Any known female US voice actor that could voice adult Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Any known female US voice actor that could voice adult Goku?

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53 pm

This is not a "replace the actor" thread, because I really love the work of Sean Schemmel as Goku and I don't think he needs to be replaced as long as he's healthy.

I was thinking of Nozawa's role as Goku and how she was able to be his voice even through his adult years, and I thought it would be fun to speculate if there were any known English speaking voice actresses (whether they be from Funimation or another company) that would perform just as well as an adult Goku. I personally can't think of any, because I'm not extremely familiar with voice actors and I'm not sure I've heard any that I'd really enjoy in the role yet.

Still, I think this would make for a fun "what if". Any ideas?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Any known female US voice actor that could voice adult G

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Hmm...honestly, it's impossible for me to pick an adult actress who would play specifically adult Goku, because that's not even how it happened in Japanese. What happened there was a woman was cast as young Goku, and the voice carried over into his adult years. So as a result of that, I guess, I can only really try to figure out a good voice for both, starting with kid Goku and aging up to older Goku. ...I know, I'm weird. :P

So that said...hmm. The first person who jumps to mind for me is Brianne Siddall, who actually played Goku in Final Bout, for whatever that's worth. I think she would have made a great kid Goku, and her voice is just rough enough that I could see it working for him as an adult as well. There's a few roles of hers with voice clips in the link, if you're interested.

The only other one I can think of that might be able to pull it off would be Mona Marshall, but I'm having a hard time thinking of just the right voice of hers that would really...fit. I'd have an easier time hearing her as both ages of Kuririn, if anything.

I'd almost think Wendee Lee too, but while she's definitely got the talent...I dunno, just not really feeling it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 pm

It'd be hard to think of a good female Japanese voice aside from Nozawa even, because her voice is so damn unique and charming for the character.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Hmm...honestly, it's impossible for me to pick an adult actress who would play specifically adult Goku, because that's not even how it happened in Japanese. What happened there was a woman was cast as young Goku, and the voice carried over into his adult years. So as a result of that, I guess, I can only really try to figure out a good voice for both, starting with kid Goku and aging up to older Goku. ...I know, I'm weird. :P
That's more or less what I was looking for as well, but I worded my post weird. Sorry!

Siddal is probably my favorite of those you posted. This is one of the few clips I could dig up on YouTube for her, and it's not half bad (she plays the red haired boy):
https://youtu.be/F64FfRDULW0
I'm not completely sold on the idea, but I think she would be an interesting choice with a few tweaks.
Metalwario64 wrote:It'd be hard to think of a good female Japanese voice aside from Nozawa even, because her voice is so damn unique and charming for the character.
I also agree with this. Nozawa's take on the character is very unique and very difficult to replicate.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm

I still wanna hear Zoe Wanamaker give it a go. I bet she could do the right kind of accent or maybe deepen her voice a little.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 am

Jap Voice Actor?

Megumi Han would do fine. She brings the "innocent, yet kind-hearted kid" impression fairly well. Thoigh I doubt she'll match Nozawa-san's intensity when it comes to battle-cries, power-ups & overall "in-character" moments

As for US, I think Angelina Julie would do fine. Her portrayal of Tigress frm Kung Fu Panda was good. There's certain grounded & realistic approach, which vastly outclasses Po as character. So, yeah! Julie would be fine

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 am

How about...this woman here? The one who voices...Vegeta :shock: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCohZ1ODsJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXvhGwInnQ
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:56 am

Vijay wrote:Jap Voice Actor?

Megumi Han would do fine. She brings the "innocent, yet kind-hearted kid" impression fairly well. Thoigh I doubt she'll match Nozawa-san's intensity when it comes to battle-cries, power-ups & overall "in-character" moments

As for US, I think Angelina Julie would do fine. Her portrayal of Tigress frm Kung Fu Panda was good. There's certain grounded & realistic approach, which vastly outclasses Po as character. So, yeah! Julie would be fine
"Jap" is derogatory term, please use jpn.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:36 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I still wanna hear Zoe Wanamaker give it a go. I bet she could do the right kind of accent or maybe deepen her voice a little.
Interesting choice, I could maybe see it!
Fionordequester wrote:How about...this woman here? The one who voices...Vegeta :shock: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCohZ1ODsJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXvhGwInnQ
Hm. That's intriguing. O_o
Vijay wrote:Jap Voice Actor?

Megumi Han does good work, I could see it. I don't know if Jolie has ever tried doing voice work for a boy, but perhaps it would be interesting if she tried.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Is it safe to assume that no one here really wants to entertain the idea of Colleen Clinkenbeard (current Funimation dub voice for Kid Goku/Gohan, also Monkey D. Luffy in One Piece) stepping up and doing adult Goku if it came down to that?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Is it safe to assume that no one here really wants to entertain the idea of Colleen Clinkenbeard (current Funimation dub voice for Kid Goku/Gohan, also Monkey D. Luffy in One Piece) stepping up and doing adult Goku if it came down to that?
I personally don't know if I like it. I like her as Gohan, and I actually enjoy her Luffy as well, but I don't know if I can picture her as an adult Goku. I'm not even the biggest fan of her kid Goku. She's a very talented voice actress though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:59 pm

I dont think there is an actress from the USA. But there is one in Canada. Cathy Waseluck played a crossdressing heroine with a convincing male adult voice in Cybersix.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont think there is an actress from the USA. But there is one in Canada. Cathy Waseluck played a crossdressing heroine with a convincing male adult voice in Cybersix.

Cathy Weseluck is a GREAT "male actress", but there are plenty of actresses with voices either similar to Nozawa's or simply fit for the character.

Tara Strong & perhaps Grey DeLisle can do anything they want.

Tress MacNeille is also an older lady, so that is a great fit.

Katie Leigh does mostly really high voices, but she's also played Han Solo in Lego Star Wars.

Ben Diskin, Greg Cipes, & especially James Arnold Taylor (who can play any human character) are male actors who I believe would do fine jobs as both child & adult Goku.

I'd also add Dee Bradley Baker as he voiced Viewtiful Joe.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:24 am

Nancy Cartwright would be interesting to hear because I've always maintained that Nozawa's Goku is similar to Bart Simpson where he has the same voice even when they do an episode in the future when he's an adult. Also they sound sort of similar at some points.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:56 am

Deathbringer wrote:Nancy Cartwright would be interesting to hear because I've always maintained that Nozawa's Goku is similar to Bart Simpson where he has the same voice even when they do an episode in the future when he's an adult. Also they sound sort of similar at some points.
I think Cartwright would for sure do an interesting job if we had to choose, though I wouldn't want her to use vocal fry too often. The quirkiness is perfect I'd think! Who else has she played that's easy to reference for similarity? Also, if Masako Nozawa knew English (I'm pretty sure she doesn't know a lot of it) I could totally enjoy her as Goku! I already have a hard time deciding between her and Sean sometimes, though I prefer the Japanese dub entirely. I honestly like Chris and Sean so much that I feel they really are the only reason I enjoy the Funi dub these days.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

KIbawler

Post by KIbawler » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 pm

That honestly wouldn't work outside of Japan if you ask me.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:46 pm

All of the suggestions here are good. Cathy Weseluck is an interesting choice I didn't think of, same with Cartwright. I thought about Tara Strong, but I wasn't sure at first. She's extremely talented though. What about Regina King (Huey and Riley from the Boondocks)? With a few adjustments here and there maybe she could be interesting.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:07 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote: Tara Strong & perhaps Grey DeLisle can do anything they want.
While Grey DeLisle is a great actress and a sweetheart, I've never heard her do male characters before, so don't know on that.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:50 pm

I might get some flack for this but I think under the right direction Linda Young could pull it off.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:38 pm

I can't really put a finger on a US actor other than Stephanie Nadolny who voiced Kid Goku. Goku as an adult? I'm honestly not sure.