Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Korppi wrote:Maybe. I mean, some dub names like Hercule, Master Shen, Hero, Fasha and Pikkon are unnecessary, I'd say.
Given that she's only referred to by name in the credits, it's not too surprising they changed it.
Were any of the other teammates besides Tora even referred to by name in the original? Given the quality of the scripts they had, it wouldn't surprise me if they simply didn't know their original names, and simply came up with names on the spot.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
Korppi wrote:Maybe. I mean, some dub names like Hercule, Master Shen, Hero, Fasha and Pikkon are unnecessary, I'd say.
Given that she's only referred to by name in the credits, it's not too surprising they changed it.
Were any of the other teammates besides Tora even referred to by name in the original? Given the quality of the scripts they had, it wouldn't surprise me if they simply didn't know their original names, and simply came up with names on the spot.
And somehow "Seripa", "Panbukin" and "Toteppo" are better names than "Fasha", "Shugesh" and "Borgos", respectively.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:57 am

Not at all, though for some attack names, I prefer the original like Chou Makouhou over Super Mouth Blast(even though that attack name sounds nostalgic as hell)

Geez, so now if I say a dub name here, I'll get verbally lynched huh? I'm being serious, I'm asking this because of the responses I've seen in the thread. I've gotten so used to most of the dub names that it's hard to say the original names, so if yall wanna punish me for using dub names, go right ahead. Sometimes I honestly thought that this community is the "eastern" version of the youtube comment section and DBZF.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 am

EXBadguy wrote:Not at all, though for some attack names, I prefer the original like Chou Makouhou over Super Mouth Blast(even though that attack name sounds nostalgic as hell)

Geez, so now if I say a dub name here, I'll get verbally lynched huh? I'm being serious, I'm asking this because of the responses I've seen in the thread. I've gotten so used to most of the dub names that it's hard to say the original names, so if yall wanna punish me for using dub names, go right ahead. Sometimes I honestly thought that this community is the "eastern" version of the youtube comment section and DBZF.
If this was anything like youtube, everyone would be banned by now. You won't get attacked because I've seen many people use dub names since the word filter was removed and nobody has responded harshly.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:31 am

EXBadguy wrote:Not at all, though for some attack names, I prefer the original like Chou Makouhou over Super Mouth Blast(even though that attack name sounds nostalgic as hell)

Nice to see you're making an effort.
EXBadguy wrote: The Freezasaga has been overpraised for its own good, honestly. As I ask to the people who claim that Toriyama intended to end the series at Frieza, WHERE! IS. THE PROOF?!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:48 am

I don't really care what names or terms people use, as long as I can figure out who they're talking about. I try to use a lot of "neutral" terminology here myself in certain cases.
dario03 wrote:I just watched the newest episode of Gotham and remembered something. Maybe the people that decided to call Freeza "Frieza" were big fans of Mr. Freeze aka Victor Fries which is pronounced freeze either way in BTAS. Batman TAS was big in the early-mid 90's and Freeze's first episode won a Emmy. No clue why, just a random thought.
I've always wondered the same thing. But I found it funny that Gotham said the name was pronounced like "french fries" (assuming that wasn't a lie to hide something).
EXBadguy wrote:Geez, so now if I say a dub name here, I'll get verbally lynched huh? I'm being serious, I'm asking this because of the responses I've seen in the thread. I've gotten so used to most of the dub names that it's hard to say the original names, so if yall wanna punish me for using dub names, go right ahead. Sometimes I honestly thought that this community is the "eastern" version of the youtube comment section and DBZF.
Except there are a lot of dub names that have never been filtered in the first place. "Krillin," "Shenron," "King Kai," "Master Roshi," "Jeice," etc. Plus most attack and item names, and places like "Hyperbolic Time Chamber." Of course some terms like "Guru" or "Hero" were probably only allowed because they were too generic to try to filter, but it doesn't change the fact that people were free to use them.
-Rachel

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Do "Krillin" and "Shenron" even qualify as dub names? Sure, maybe they aren't the best choice in terms of romanization, but it's not exactly like FUNimation pulled those names completely out of their ass. They're still technically valid. I think of a "dub name" as something completely out of left field, like "Fasha", "Hercule", the aforementioned "Hero", etc.

Plus Kanzentai used "Krillin", if I remember correctly.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Do "Krillin" and "Shenron" even qualify as dub names? Sure, maybe they aren't the best choice in terms of romanization, but it's not exactly like FUNimation pulled those names completely out of their ass. They're still technically valid. I think of a "dub name" as something completely out of left field, like "Fasha", "Hercule", the aforementioned "Hero", etc.

Plus Kanzentai used "Krillin", if I remember correctly.
I actually kind of like Krillin. I'm trying to spell his name as Kuririn consistently, but I'll admit that I still say Krillin from time to time. Kuririn uses a pun that, as has been pointed out, is pretty much lost on an English audience. Of course you could say the same about many of the other names that I and many others adhere to, but the interesting thing about Krillin is how oddly well it fits. The "lin" part of the pun remains, but the "Kril" part adds one that actually makes sense in English. It's a different pun than the one intended, and maybe that's hypocritical of me, but I think it's kind of cool. Oddly enough that pun can even be passed down to Marron, since you could just say it's based on the crustacean that is spelled the same way that her name is spelled in English: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marron
Although I'll admit I don't know if the two are pronouned the same.

I think I may stick with Kuririn for the most part, but Krillin is perfectly fine by me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 pm

I think Dragonball is the only anime franchise I ever followed where the official names have multiple spellings in the same language...no less.

MissingUTAH

Post by MissingUTAH » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:13 pm

I only get bothered if the dub name ruins the pun or just mistranslates it. For example, I'm alright with Frieza and Cooler (as opposed to Freeza and Coola), but not with Special Beam Cannon. I don't know what Makankosappo means in English, but I'm pretty sure it has "Demon" in it, so Special Beam Cannon isn't even close.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Special Beam Cannon was probably pick to make the attack sound less violent instead calling it "Demon Piercing Light Kill Cannon”. That was in 1996 when most anime was dub to appeal to the western market. At least the dub for Kai kept the names faithful to the Japanese names.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/