Do couples in the DB universe seem believable?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do couples in the DB universe seem believable?

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Good question. My stance is generally that real life and fiction are two entirely different things. It goes for anything, really. And that's not a bad thing, because fiction would kind of suck if it were realistic.

Case in point, I'd say none any of the DB couples are truly realistic, but this goes for pretty much every other anime out there, too.

-I don't think Chi-Chi would realistically put up with Goku's long absences like that without explanation.
-Vegeta and Bulma? Depends on whether he's still killed people or not. Realistically, there's no way someone who's done that would even be on the streets. :P But if we leave that out along with the superpowers, then I suppose it might work. They're both about as alpha as you can get, Vegeta's height aside. And Bulma's rich, too,
-On a side note, Yamcha dating Bulma kind of reminds me of those high school couples that would last like a week tops. Yamcha seems like a bad boy and cool guy at first, but it wouldn't take long for Bulma to get tired of him. It'd be pretty absurd to date for over a decade and then break up.
-Android 18 is WAY out of Krillin's league, so there's no way she'd even notice him, realistically.
-Much like above, there's no way Videl would go for someone like Gohan, ever. He's a nice guy and a nerd. Plus she's rich, so she has an even wider selection.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm

They're either portrayed as lopsided and abusive or too perfect. None of it is representative of a real couple. Well... none of it is representative of a successful couple, anyhow.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat May 20, 2017 2:29 am

Nah, Goku and Chi-Chi's relation ship was essentially Goku going through a promise he made with Chi-Chi. However, you can chalk it up to being Chi-Chi having a child hood crush, and I do suppose that Goku being Goku did eventually manage to win her over.

Bulma's and Vegeta's is less believable. To this day I question how, and why she would have slept with a mass murdering psychopath who killed her friends, and nearly destroyed Earth. I would actually go ahead and call her actions with Vegeta to be character assassination.

Videl, and Gohan's is more believable it essentially started off as a teenager flick, and bloomed into something much, much more.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 20, 2017 2:37 am

Dragon Ball couples, ranked:

1. Gohan/Videl - Believable peers who come together out of a common niche interest; this one seems pretty healthy
2. Bulma/Vegeta - People with strong personalities are often attracted to other strong personalities, regardless of moral implication
3. Tenshinhan/Chaozu - Pretty believable
4. Goku/Chi-Chi - Not so great
5. Kuririn/#18 - This is okay. Most of the development happens off screen, and Kuririn is a bit fawning; depends on what their courtship looked like

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 am

Why do people think Krillin/18 is unbelieveable? Krillin has never been seen as unattractive in canon, just short. Just because 18 is a blonde doesn't mean she's looking for some muscle-bound meathead.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 20, 2017 3:42 am

precita wrote:Why do people think Krillin/18 is unbelieveable? Krillin has never been seen as unattractive in canon, just short. Just because 18 is a blonde doesn't mean she's looking for some muscle-bound meathead.
I don't know. Why are people so scandalized by the idea of Vegeta/Bulma when they go to another thread to talk about how much they'd like to dick Vados, an emotionally abusive space sociopath?

Cognitive dissonance, thy name is Dragon Ball fans.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 20, 2017 3:45 am

Also another good point is Maron is only 3 years old in the Buu saga, but there's a 7 year gap between the end of the Cell arc and when we see Krillin/18 married.

So assuming Krillin/18 did start dating or whatever not too long after the Cell arc, they still waited 4 years into their relationship to have a kid. I think this is pretty realistic, it's not like Krillin/18 got together automatically the next day and got married and knocked up. The only reason we don't think of this is because the 7 year gap is off-screen. So Krillin/18 had at least 4 years to get to know each other before Maron was born...how is this not realistic?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat May 20, 2017 5:12 am

Bulma going out with a genocide commuting psycho who ordered the execution of all her childhood friends and first love feels like total bullshit.

All the others are fine.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sat May 20, 2017 5:16 am

precita wrote:Why do people think Krillin/18 is unbelieveable? Krillin has never been seen as unattractive in canon, just short. Just because 18 is a blonde doesn't mean she's looking for some muscle-bound meathead.

A lot of people seems to project their own insecurities when it comes to this couple, not to mention all the cliches taken as face value.
That aside, I think C18 would be initially reluctant to hang out with anyone that remids her that chapter of her life, but Krillin is a nice guy that obviously cares for her, so maybe that made an impression on her.

Gohan and Videl is probably the most believable, because it's pretty much by the book, ignoring one of them is an insanely powerful half-alien. He could have help her with maths instead of teaching how to fly, and the story would work the same. We get to see how it develops, too, which is more that we can say about the other relationships of the series.

The saiyan relationships came out of the blue. AK wanted to marry Goku, and he needed parents for Trunks. At this point of the story is nice and fun to see their interactions as a couple, but the way how they arrive at that point is contrived.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Bardock and Gine is definitely believable. Imagine Gine always in trouble with gangsters or whatever and Bardock always appearing there to save her. :D

Also, why was this thread resurrected? The last post was in 2015! :eh:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 20, 2017 3:37 pm

- Goku and Chi-Chi: They have strong personalities and Goku is an extremely charismatic man. We know they love eachothers. Chi-Chi also doesn't seem like someone who loves to have sex (like Goku) so this couple can definitely work.
- Vegeta and Bulma: They both have very strong personalities, a seemingly high sex-drive and a very big ego. Vegeta is not a gold digger because he could realistically rob all the banks in the world or ask Shenron for unlimited wealth.
- 18 and Krillin: Krillin seems like the loser guy who manages to make the most gorgeous girl of the school fall in love for him. It's that sort of couple which makes many wonder "How did he get her" but there exist in the real world so it can be believable.
- Gohan and Videl: The standard high-school couple, which have no previous experience, who fall in love and spend the rest of their lives together. Very plausible, they obviously love each others.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

18 & Krillin got the best exectued relationship. Mutual attraction from the start and it continues forward. They seem most believeable.

Vegeta & Bulma end up in that spot but at first there doesn't seem to be much between them other than "sex happened, Bulma got preggo". Though I guess that's a different kind of realistic, not so rarely couples start accidentaly/casually or even as just friends and grow closer together as the time goes.

Gohan & Videl are cute in DBZ but in Super, watching paint dry is more exciting than watching these two "interact".

Chi-Chi & Goku can hardly be considered a couple, there's literally nothing from Goku's side there but then again, other than fighting and eating there's nothing else to Goku anyway.

Future Trunks & Mai are ok but I just don't buy their chemistry, the relationship seems forced as if Toriyama was searching for any established available female to pair him up with and Mai was basically the only one that could sorta qualify.

Tenshinhan & Chaozu I will comment on when Toriyama develops balls to actually state/draw/write it openly.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:18 pm

They're all believable in their own, unique way. I mean, didn't Goku x Chi-Chi start the whole childhood promise trend in anime/manga?

Bulma and Vegeta are fairly vain, shallow people so naturally they'd be seeing each other on the hush. Krillin was such a real and nice person which turned #18 on. Gohan understood Videl and was the first boy she seriously hung around.

Toriyama may have claimed to not be good with romance but he sure knew how to set up interest ones.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.