The Dragon Ball Ford Focus ad on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Dragon Ball Ford Focus ad on YouTube

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Has anyone else seen this? I'm just flipping through YouTube videos minding my own business, then suddenly bam I see Krillin and Gohan standing in front of Porunga. I'm like huh? Did I click the wrong video?

Then I realize it's an add, and Krillin is wishing for all these cars with all these features, he's like we need to listen to some tunes while we cruise around Namek and Gohan is just in the background like "yeah man yeah." Then Porunga tells them how awesome the Ford Focus is and they should just wish for that instead of three different cars.

It was the most startling, incredible thing ever, and I need to talk to people about it.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Ford Focus add on YouTube

Post by B » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:32 pm

A google search leads me only to a Reddit thread asking the same thing(is that you?). A twitter search leads me to a single tweet from 12 hours ago, which again, may be you. Care to link to the video you saw it on? I have no idea if I would see the same ad, but...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:01 pm

B wrote:A google search leads me only to a Reddit thread asking the same thing(is that you?). A twitter search leads me to a single tweet from 12 hours ago, which again, may be you. Care to link to the video you saw it on? I have no idea if I would see the same ad, but...
Nope, this is the only thread I've made. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's seen it, otherwise I'd have thought I was going insane. I can't find the add as its own video on YouTube, it just shows up as an add on certain videos.

EDIT: Oh I read your post wrong, one second and I'll grab a link to the video I saw it on.

EDIT 2: Here it is http://youtu.be/DyFuZYw6D_w the adds are different each time though.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:17 pm

That sounds like an odd dream or something... :?

I refreshed the video several times trying to find it, but no luck (there's no telling how many ads it cycles through)... You sure it wasn't some kind of parody or something? Like a video being advertised?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 pm

My friend sent me a shitty low quality off screen recording of it this morning.
I can't find the actual video on youtube though.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:My friend sent me a shitty low quality off screen recording of it this morning.
I can't find the actual video on youtube though.
Can you post the video, please?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:That sounds like an odd dream or something... :?

I refreshed the video several times trying to find it, but no luck (there's no telling how many ads it cycles through)... You sure it wasn't some kind of parody or something? Like a video being advertised?
Krillin sounded a bit off, but Porunga was 100% Chris Sabat, and Gohan seemed to be Colleen Clinkenbeard (he didn't have too many lines though so hard to be certain).

It definitely WAS like an odd dream lol. I guess somebody in Ford likes Dragon Ball :P

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:That sounds like an odd dream or something... :?

Krillin sounded a bit off, but Porunga was 100% Chris Sabat, and Gohan seemed to be Colleen Clinkenbeard (he didn't have too many lines though so hard to be certain).

It definitely WAS like an odd dream lol. I guess somebody in Ford likes Dragon Ball :P
It just doesn't make any sense, though... I can't find any evidence of this video anywhere. I'm not calling you a liar, but I really don't get it...

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm a little surprised too, especially if this was supposedly some kind of dubbed ad...that just seems really, really odd and even unlikely. There's been plenty of ads for stuff back in the day, in Japan, but I don't think we've ever had an English Dragon Ball ad that wasn't pitching the franchise itself in some way or another.

...Actually, pretty much all of the old Japanese ads I know of were pitching products for the show as well, so...I'd be highly intrigued to see this if it does exist.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Someone needs to get a screenshot or link to the video.

*cough*I honestly just get the feeling that I'm getting my leg pulled, though...*cough*

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 am

Okay. Wow. I am speechless. Amused. But speechless.

I guess the one thing I can say is that I find myself wondering why Ford has the video unlisted.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:53 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:Here's the advertisement.
Beat me to the punch.

Wow, I was really, really skeptical. This actually reminds me a lot of the Mercedes-Nintendo partnership.

EDIT: I want a Japanese version of this! :P
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:03 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:Here's the advertisement.
That was amazingly bizarre. XD

I like that it's Krillin though; somehow it being him makes this commercial.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:36 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Okay. Wow. I am speechless. Amused. But speechless.

I guess the one thing I can say is that I find myself wondering why Ford has the video unlisted.
They don't have the rights to the footage perhaps? Or maybe this is their way of screening an ad, before releasing it to the general public?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:01 am

What on earth was this? That was Chris Sabat voicing the dragon and Sonny Straight as Krillin so did FUNI do this?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:06 am

precita wrote:What on earth was this? That was Chris Sabat voicing the dragon and Sonny Straight as Krillin so did FUNI do this?
Yes, this is an official ad with FUNimation's cast.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:13 am

Well, I guess this is an indication of how popular Dragon Ball has become to the American audience. If Ford partners with Funimation for an advertisement, that shows just how much influence Dragon Ball has in culture and the media. That, or someone on Ford's PR team is a massive Dragon Ball fan. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:38 am

Ford Focuses do have a little interior set of lights where you can cycle through different colors (among I think 5 different choices, 3 of them are aqua, yellow, and red, so you can technically do all 3 ssj aura-colors).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:41 am

That is amazing. I loved that, especially how Porunga kept getting cut off half way through his sentences because Krillin kept saying his next wish.