LIVE Interview with DALE KELLY (Narrator, Ginyu) on 1/29/16!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: LIVE Interview with DALE KELLY (Narrator, Ginyu) on 1/29

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Do you remember what interview it was?
It wasn't an interview. He explains his story at a panel in NYC back in 2008.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFWf5PUgI8
Ah, cheers. :thumbup:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Did he enjoy his time working on the show? What did he think of it at the time he was working on it?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Enjoyed all of it. Dale Kelly was the best FUNi narrator ever!

I can't believe that Chris Sabat is far from a great person!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Was a good listen alright, enjoyed his sense of humour and stories.

Great to hear he's up for doing it again, I'll be sure to keep up :).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Do you remember what interview it was?
It wasn't an interview. He explains his story at a panel in NYC back in 2008.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFWf5PUgI8
Ah, cheers. :thumbup:
Thing is though, the story still definitely pre-dates that, as I remember reading it a good six years or more prior to that, around the time I was first getting into the series. Schemmel's just likely told the story a number of times over the years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks to all who came in to watch the interview and/or submit questions! Dale had a ton of fun sharing his stories with you all and said that he's definitely going to come back on in the near future!
I think I got most of your questions answered, so if you missed the stream and want to know exactly what happened between Dale and FUNimation, an archived version of the stream is up for you to watch. An enhanced version of the stream will be up on my YouTube page pretty soon.

Again, thank you all for stopping by, and stay tuned for an interview with Stephanie Nadolny (the original FUNi voice for Gohan and Kid Goku) and yet another interview with Dale Kelly!
Last edited by TheBalishChannel on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Thanks to all who came in to watch the interview and/or submit questions! Dale had a ton of fun sharing his stories with you all and said that he's definitely going to come back on in the near future!
I think I got most of your questions answered, so if you missed the stream and want to know exactly what happened between Dale and FUNimation, an archived version of the stream is up for you to watch. An enhanced version of the stream will be up on my YouTube page pretty soon.

Again, thank you all for stopping by, and stay tuned for an interview with Stephanie Nadolny (the original FUNi voice for Gohan and Kid Goku) and yet another interview with Dale Kelly!
It was a great listen, enjoyed his stories! will tune in for the next :thumbup:

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Dale Kelly was awesome. It was very good to hear from him again.
Also another great live stream from the TheBalishChannel as well.(I have been watching your content and supporting your channel and Mariotehplumber since 2014,July.)
Can't wait till the next live stream!
Last edited by ChaosLordBrandon on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:03 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Dale Kelly was awesome. It was very good to hear from him again.
Also another great live stream from the TheBalishChannel as well.(I have been your content and supporting your channel and Mariotehplumber since 2014,July.)
Can't wait till the next live stream!
Thank you very much! Comments like these really do mean a lot to me!

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Dale Kelly was fun to listen to! i cant believe how he got screwed over the way he did though......
as far as the presentation of English adaptations of shows I'm with him! :D
hes still the best Captain Ginyu! :D
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:12 am

Interesting interview, he sounds like a great guy.

Funimation sure did have some scummy business practices back then. It's no wonder the UK and Canadian broadcasters avoided having to deal with these guys at the time and went through Ocean instead, yikes!

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:47 am

Nice to finally get an interview. Hearing Dale's experience on the show was interesting. Hopefully one day he can release the Bardock soundtrack. I've been wanting that forever now.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:11 am

Obviously some very hard opinions to listen to as someone vehemently against everything they did back then, but interesting all the same.

Certainly doesn't paint FUNi in a good light, but very few of the stories from back then do. It's mindblowing how cheap they were.

I think the most interesting tidbit is hearing that they didn't strictly have the rights to replace the music. Imagine that. A world where there was no divide over music.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Great interview and it was interesting to hear that he used Batman Beyond to sell FUNi on using rock music. Great anecdotes, regardless if you agree with him or not. It's a shame when relationships are soured especially when people become cheap. I get it, both sides want to make as much money as you can, but there are ways to go about negotiating and not be a dick. Anyway, while he might be true that the rock music appeals more to an American audience than the original, the original music isn't just something you can get rid of like an appendix. It's a part of a whole.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I listened to this yesterday, and now that I'm thinking about it: could the strain between FUNimation and Kelly be the reason that there was no "Rock the Dragon"-type release for any of the edited Toonami season 3+ material?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I listened to this yesterday, and now that I'm thinking about it: could the strain between FUNimation and Kelly be the reason that there was no "Rock the Dragon"-type release for any of the edited Toonami season 3+ material?
Doubt it, I'd say the reason there was no follow-up to Rock the Dragon is because there isn't enough of a market for the remainder of the American Toonami broadcast due to it being too similar to the orange brick dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:43 am

I can't believe I'm just finding out about this interview! It was pretty interesting to hear about the various contractual problems Funimation experienced back in the olden days. While I am greatly against the replacement scores used, I do feel bad for Mr.Kelly considering all the trouble he went through just to obtain music and Funimation just discards him with the snap of a finger. I do see where they're coming from though. Look through their perspective, I doubt they could've handled a lawsuit at the time and any chance of that happening probably scared them out of their wits.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 am

Funi were dicks then and they're still dicks today.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 07, 2016 10:04 am

Vados_chan wrote:Funi were dicks then and they're still dicks today.
How do you figure they're still dicks today?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sat May 07, 2016 9:52 pm

ABED wrote:
Vados_chan wrote:Funi were dicks then and they're still dicks today.
How do you figure they're still dicks today?
You only have to read interviews with them Sabat and Schemmel too see how arrogant and stuck up they are.