International Channel, anyone still remembers?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegitasama992

International Channel, anyone still remembers?

Post by Vegitasama992 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello, just like in subject anyone still remembers Dragon Ball Z has been broadcasted on international channel in late 90s? Since I'm from Poland I couldn't watch this channel on my TV but some time ago I bought recordings of Dragon Ball Z from this channel :) I've had only access in downloading them by kazaa and DC++ but however it was hard to find them on the internet even in 2003-2006 years when DVD Rips have been realesed. To be honest I prefer RAW original version of Dragon Ball Z instead of remastered ones :) There was a clue audio quality was way better than DVD ones because it hasn't been edited. By the way when Dragon Ball Z aired to International Channel to America? It was around 1997-1998 year? What's your opinion? Do you also prefer RAW version? Below there are some videos from youtube which I uploaded to internet. Opening and some fighting scenes from episode. Sorry for terrible quality but I captured these videos by USB Video Grabber which is really bad :P Shame I've lost somewhere my television card :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5i0Y9IVgAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_IRWgSAfc

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: International Channel, anyone still remembers?

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 pm

I remember! Before Funimation's release of season 3 in the US, this was the only way to watch episode 67 and beyond on TV, albeit in Japanese without subtitles. The footage was aged, so I imagine it was the original Japanese broadcast video with a watermark embedded.

After spending too much money on some really low quality FUNimation VHS releases, the International Channel broadcast became the preferred version to watch for myself and friends. It didn't matter if we couldn't fully understand it, it was Dragonball and somehow seemed better because it was uncut.

Vegitasama992

Post by Vegitasama992 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I remember! Before Funimation's release of season 3 in the US, this was the only way to watch episode 67 and beyond on TV, albeit in Japanese without subtitles. The footage was aged, so I imagine it was the original Japanese broadcast video with a watermark embedded.

I've read on the forums like you said it was only way to watch nextly episodes in late 90s in USA because International Channel was outrunning the broadcast of Dragon Ball Z. Or I'm wrong though? By the way Freeza Saga in Japanese version aired in 1997 in USA to International Channel?
LuckyCat wrote:After spending too much money on some really low quality FUNimation VHS releases, the International Channel broadcast became the preferred version to watch for myself and friends. It didn't matter if we couldn't fully understand it, it was Dragonball and somehow seemed better because it was uncut.
Uncut is cool even if it was without english subtitles. To be honest I hate English version of Dragon Ball Z. If I was living in the USA at those times I chose the International Channel Japanese Version for sure! :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 am

Vegitasama992 wrote:I've read on the forums like you said it was only way to watch nextly episodes in late 90s in USA because International Channel was outrunning the broadcast of Dragon Ball Z. Or I'm wrong though? By the way Freeza Saga in Japanese version aired in 1997 in USA to International Channel?
That's correct. They were airing an episode every week (and went right into Dragon Ball GT when they wrapped up Z), so they were able to run beyond what FUNimation had pretty easily, albeit at a slow pace.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am

All I remember about the International Channel is that I had no idea what it was, but a lot of AMVs at the time had it's logo on the bottom right. And at that time the quality from that footage looked very decent compared to what other AMVs used for footage.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Drabaz wrote:All I remember about the International Channel is that I had no idea what it was, but a lot of AMVs at the time had it's logo on the bottom right.
That's how I think of the Pearl clips. It wasn't until a Kanzenshuu podcast that I learned what Pearl was. Unlike Int'l Channel, Pearl was bad quality and had subs using words like "These chaps can manipulate their power ratings!!"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Vegitasama992 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:I remember! Before Funimation's release of season 3 in the US, this was the only way to watch episode 67 and beyond on TV, albeit in Japanese without subtitles. The footage was aged, so I imagine it was the original Japanese broadcast video with a watermark embedded.

I've read on the forums like you said it was only way to watch nextly episodes in late 90s in USA because International Channel was outrunning the broadcast of Dragon Ball Z. Or I'm wrong though? By the way Freeza Saga in Japanese version aired in 1997 in USA to International Channel?
LuckyCat wrote:After spending too much money on some really low quality FUNimation VHS releases, the International Channel broadcast became the preferred version to watch for myself and friends. It didn't matter if we couldn't fully understand it, it was Dragonball and somehow seemed better because it was uncut.
Uncut is cool even if it was without english subtitles. To be honest I hate English version of Dragon Ball Z. If I was living in the USA at those times I chose the International Channel Japanese Version for sure! :)
I used to watch the end of the Cell games on one of the Spanish station and could not believe how different the animation was :lol: I didn't get FUJI TV (oddly straight from Japan) till the late 90's/early 2000's and it was too late for Dragon Ball. However, I did see some Chibi Marukochan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:31 pm

I seem to recall that International Channel would split the Dragon Ball GT special into two episodes. Does anyone remember how this was accomplished and what edits or additions were made?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I seem to recall that International Channel would split the Dragon Ball GT special into two episodes. Does anyone remember how this was accomplished and what edits or additions were made?
They just cut it at some point and aired the same ending twice.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Wow the International Channel! I'd always look forward to watching DBGT on Sunday's. Got to see these episodes before Funimation released them on home video too. Part of the fun was watching GT in raw Japanese I'd only seen the dub at that point so it was kind of a trip lol I remember recording the TV special for GT, it was split in half midway through where Goku and Puck are in that cabin with those villains. I don't have the recording sadly so I'm not 100% but It played like a usual episode with the opening and maybe eyecatches, don't really remember credits playing after or if it aired after the Baby Saga. Then the next week the 2nd part played with credits, was there a next episode preview for the special? I bought a blank tape so I could record it so I knew it was gonna play but how I knew I don't recall unless there was one after the last Baby saga episode :think:
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Vegitasama992

Post by Vegitasama992 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 am

DBZASHKACHU wrote:Wow the International Channel! I'd always look forward to watching DBGT on Sunday's. Got to see these episodes before Funimation released them on home video too. Part of the fun was watching GT in raw Japanese I'd only seen the dub at that point so it was kind of a trip lol I remember recording the TV special for GT, it was split in half midway through where Goku and Puck are in that cabin with those villains. I don't have the recording sadly so I'm not 100% but It played like a usual episode with the opening and maybe eyecatches, don't really remember credits playing after or if it aired after the Baby Saga. Then the next week the 2nd part played with credits, was there a next episode preview for the special? I bought a blank tape so I could record it so I knew it was gonna play but how I knew I don't recall unless there was one after the last Baby saga episode :think:
Might you have any Dragon Ball Z recordings from International Channel on VHS Tapes or Digital Copy? :) I've been always looking for them but even 12 years ago it was hard to find them on the internet :P

Vegitasama992

Post by Vegitasama992 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I used to watch the end of the Cell games on one of the Spanish station and could not believe how different the animation was :lol: I didn't get FUJI TV (oddly straight from Japan) till the late 90's/early 2000's and it was too late for Dragon Ball. However, I did see some Chibi Marukochan!
What kind of difference was there in Spanish version in the animation? At that time there was Polish version of Dragon Ball Z but it was terrible. French dubbing with Polish lector which sounds "funny" For an example lector didn't say "SonGoku" but "Songo" :lol: That's why I have been looking for RAW Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z on the internet when I was kid. But like I told before it was hard to find them. Fortunately they usually had english subtitles added by fans :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Vegitasama992 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I used to watch the end of the Cell games on one of the Spanish station and could not believe how different the animation was :lol: I didn't get FUJI TV (oddly straight from Japan) till the late 90's/early 2000's and it was too late for Dragon Ball. However, I did see some Chibi Marukochan!
What kind of difference was there in Spanish version in the animation? At that time there was Polish version of Dragon Ball Z but it was terrible. French dubbing with Polish lector which sounds "funny" For an example lector didn't say "SonGoku" but "Songo" :lol: That's why I have been looking for RAW Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z on the internet when I was kid. But like I told before it was hard to find them. Fortunately they usually had english subtitles added by fans :)
Just the art style and animation change from Saiyan to Cell. It looked like a whole other show :lol:

Vegitasama992

Post by Vegitasama992 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:26 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Just the art style and animation change from Saiyan to Cell. It looked like a whole other show :lol:
I've never seen Spanish version but will have to look at that :D

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 am

Vegitasama992 wrote:Might you have any Dragon Ball Z recordings from International Channel on VHS Tapes or Digital Copy? :) I've been always looking for them but even 12 years ago it was hard to find them on the internet :P
I never knew DBZ played on the International Channel so I never recorded it. I only caught DBGT stuff on there, everyone's favorite right :wink:

Does anybody know how many years it took to air the whole run? Or the last time the series played on that channel by chance?
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Vegitasama992

Post by Vegitasama992 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Drabaz wrote:All I remember about the International Channel is that I had no idea what it was, but a lot of AMVs at the time had it's logo on the bottom right.
That's how I think of the Pearl clips. It wasn't until a Kanzenshuu podcast that I learned what Pearl was. Unlike Int'l Channel, Pearl was bad quality and had subs using words like "These chaps can manipulate their power ratings!!"
Do you mean TV Pearl? This television has broadcasted Dragon Ball Z in Japanese RAW version and I have some episodes from there. By the way which country TV Pearl comes from? I've never known that, their Dragon Ball Z broadcastings was in Japanese version with English subtitles however commercials were English speaking. It's some Australian TV? Below there's some Saiyan Saga Video from there which I've just uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jMMdOPt4mA

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Vegitasama992 wrote:Do you mean TV Pearl? This television has broadcasted Dragon Ball Z in Japanese RAW version and I have some episodes from there. By the way which country TV Pearl comes from? I've never known that, their Dragon Ball Z broadcastings was in Japanese version with English subtitles however commercials were English speaking. It's some Australian TV? Below there's some Saiyan Saga Video from there which I've just uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jMMdOPt4mA
Yes. It's a Hong Kong broadcast, thus the Chinese and English subtitles. Actually, one of Mike's old podcasts mentions both the International Channel and TV Pearl if you're interested: http://daizex.db-destiny.net/Daizenshuu ... e_0259.mp3