Essential / Best-Of Podcast Listening: 2016 Edition

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Essential / Best-Of Podcast Listening: 2016 Edition

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:07 pm

So apparently it's been almost three years since the last time I quasi-collected this kind of list: the "best" podcast episodes... or, for another way of thinking about it, a good collection of material that could introduce a new listener to our style and our content. After all, every episode is someone's first! In related news, there's a nine-year-old born every day!

I'd like to do a similar thing now that it's been a few years since then (and, uhh, I guess the show is ten years old!). I'm also considering editing together a "best-of" episode from the recommendations (actually stripping out the segments and creating one new file that can be pointed/linked to), rather than just having a list here on the forum.

I remember things pretty OK, but the listeners seem to have a better recollection of the things I say than even I do. It's also tough for me to make a judgement call about what's "funny" and such. Sometimes what I think were discussions that were out-of-this-world get no response, and conversations I felt were bordering on phoned-in get amazing responses. So here's where you come in!

THE WHAT
Was there a particular news story that had some good context and analysis? Was there a discussion point that really got nailed from all perspectives? Was there a group revelation that had you in stitches?

THE WHERE
Which episode was it, and which segment was it? Timecodes are even more helpful! If this ends up being a "best-of" edited episode, consider that the segment shouldn't be excessively long, and should be able to be cut out and listened to on its own with enough context to not be completely incomprehensible. Something 2-3 minutes long is great, maybe 5 at max.

THE WHY
What was it about this segment that you feel warrants it being included?

I would prefer folks kept their responses to episodes ~112 or later (which is when I made the major equipment upgrades resulting in significantly higher-quality audio), but I'm willing to dive back a little further if it's super worth it.

If you can respond here on the forum: great! If you want to use the contact form on our website to email us: that's also great! Message on Twitter or Facebook? Equally great! Looking to source lots of opinions from lots of people with lots of different experience with the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Essential / Best-Of Podcast Listening: 2016 Edition

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 am

I know you asked for something around 5 minutes but I really can't decide where to cut these! Here are two episodes I enjoyed. I'll add more tomorrow after going down the list.

(Sorry for the short reasons why I like them, I wrote out full paragraphs then accidentally x-ed out the window. I couldn't even remember what I wrote!)

Podcast Episode #0363 - In some ways, the story behind Dragon Ball Kai is a lot more interesting then Kai itself, and that's just what this episode is. It had the backstory, the rise, the fall, the scandals, the reasons for the different versions... I feel like this information would probably be forgotten overtime because it's never gonna be in any guide book, so it's really great to have this information here.

Podcast Episode #0352 - This episode looks at at every DBZ Vol. 1 release from FUNimation. I love episodes like this where you guys look back at stuff. Also, if you're a new fan I'd imagine this is very informative.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:33 am

Like Tanooki Kuribo said, I don't have the exact timing for specific moments, but here are my personal best episodes of the entire podcast run past ep. 112 excluding all "Review of Awesomeness" episodes:

2008:
- Episode 134- The biggest story or issue affecting DB fandom today.
- Episode 145- Canon and what defines it.

2009:
- Episode 160: Dragon Ball on Blu-ray plans.
- Episode 169- What it means to be a true fan of the series.
- Episode 172- Dragon Ball Evolution group talk. (This one I feel sums up the best of what the podcast is about. A group of friends talking about a single topic with each one having its own views and opinions while still having fun in what they love about and still being respectful and professional(?) in which gives validity to their opinions without sounding like whiny brats who don't know what they're talking about. Especially on a thing hated by the mass.)
- Episode 190- Ethics in fandom.
- Episode 198- FUNimation's first Dragon Box.
- Episode 200- Communities and fandoms.

2010:
- Episode 205- Battle power fans.
- Episode 206- Daisuke Gori tribute.
- Episode 207- Yamcha character discussion.
- Episode 209- Mispronunciations.
- Episode 236- Ki and Fighting Styles.
- Episode 242- The future of DragonBall Kai.

2011:
- Episode 249- Journey to the West.
- Episode 252- What Happened to Dragon Ball Kai.
- Episode 259- Old Fansub VHS.

2012:
- Episode 298- The Narrator.
- Episode 318- Complex Movie Villains.

2014:
- Episode 352- North American DBZ Vol. 1 Home Releases from 1997 to 2013. (I like the history of long runners and seeing how the show has progressed since day 1 of its existence and how far it reached and improved (or not improved).)
- Episode 363- The state of Dragon Ball Kai & Majin Buu arc.

2015:
- Episode 373- Filler in Dragon Ball How close did it get.
- Episode 385- Daily Dragon Ball interview.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:04 pm

I remember episode 190 really standing out to me back when I listened to it (has it really been 6 years?!). Any episode where you guys reflect on the old days with fan subs and chat rooms is always fun to listen to, but I think this episode was interesting, and especially now with Super airing and the films coming out months after their release in Japan (mainly BoG), the topic is still relevant.

Also, the wacky Halloween episode! But I'm not sure when that was recorded.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:48 am

Episode #52, the one year anniversary episode with Steve Simmons is notable as it was the first (as far as I know) episode to have a special guest who actually worked on the franchise officially. It was also the first major discussion off the orange bricks, a product that has had a huge impact on the western fandom for better or for worse.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:49 am

Ack, so many to remember and I have the worst memory in the world.

- Vegeta's Character feat. MistareFusion - #293 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/03/26/po ... sode-0293/

Animator Celebrations:
- Minoru Maeda - #291 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/03/06/po ... sode-0291/
- Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru - #299 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/05/21/po ... sode-0299/
- Tadayoshi Yamamuro - #305 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/07/23/po ... sode-0305/

Recent Movie Reviews:
- Battle of Gods Review - #344 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/09/30/po ... sode-0344/
- Resurrection 'F' Review - #378 http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/04/06/po ... sode-0378/

- Why is Dragon Ball Kai a mess (AGAIN!) - #363 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/06/18/po ... sode-0363/

And of course, the latest podcast episode should probably be on there. You guys did a great job of summarising the issues with Super, alongside breaking down common misconceptions used in arguments:

- Dragon Ball's Super Production Mess - #397 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/03/01/po ... sode-0397/
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:59 am

I haven't posted in a many years and coming back to see this list is a delight. I've been re-listening to the podcasts ironically for nostalgia's sake. Crazy to think I discovered Daizenshuu Ex back when podcast episode 35 debuted. Without reminiscing too much I wanted to comment that I think episode 36 is one of the MOST important podcasts during the past 10 years and almost 4 months of podcasts. I realize Vegetto EX asked us to keep this from episode 112 and later but I didn't see this episode referenced in the
Essential / Primer Podcast Lineup thread. I've reflected back on this episode many times over the past 10 years.

This episode dropped the bomb that eventually became the Orange Bricks. This is very significant, at least to me, because it's been the starting point of a series of releases from Funimation that changed everything. These box sets help Funimation gain control of the Anime Industry during the recession in the late 2000's. It also cause some disruption over in Japan, maybe even elsewhere, within the international anime industry. Shoot, friends of mine that don't/didn't like DBZ bought some of these sets. I find episode 36 paramount to Dragonball's and Kanzenshuu's history.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Squadr0n

Post by Squadr0n » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello Everyone, first time poster here!

Been listening to the podcast lately after watching Dragon Ball Super. Havent seen DBZ since it first aired on Toonami at midnight. DBZ was my entry way into a long time love of the medium and will always have a special place in my mind, even with the flaws.

I have a question regarding the Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness! I've listened to the first 3 episodes that had the GT reviews, up to episode 15 of the show, and I cant seem to find the rest. Did they stop doing the reviews? I actually just started watching GT myself and it was really nice to hear their opinions after just watching the episodes myself and comparing what I liked and what they liked or didnt like.

Also I really enjoyed their most recent episode regarding the history of GT. Thought it was a really in depth look at a show that always intrigued me.

Love the Podcast btw, I'm subscribed on iTunes and will be a long time listener!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Squadr0n wrote:Btw, do I need to reach a certain user level to be able to post my own topics? Cant seem to find the "New Topic" button on the forums
I'm not aware of any posting restrictions by user title. It should be beside the forum search bar. Unfortunately, the Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness has yet to continue.

Squadr0n

Post by Squadr0n » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:42 pm

Nejishiki wrote:I'm not aware of any posting restrictions by user title. It should be beside the forum search bar. Unfortunately, the GT Review of Awesomeness has yet to continue.
Apparently Its just in the Podcast section that I cant create a topic in.

Thats such a shame that they gave up on the review. It was a really cool listen imo and would like to see them return to it as some point. I really enjoy when Podcasts do a Retrospective look on subjects after some time has past that really gives new incite.

Has Kanzenshuu done any other Retrospectives like the most recent GT podcast on anything else from the series? I've got one in my playlist about Final Bout I need to listen too but is there anything else along those lines I should check out?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm

There's the Manga Review of Awesomeness, if that strikes your fancy. :) Of course, the link provided has other focused topics, too. The podcast is in-depth with mostly every episode though.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:28 am

I vaguely remember an episode that was entirely about "Ma" and demons in Japanese mythology, culture and animation. I really liked that episode. Everyone should listen to that one.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.