Do couples in the DB universe seem believable?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan2015

Do couples in the DB universe seem believable?

Post by DBZfan2015 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I understand these characters are fictional, but would you buy these people hooking up and getting married in the real world if they were real life humans?

Let's say there are people in our world with the characters' personalities. Could you see them dating and getting married?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do couples in the DB universe seem believable?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 pm

I already saw so many stupid things in my life, that barely anything surprises me anymore.
With that mind and taking the most famous couples as example:

Goku/Chichi
The carefree man that is more interested in himself and his fun, while the wife has to do "everything" and look for their family.

Vegeta/Bulma
Vegeta is a goldigger. :P

There's a lot of these two examples in real life. Most end up in divorce.

Gohan/Videl and Krillin/C18 seem to be the perfect couples.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Videl 2.0 is perfect to the point where's she's become the least believable woman.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Arranged marriages are a thing, so Goku and Chi Chi's relationship is believable. Krillin did use a wish to take a bomb out of 18's chest, I mean, if someone did that for me, I would be drawn to them, under the circumstances them making a baby is believable. Toriyama actually tried with Videl and Gohan, he cultured something so I find it believable.

Vegeta and Bulma hooking up is the least believable. The common stereotype is girls like bad boys, but bad boys that committed genocide with no remorse? And would still treat all your friends and you like shit? And sometimes let some evil wizard possess him for more power, and explode a section of the world tournament with people still there? Nah, they would have split up shortly after making Trunks.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:06 pm

I'd say Videl and Gohan were always my favourite couple, which is likely cause I saw it as believable.
They easily have the most development before they get together, and we see them learn to care for one another.
S'probly the closest thing to a relationship in the damn series, one that isn't a simple cut-away followed by 'oh these guys are together now'.

But in hindsight a lot of them are believable. Gullible home-school girl wants the guy who promised her marriage as a kid, Horny teens get together after having adventures searching for mystical dragon balls together (and ultimately break up cause horny teens), an ex evil chick falling for a guy who let her run away when his mission was to kill her, used a wish from an eternal dragon to make her less cyborgy, and generally took care of her when no one else would.
I'd say the relationships are realistic (maybe minus Vegeta/Bulma, which I think was there for A: Trunks and B: shock value), they're just not developed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Goku and Chi Chi's relationship was a case of "You love me and I kinda like you, so screw it, let's get hitched.". Vegeta and Bulma's relationship originated from a one night stand. Gohan and Videl were high school sweethearts that eventually tied the knot. Krillin and #18 is just a case of Krillin hitting the jackpot. Most of Dragon Ball's relationship are pretty poorly built up, but it's not like they don't happen in real life, because they do.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Also Krillin and 18 had 7 years off-screen to develop their relationship. I seriously doubt 18 immediately fell on Krillin's lap immediately after the Cell arc ending. Maron was only 3 years old in the Buu saga so either way they waited 4 years into their relationship to have a kid.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Goku and Chi-Chi's relationship is completely random and shouldn't work at all for me but its also the only time any character treats Goku for what he is: an asshole so I'm a-okay with.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Goku and Chi-Chi's relationship is completely random and shouldn't work at all for me but its also the only time any character treats Goku for what he is: an asshole so I'm a-okay with.
How many assholes can ride the flying nimbus though?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Goku and Chi-Chi's relationship is completely random and shouldn't work at all for me but its also the only time any character treats Goku for what he is: an asshole so I'm a-okay with.
Just one and his name is Goku. I mean, I don't think he's an asshole like Vegeta but as Z has gone on, him putting his obsession for fighting over everything has made Chi-Chi's complaints about him becoming a stupid, fighting obsessed meat head are basically true.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:34 pm

For the most part...not really, at least not at first. It's only in filler, and in material from recent years, that most of the couples have gotten fleshed out enough to the point that we can actually see that they care for each other enough to stay together for ourselves, and not just take the story's word on it. It's been one of the best things about some of the newer material and it's slice-of-life moments, honestly.

Speaking just of stuff back in the day though? I'd say the couple that had the most believable build up was Gohan and Videl, and even that one was benefited by decent amounts of filler.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZfan2015

Post by DBZfan2015 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I always saw Krillin as the good-hearted, but nerdy guy from school, and Android 18 as the hot troublemaking chick who rebels against her teachers and principal. I saw them as the bad girl and the nice, dorky guy.
Last edited by DBZfan2015 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Just one and his name is Goku. I mean, I don't think he's an asshole like Vegeta but as Z has gone on, him putting his obsession for fighting over everything has made Chi-Chi's complaints about him becoming a stupid, fighting obsessed meat head are basically true.
He's still a Saiyan though. His innate is to love fighting more than anything else. I mean, he puts himself in situations where he has to fight because most of the time he want to test his limits and he just flat out enjoys fighting like any pure blooded Saiyan would. This is something that was very apparent when he was teenager as he let Piccolo live despite the fact that Piccolo nearly killed and despite several warnings from Kami that letting Piccolo live was wrong thing to do. Goku still did it because he wanted to fight Piccolo again. Goku himself even acknowledges himself he can be very selfish and put his own needs ahead everyone else. But he has also shown remorse for when his love of fighting has fucked up things. While Goku may prioritise fighting over a lot of things, at the end of the day, this doesn't stop him from wanting to protect his family or friends if shit gets really deep.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
He's still a Saiyan though. His innate is to love fighting more than anything else. I mean, he puts himself in situations where he has to fight because most of the time he want to test his limits and he just flat out enjoys fighting like any pure blooded Saiyan would. This is something that was very apparent when he was teenager as he let Piccolo live despite the fact that Piccolo nearly killed and despite several warnings from Kami that letting Piccolo live was wrong thing to do. Goku still did it because he wanted to fight Piccolo again. Goku himself even acknowledges himself he can be very selfish and put his own needs ahead everyone else. But he has also shown remorse for when his love of fighting has fucked up things. While Goku may prioritise fighting over a lot of things, at the end of the day, this doesn't stop him from wanting to protect his family or friends if shit gets really deep.
That's my problem with him though, if his fighting obsession never put everyone else at risk or made him not give a shit about anyone or anything else as obviously as it does, I wouldn't care. But his obsession has needlessly put the planet at risk and has made him a bad father who takes any chance he can get to abandon them and his friends for the sake of fighting.

The only time he shows giving a damn about anything else is when things have gotten so bad even he can't ignore it or when his family or friends are useful for training or in-danger. Without either of those things, he's perfectly fine with not seeing them for years on end.

I get that he's a hick and a Saiyan but he's also been around other people for years now and I just don't buy him being this far up his own ass about this stuff anymore. He's a grown ass man and that should mean something besides letting Toriyama give him kids he can abandon and draw him as a grown up.

At the very least, the rest of the cast should stop sucking his balls already and call him out on his bad behavior in a meaningful way and now the "Chi-Chi is such a nagging bitch!" way. I'd like for Goku's much praised yet never actually there maturation to actually happen already. Instead the story just glosses this over like every bad implication not called Beerus because Toriyama wants Goku not being a noble hero to be contrivance for easy plot related things to happen instead of an actual flaw to his character.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Bulma's relationships seem the most believable to me. Women are generally more hypergamous than men so I think it's no surprise she leapt at the chance to get with Vegeta. Despite the fact that Vegeta was a complete asshole, he was superior to Yamcha genetically (aside from height) which she undoubtedly knew would lead to better offspring (Gohan being a previous example). On top of all that, Bulma was an incredibly rich and spoilt woman so it wouldn't surprise me if having a superior Saiyan husband was also an ego thing for her.

For Chi-chi and Goku, I suppose it is sort of believable since Chi-chi was a very traditional and old fashioned. I do think she'd probably remarry after the Cell games though.

Krillin and 18 seems the least realistic to me. I realize there's plenty of unattractive guys who luck out and get with beautiful women but usually in those cases the girl is getting something out of it like security (financial or otherwise) or benefitting from the guy's social circles. 18 doesn't seem very friendly with Krillin's group of friends nor does he seem to be very successful financially. Being stronger than krillin she definitely doesn't need him for security but perhaps she just has some hidden emotional baggage that we don't see, I suppose that could explain it.

Videl and Gohan are believable but only due to Gohan essentially being Superman. If he didn't have that whole initial air of mystery going for him (plus his powers) he would've likely been friendzoned early on for being too nerdy and she'd go out with that Sharpener guy or meet somebody through her father.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:07 pm

NitroEX wrote:Bulma's relationships seem the most believable to me. Women are generally more hypergamous than men so I think it's no surprise she leapt at the chance to get with Vegeta. Despite the fact that Vegeta was a complete asshole, he was superior to Yamcha genetically (aside from height) which she undoubtedly knew would lead to better offspring (Gohan being a previous example). On top of all that, Bulma was an incredibly rich and spoilt woman so it wouldn't surprise me if having a superior Saiyan husband was also an ego thing for her.
And I guess most women will also ignore the genocide? And the royal fuckups that would endanger those same women, along with her family and friends? Bulma got turned into chocolate and was eaten, because of Vegeta. Well, half Goku, half Vegeta. And Goku had saved the world enough times, to not blacklist him off Spacebook, unlike Vegeta.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:26 pm

FoolsGil wrote:And I guess most women will also ignore the genocide? And the royal fuckups that would endanger those same women, along with her family and friends? Bulma got turned into chocolate and was eaten, because of Vegeta. Well, half Goku, half Vegeta. And Goku had saved the world enough times, to not blacklist him off Spacebook, unlike Vegeta.
Well Goku was taken and Bulma didn't know she'd end up dead because of Vegeta or that he'd kill people again. it's a common thing for women to try to change bad men so that's probably another reason she was into him.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 pm

NitroEX wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:And I guess most women will also ignore the genocide? And the royal fuckups that would endanger those same women, along with her family and friends? Bulma got turned into chocolate and was eaten, because of Vegeta. Well, half Goku, half Vegeta. And Goku had saved the world enough times, to not blacklist him off Spacebook, unlike Vegeta.
Well Goku was taken and Bulma didn't know she'd end up dead because of Vegeta or that he'd kill people again. it's a common thing for women to try to change bad men so that's probably another reason she was into him.
I'd give you that one. Though I think most would have quit, after being eaten, lol.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:08 am

Why do people think 18/Krillin is unbelieveable because 18 is "too attractive" for Krillin? Are you guys being serious?

Aside from Krillin being short when has he ever been considered ugly by people in the series? I can't think of a time. Likewise she saw him wish the bomb out of her, something she would be eternally greatful for.

And finally, 7 years of off-screen interactions happened. 18 didn't fall in Krillin's lap the day after the Cell saga ended. They probably had some mutual friendship at first and it led to them dating. That's why Maron is also only 3 in the Buu arc instead of 7 like Goten...they obviously didn't get together and have a kid right away.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Gohan and Videl are really the only believable couple. In real life, Chi-Chi would divorce Goku because she'd be pissed that he wouldn't work or do anything romantic, while Bulma would probably kick out Vegeta because he's an asshat who doesn't care about anything except training, and Tenshinhan is too asexual to go out with Lunch. 18 and Kuririn could work, but even in-universe I find it somewhat implausible that they got together.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu