Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:12 am

precita wrote:If the forums/site didn't want anything to do with the dub, maybe dub discussion should have been banned entirely from the getgo. But obviously that wasn't the case, so the dub is discussed here regularly.
There's a big difference between discussing the dub and using the dub as a basis for discussion. If you want to do the latter, well, that's what the Dragon Ball wiki is for.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:36 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
precita wrote:If the forums/site didn't want anything to do with the dub, maybe dub discussion should have been banned entirely from the getgo. But obviously that wasn't the case, so the dub is discussed here regularly.
There's a big difference between discussing the dub and using the dub as a basis for discussion. If you want to do the latter, well, that's what the Dragon Ball wiki is for.
There's also a difference between posting a dub name of a character and claiming something happened because it was said in the dub.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:33 am

Per the original thread question:

Mostly seeing dub names has always just been plain old confusing: its much the same as I'm sure seeing Japanese version names are for dub fans, just in reverse.

These characters and mystical martial arts techniques have ALWAYS been named Son Goku, Kuririn/Kulilin, Tenshinhan, Freeza/Freezer, Muten Roshi/Kamesennin, Mr. Satan, Kaioshin, Paikuhan, Kienzan, Makankosappo, Genkidama, Shunkan Idou, etc. since as far back as I can recall with this series forever and ever ago. The Room of Spirit and Time has been a name I've known and associated closely with Dragon Ball Z since 1992/1993. Hyperbaric whateverthefuck has always been awkward, painfully forced, and has never, ever been able to even come close to sticking with me since that first cropped up in 2000-whenever.

And believe it or not, its actually become even MORE confusing for me in all the years following since the very, very early-most 2000s, long after the peak-height of the dub's initial pop cultural fervor finally died down: when I figured these sorts of awkward dub-isms would, like the dub itself, just eventually dissipate and fade away like so many other terrible artifacts and detritus of bad pop culture trends and fads long past.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: And believe it or not, its actually become even MORE confusing for me in all the years following since the very, very early-most 2000s, long after the peak-height of the dub's initial pop cultural fervor finally died down: when I figured these sorts of awkward dub-isms would, like the dub itself, just eventually dissipate and fade away like so many other terrible artifacts and detritus of bad pop culture trends and fads long past.
That's rather odd. The dub was one of CN's most watched shows and introduced millions of Americans to DBZ.

There was no way the dub, its voices, or its names would ever be forgotten about in the english speaking fandom.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:12 pm

B wrote:
precita wrote:And when you see people making posts using the dub names instead of the original, do you think lowly of them because they're likely trying to make a point based on inaccurate dub scripts than what was intended?
Kind of...? But not actively? I don't know.

Especially when the word filter was active, seeing someone intentionally go around it just seemed to scream "I'm going to intentionally be ignorant. I know it's wrong but I don't care." That's not a great attitude to have about anything. You come off as antagonistic when you do this.
I can't speak for anyone, but to me it was more of just my way of showing my opinion that the filter was kinda silly and pointless to begin with. Frieza, Freeza; tomayto, tomahto, I say.

On a regular forum where it was customary to use the sub names, I'd probably change my personal spellings to suit the discussion, but on here the filter was forced in a way that came off as obnoxious to me, so I didn't want to fly with it.

Edit: So what rereboy covered on the last page, basically. I didn't like the filter so I blew it off. Now was it the right thing to do? Probably not. But it was a bad policy to begin with.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Anyone else hate the name "Great Ape"? I get why they didn't use the name "Monkey" since "Great Monkey" won't be taken seriously. I think calling it normally "Oozaru" still have work back in 1996.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Anyone else hate the name "Great Ape"? I get why they didn't use the name "Monkey" since "Great Monkey" won't be taken seriously. I think calling it normally "Oozaru" still have work back in 1996.
I've kind of wondered about that too. The dub could have easily just treated Oozaru as an alien word, something the Saiyans themselves called it. That would have been simple enough.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:24 pm

"Great Ape" is not really a "dub term" so much as it's a loose translation of "Oozaru". "Great Ape" as a proper noun really only exists in the video games. As far as the dub of the actual show is concerned, "oozaru" doesn't exist. The characters alternate between using "giant monkey" and "monster"... And, if memory serves correctly, sometimes "beast" depending on the script, but these are never treated as proper titles or transformations. It's usually just a statement; "When Goku looks up at the full moon, he becomes a monster!" Nobody talks about it like it's Super Saiyan.

There's nothing wrong with "Great Ape." It's twice as good as "World Martial Arts Tournament" and a billion times more palatable than "Instant Transmission", "Tri-Beam", or "Hyperbolic Time Chamber." And again, I'm 99% sure "Great Ape" is never used in dub-dialog ever anyway.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't get bothered seeing dub names, only when I don't know who they're talking about but you can just look at the wikia if you don't know certain character's names.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:44 pm

B wrote: There's nothing wrong with "Great Ape." It's twice as good as "World Martial Arts Tournament" and a billion times more palatable than "Instant Transmission", "Tri-Beam", or "Hyperbolic Time Chamber." And again, I'm 99% sure "Great Ape" is never used in dub-dialog ever anyway.
I recall in both Ultimate Uncut and Kai that Vegeta said "I will turn into a Great Ape and crush him!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Great Ape" is not really a "dub term" so much as it's a loose translation of "Oozaru". "Great Ape" as a proper noun really only exists in the video games. As far as the dub of the actual show is concerned, "oozaru" doesn't exist. The characters alternate between using "giant monkey" and "monster"... And, if memory serves correctly, sometimes "beast" depending on the script, but these are never treated as proper titles or transformations. It's usually just a statement; "When Goku looks up at the full moon, he becomes a monster!" Nobody talks about it like it's Super Saiyan.
You sure about that? Is Oozaru lower case or always upper case.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Not at all since I'd be a hypocrite to do so. I'm still in the process of assimilating into the original version by using the original names but I still have quite a bit of work to do since I still use "Bulma", "Spirit Bomb", "Saiyan" and the FUNi dub Shadow Dragon names rather frequently among a few other misspellings like "Buu" and "Ox King".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Not at all since I'd be a hypocrite to do so. I'm still in the process of assimilating into the original version by using the original names but I still have quite a bit of work to do since I still use "Bulma", "Spirit Bomb", "Saiyan" and the FUNi dub Shadow Dragon names rather frequently among a few other misspellings like "Buu" and "Ox King".
From what I can tell Bulma isn't wrong but the way they pronounce it is. Buu is completely fine however.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:34 am

I'm surprised the whole "Android 17 and 18" names stuck to this very day, even into Kai. They never call them artificial humans in the dub, ever.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:47 am

precita wrote:I'm surprised the whole "Android 17 and 18" names stuck to this very day, even into Kai. They never call them artificial humans in the dub, ever.
I don't like the term "Artificial Human" at all so I just refer to them as #17 & #18 respectively. To add onto my previous post, I still call the Ginyu Tokusentai by their FUNi dub names for some reason.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:08 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Not at all since I'd be a hypocrite to do so. I'm still in the process of assimilating into the original version by using the original names but I still have quite a bit of work to do since I still use "Bulma", "Spirit Bomb", "Saiyan" and the FUNi dub Shadow Dragon names rather frequently among a few other misspellings like "Buu" and "Ox King".
Only Bulma is left for me. I don't think i'll ever call her Blooma, but i want to be kanzentai fan, sooo...

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 am

Bulma's not at all a dub name: Toriyama himself spelled it that way back at the very beginning of the whole series via writing it out that way in English on her shirt.

Saiyan as a spelling isn't a FUNimation creation, but the pronunciation (Say-an rather than S-eye-an) certainly is. Spirit Bomb's definitely dub-ism, as is whatever the crap they named the evil dragons from GT: those're all completely pulled from their ass. Buu on the other hand is a perfectly usable spelling that long well predates them. Ox King is like... a partial, half a translation of Gyuumao (where they conspicuously leave out the "demon" aspect of his title).
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Bulma's not at all a dub name: Toriyama himself spelled it that way back at the very beginning of the whole series via writing it out that way in English on her shirt.

Saiyan as a spelling isn't a FUNimation creation, but the pronunciation (Say-an rather than S-eye-an) certainly is. Spirit Bomb's definitely dub-ism, as is whatever the crap they named the evil dragons from GT: those're all completely pulled from their ass. Buu on the other hand is a perfectly usable spelling that long well predates them. Ox King is like... a partial, half a translation of Gyuumao (where they conspicuously leave out the "demon" aspect of his title).
Ah, I see. I just see "Saiyan" and I associate it with the wrong pronunciation so I tried to stick with Saiya-jin. One thing I don't get is why there isn't a hyphen separating "Ma" and "Jin" in "Majin" like I see in "Saiya-jin". To call my familiarity with the Japanese language elementary would be an insult to elementary school children but shouldn't the hyphen be there?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:One thing I don't get is why there isn't a hyphen separating "Ma" and "Jin" in "Majin" like I see in "Saiya-jin". To call my familiarity with the Japanese language elementary would be an insult to elementary school children but shouldn't the hyphen be there?
Plenty of people over time have written it as "Saiyajin" without the hyphen, and on the other hand, plenty of people have also written it as "Ma-jin" over time with the hyphen.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:29 pm

What about Dabura? I always liked the way that was pronounced in english.