canon-A (Mangaverse): Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman -> Dragon Ball (vol. 1-42) -> Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return -> Battle of Gods -> Resurrection 'F'

Canon-B (Animeverse): Bardock Special -> Dragon Ball -> Dragon Ball Z/Kai (including the Trunks special, movies 9 and 13 where appropriate) -> Dragon Ball Super

I think GT is fun at parts, and it certainly is a thing that exists, but I generally don't think much about it or care to consider it. Super Saiyan 4 Goku looks pretty cool, I guess?

As for the "End of Z", as many people have specified in their lists, I could take it or leave it. There's so much up in the air right now with both the movies and Super that I wouldn't be upset if we see some sort of retcon take place. That ending always left me feeling a little empty.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Soccerjam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soccerjam » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Bardock the Father of Goku
Dragon Ball(Emperor Pilaf to Piccolo Sagas)
Dead Zone
Saiyan Saga
Namek Saga
Frieza Saga
Garlic Jr. Saga
The History of Trunks
Trunks Saga
Cooler's Revenge
Return of Cooler
Android Saga
Imperfect Cell Saga
Perfect Cell Saga
Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan
The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
Cell Games Saga
Bojack Unbound
Great Saiyaman Saga
World Tournament Saga (Broly: Second Coming)
Babidi Saga
Majin Buu Saga (Bio Broly)
Fusion Saga
Kid Buu Saga
Wrath of the Dragon
Goku and Friends Return
Battle of Gods
Resurrection F
Black Star Dragon Balls Saga
Baby Saga
Super Android 17 Saga
Shadow Dragon Saga
A Hero's Legacy
Until We Meet Again
THE END :D :mrgreen: 8)

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 am

I don't think you should put a filler as canon in anything because filler even in anime itself mostly contradicting its own anime than not .
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

AS_Saiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AS_Saiyan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm

I see it as 3 differnt "cannon", a Manga Cannon, which is only the manga writen by Toriyama, an Anime Cannon which includes the meterials that are closer to Troiyama's original product (DBZKai) and meterials that were created by him (YSGAFR, DBSuper), and a Toei Cannon which includes Toei's orginal products (DBGT) and the 3 movies that could fit into that timeline. The thing that are not included here, are the ones that I REALLY consider non-cannon.

Manga Cannon
Dragonball manga vol. 1-42
Jaco The Galactic Patrolman
Dragon Ball Minus

Anime Cannon
Dragon Ball anime
Dragon Ball Z Kai anime
History of Trunks
Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return
Dragon Ball Super/BoG movie+RF movie+U6 arc

Toei Cannon
Dragon Ball anime
Dragon Ball Z anime
Bardock: Father of Goku
History of Trunks
Movies 1,9,13
Dragon Ball GT
A Hero's Legecy
New User :) A Dragonball fan for over 10 years. My favorite character(s) are Kuririn and Goku.
And yeah, I need to find better signature.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Anything that is written by Akira Toriyama.
Hi

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Tzigi wrote:I think that this may be of some use here:
xkcd wrote:The nice thing about headcannnons is that it's really easy to get other people to believe in them.
Glorious.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames