The Darkest Scenes in the Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

The Darkest Scenes in the Series?

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:28 pm

It's really surprising that for such a lighthearted series, there are so many dark moments in here, isn't it? I mean, really. In fact, I was just rewatching this scene here...and it's rather stunning how dark it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxJCxq1slY&t=2m39s

And yeah. Anyone else got any notable examples of some really dark scenes in this series?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

precita
Banned

Re: The Darkest Scenes in the Series?

Post by precita » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Easily the serial killer in the Buu saga who gunned down an old couple on-screen. And then went on a killing spree because the world was ending. Its the most realistic violence the show ever did.

Majin Buu killing both of them, especially going into the mouth of the older guy and blowing him up was also dark but satisfying. Also the dub gave the blonde guy a Australian accent, funnily enough.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm

precita wrote:Easily the serial killer in the Buu saga who gunned down an old couple on-screen. And then went on a killing spree because the world was ending. Its the most realistic violence the show ever did.

Majin Buu killing both of them, especially going into the mouth of the older guy and blowing him up was also dark but satisfying. Also the dub gave the blonde guy a Australian accent, funnily enough.
Really? You think so? I mean, to each their own and all that, but, seems to me that all of that took place in broad daylight.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Freeza beating Vegeta to death and Piccolo giving up his life to save Gohan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Seems like nobody got the joke.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:Seems like nobody got the joke.
Joke? Who's joking here? The scene I linked to really was dark, just like I said! In fact, here's another one I just thought of. This one gets pretty dark too, especially at the 3:02 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StEexsDJgDs&t=3m02

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Seems like nobody got the joke.
Joke? Who's joking here? The scene I linked to really was dark, just like I said. In fact, here's another one I just thought of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StEexsDJgDs&t=3m02s
Oh, but of course. I thought Goku vs Beerus' fight in space was pretty dark too, by the way.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Tao-pai-pai killing Bora. It was sad seeing Oopa/Upa (which one is correct ?) see his father die right in front of him.
precita wrote:Easily the serial killer in the Buu saga who gunned down an old couple on-screen. And then went on a killing spree because the world was ending. Its the most realistic violence the series ever did.

C'mon man!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Yo Goku's fight with Yakon was totally dark and gritty!
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Can't get much darker than when Goku went to drink the Ultra Divine Water in the Cave of Darkness.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Oh oh that scene where Goku meets Mr popo, he was pretty dark. Before Kai that is

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:04 pm

That filler where naked Goku fights naked Gotenks. It's dark-ish.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Piccolo dying in the Saiyan arc. Because at stage there was no way to tell there would be a second set of Dragon Balls to bail them out. So when Piccolo died, as far as we knew, there would be no more Dragon Balls, and everyone who had died prior to Piccolo would stay dead forever. And just thinking about that scenario as a kid was quite haunting.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:57 am

Man, Doctor brings up such a good point...I mean, I can't think of much that could've possibly topped Goku and Beerus in space...but I can't let that stop me! I've GOT to find something even darker than that...for now though, we'll just have to settle with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZL8ZVsaMHo&t=55m49s

It's truly incredible just how dark Baba's tournament was, isn't it? It gives even the Dark Tournament in Yu Yu Hakusho a run for it's money :shock: ...

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 am

There are definitely quite a few.

- Most scenes in the Piccolo Daimao saga, starting with Krillin's death. That just came out of nowhere. The death of Roshi, Chaouzu, then the Dragon in one sequence was also scary in how hopeless it seemed to beat Piccolo, or bring the main characters back to life. This would be copied several times afterward.

- Freeza's slaughtering of Dende's entire village was a great display of how ruthless these characters were, and how screwed the main's were in going up against them. From the needless neck snap, to Cargot's abrupt death, that shit was brutal.

- Cell "drinking" that random pedestrian was such scary imagery. Freaked me out when I first saw it.

- Future Gohan's death (though through his own stupidity) was another intense scene. Maybe it's the music, the rain, or the relationship that had been so well set up between him and Trunks that made the scene so depressing.
Last edited by Man-Child on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 am

The darkest things I've ever seen from this franchise are the online fanfics. You know what I mean.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:24 am

I just got the joke.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:26 am

Muten Roshi pressin Maron-chan's (Krillin's GF) boobs was by far darkish! :twisted:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:35 am

The filler from the Saiyan Saga where the humans fight the Saiyans of the past. Dark as hell.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:16 am

The manga doesn't really have many dark scenes thanks to Toriyama's allergy to inking. Hmmm...I'd say, Goku and Gohan turning into an Oozaru for the first time...wait, the moon was still there.

Then, whenever Shenlong/Porunga is summoned, maybe? :think:
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.