Why don't they have two opposing villains appear at once?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why don't they have two opposing villains appear at once?

Post by precita » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:00 pm

This is something I always found amusing. Each new villain only shows up after the previous one is defeated, so there aren't "conflicts" of two opposing villains trying to destroy the world at the same time. The closest we came to this was when Radditz appeared on Earth and Piccolo still had plans to conquer the world at the time, but he quickly put that aside to team-up against Radditz. Or Vegeta on Namek, who was still evil but taking out Freeza's forces.

Like what would have happened if Babidi tried to revive Majin Buu while Cell was fighting the main characters? Or what if Cyborg Freeza came to Earth after Dr. Gero had already released the androids?

In other shows I always like the idea of two villains hating each other and fighting each other along with the heroes, and its something DBZ rarely does.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why don't they have two opposing villains appear at once

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Vegeta on Namek was what I thought of immediately. There was also Cell vs. 16, 17, and 18, and when Buu turned on Babidi.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:40 pm

I always thought there should be a timeline where Perfect Cell kills everyone, stretches out for a relaxing life of pillaging the galaxy, and promptly gets taken down a peg by Majin Boo.

It's an iron law: every villain is target practice for the next. None of this "Androids kill everyone for decades" shit.

He has to travel back in time to get the help of his frienemy-crush, Goku.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 pm

What are you talking about? The best part of the Android Saga was there were two opposing villains (Cell, Android Trio) to deal with at the same time.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm probably never going to do anything with this idea, so:

"It seems that Cell and this spiky-haired fighter have both disappeared, leaving the battlefield eerily qui--What's this? It seems these two new fighters just ambushed the tired boy that was, moments earlier, holding his own against Cell! Mr. Satan, what can this mean?"
"Is that Spopovich? I defeated him in the last tournament! Clearly, he's trying to regain his glory--"
"CELL'S NOT DEAD GAAAAH!"

Commence fustercluck. After all, it's implied that Gohan and Cell together should be more than enough to revive Majin Buu, so if Babidi got to Spopovich just a wee bit earlier...

(To make matters more fun, if they did get the drop on Cell with the energy collector, Mr. Satan could make a show of taking the incapacitated Cell prisoner. But that doesn't quite count as villain Vs villain, unless we have rather different opinions of Mr. Satan.)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Yeah I would count Namek too, since Vegeta wasn't really a Z-Fighter yet.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Yeah; they basically did do this, in both the Namek and Cell arcs.

The issue is that since villains tend to be threats to the heroes through their superior power, the weaker threat is forced fairly quickly to throw in with the main cast, or in general take backseat.

The Champa-Beerus dynamic might be some kinda somethin', even if Beerus is pretty distant from the role of antagonist at this point.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:46 am

Um, Cell/Androids? Vegeta/Frieza? I'd even mention Pilaf and RRA.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Vegeta/Nappa. Vegeta/Ginyu Force/Freeza.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Red Ribbon Androids/Piccolo's Demon Clan/Babidi's Majins....?

Poor Percel.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:41 pm

When I read this topic, I figured OP meant two opposing villains of equal power.

Cell > androids

Frieza > Vegeta.

So basically, like Team Magma and Team Aqua from Pokemon, who are bitter enemies and equal in power, but both need to be stopped by the main character.

I like the idea. It'd be something like Cooler and Frieza being opposed to each other. Or Ice Shenron vs Nuova Shenron. Something like that.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Well,thing is,if freeza would have came during the android saga,hed have to deal with 3 ssjs far stronger than he is.so would be pointless.Plus cell was made with freeza's dna,so no dead freeza no cell.

As for babidi,well if hed have come then,would have proly been a bad idea,since I'm sure cell would have never teamed up with him and would have possibly opposed dabura along with the z fighters.

But i guess they would have been in more of a tight spot with 2 cell level opponents compared to just 1.

but that is an interesting idea.