Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For me, that would kinda be like referring to "Goku" as "Kakarrot" all the time:
  • Honestly, that just seems kinda silly
  • Unlike "Kakarrot", the names of "Mark" and "Lapiz/Lazuli" are not pieces of widespread information that everyone knows, and cannot be learned simply by reading/watching the series; you're more likely to confuse someone by using those names (which is a separate issue from calling "Tenshinhan" as "Tien"; don't confuse the issue, and don't try to draw a parallel there)
Also, his name is not "Mark Satan". As you've noted, "Mr. Satan" is just his stage name. His name is simply "Mark". As Videl notes in the series, it's strange for people to have surnames (which she remarks due to "Son Gohan" having such a name). Much like "Dr. Brief" is likely just a guy named "Brief" that happens to be a doctor and his children don't have "Brief" as a surname, "Mark" is simply "Mark".
Absolutely! Yeah, I wasn't trying to draw a parallel, that's why I started by saying that I was going a bit off topic but related. Thank you so much for clearing that up though, you're right, I think drawing the "Kakarrot" argument is a perfect way to explain the way that might be interpreted.
Oh hahaha, also you've brought me to another question now though, haven't we heard Brief used as a surname before? Not just in translation where it was wrong or that live action movie, but isn't Buruma's mother referred to by Brief as well? Or is that only in translation? I'm having a hard time recalling.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Nope. Blooma's mom is only ever credited or referred to as "Buruma no haha" or "Blooma's mom."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Ss5Troten wrote:Yeah, I wasn't trying to draw a parallel, that's why I started by saying that I was going a bit off topic but related.
I meant that for other people, not specifically for you :).
Ss5Troten wrote:Oh hahaha, also you've brought me to another question now though, haven't we heard Brief used as a surname before? Not just in translation where it was wrong or that live action movie, but isn't Buruma's mother referred to by Brief as well? Or is that only in translation? I'm having a hard time recalling.
Nope, only in FUNimation's English dub (and maybe other dubs?). Bulma's mother is simply called "Bulma's Mother" in all official Japanese material, with the one-off comment from Toriyama that if he had given her a name, he might have gone with "Panchy" or "Panties" or something (blanking on the source here). Things like "Bulma Briefs" are exclusive to the dub (not sure if they use "Mrs. Briefs" there, too).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you to both of you for clearing that up :) I really lose some of the smaller details like that sometimes with all this cross translating and whatnot.

@VegettoEX okay awesome aha, I just don't want to offend anybody by derailing or being off-topic in anyway.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm honestly fine with both the Dub and the original names, as most of them are not too far off but there are some that's way out there. Like Hercule, though I don't mind if someone uses it, I just automatically think of Hercules and Hades. If someone is new to Dragon Ball and only watched the Dub version, why hate them or act as if they know nothing? It's not their fault. Actually, even if they are vets who have never seen the original version, I'm still fine with it. It all comes down to what you prefer. I use both depending on which one is the fastest to type out.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:09 pm

precita wrote:And when you see people making posts using the dub names instead of the original, do you think lowly of them because they're likely trying to make a point based on inaccurate dub scripts than what was intended?
Kind of...? But not actively? I don't know.

Especially when the word filter was active, seeing someone intentionally go around it just seemed to scream "I'm going to intentionally be ignorant. I know it's wrong but I don't care." That's not a great attitude to have about anything. You come off as antagonistic when you do this.

It always feels like dub fans think they're the center of the universe, and that the mission in life of someone who prefers the original version to tell them they're wrong. But, as is the case with this very topic, it is dub fans themselves who want to have these conversations. It feels very masochistic. "Hey guys, remind me how much you hate me!" I'm generalizing and exaggerating there, but also kind of not exaggerating at all. I mean, just the way the sentence I quoted above is worded irks me. You sound like you already have an idea, and are looking for a very specific answer. I can't pretend there isn't a divide between fans, but it's the people who feel persecuted that really seem to want to open the wounds up and dig in there.

And, if we can take this to its most ridiculous level, it is also kind of silly that fans obsessed with power levels also tend to hugely crossover with dub fans. But then, when clarification on a line about power or how hard of a time a character had fighting another character is needed that the dub doesn't provide, the first place to run to is Herms's Strength Checker or a panel from the manga. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too. "I only care about accuracy at these certain intervals; any other time, Hyperbolic Time Chamber me up, baby!"

I don't know. Shit is crazy. I feel like we are extremely lucky that any given future English dubs of Dragon Ball are going to be faithfully adapted, because the truth is, a fan of the original Z dub doesn't care. If Kai or Battle of Gods had turned out awful, they'd have tuned in regardless.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Not really, except when I read or hear Hurcule or Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:06 pm

B wrote:
precita wrote:And when you see people making posts using the dub names instead of the original, do you think lowly of them because they're likely trying to make a point based on inaccurate dub scripts than what was intended?
Kind of...? But not actively? I don't know.

Especially when the word filter was active, seeing someone intentionally go around it just seemed to scream "I'm going to intentionally be ignorant. I know it's wrong but I don't care." That's not a great attitude to have about anything. You come off as antagonistic when you do this.

It always feels like dub fans think they're the center of the universe, and that the mission in life of someone who prefers the original version to tell them they're wrong. But, as is the case with this very topic, it is dub fans themselves who want to have these conversations. It feels very masochistic. "Hey guys, remind me how much you hate me!" I'm generalizing and exaggerating there, but also kind of not exaggerating at all. I mean, just the way the sentence I quoted above is worded irks me. You sound like you already have an idea, and are looking for a very specific answer. I can't pretend there isn't a divide between fans, but it's the people who feel persecuted that really seem to want to open the wounds up and dig in there.
I see your point, but believing that wanting to use names like Tien somehow makes me ignorant is just adding fuel to the fire. Dub fans complain about getting 'picked on' too much, but the sub fans aren't help the cause at all and are only making the divide worse. When in actuality it should be getting thinner with Kai and the movies (and eventually Super) but I know that wont be the case as long as there's people who get bent out of shape for hearing 'Say-in' VS 'Sigh-in. That goes both ways too.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:02 pm

I'd be lying if I said dub names like Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk and Hercule didn't annoy me. But dub names likes Hyperbolic Time Chamber, I actually don't mind.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'd be lying if I said dub names like Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk and Hercule didn't annoy me. But dub names likes Hyperbolic Time Chamber, I actually don't mind.
Yeah, those are the ones that I think are a little too silly, but I don't mind people using them. Some Funimation got as close as possible and others they went too far out there in my opinion. Herucle is definitely the one i dislike the most.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: You're not wrong, but at the same time, people are gonna be used to what they're used to. Sometimes even if they know and admit it's wrong. And that's okay - sometimes it'll lead to weird hang ups, but if a name is in official use in even a version of something, and that's the version a person is most used to, then there should be absolutely no shame in them using said names.
At the same time, it's rather telling that there's only one single group on the forum that insist on using whatever dub names they're used to, courtesy towards people unfamiliar with their dub be damned. Isn't that elitism?

When did you ever see anyone refer to Chichi as "Milk" here, or write Goku's full name as Sangoku?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I pretty much know all the original names (except the Shadow Dragons, those guys always throw me for a loop)
Oh you're definitely not alone there. I can't for the life of me remember the original names for the Dragons, outside of I want to say Syn is 'Li', and I'm pretty sure Nuova is 'Suu'. The former I'm not sure why I recall, but I only remember the latter because of the four star Ball being 'suushinchu' or something along those lines...I think. Watch me be wrong on both of these, actually.
B wrote:And, if we can take this to its most ridiculous level, it is also kind of silly that fans obsessed with power levels also tend to hugely crossover with dub fans.
Hmm...I dunno about that. I mean, there's definitely some crossover, but I don't know if it's always the dub fans that are completely obsessed with power levels or at least just have a 'the fighting comes first!' mindset. There's certainly been a handful of people here on this very forum that have showed more than an overboard concern for these things, and without naming names, I don't really think they were dub fans per say. I could be wrong though.
Adamant wrote:At the same time, it's rather telling that there's only one single group on the forum that insist on using whatever dub names they're used to, courtesy towards people unfamiliar with their dub be damned. Isn't that elitism?

When did you ever see anyone refer to Chichi as "Milk" here, or write Goku's full name as Sangoku?
It can be elitism, yes. I'm not saying dub fan's can't be pretty awful sometimes too, and extremely excluding towards original Japanese version fans, but...too completely assume they're any less of a fan just because they're used to the names they're used to? Or to throw out statements like it's more 'adult' to use the original names, or to say they 'shouldn't' use those names just because they're not the original ones? That's definitely sounding a little elitist, even if it wasn't meant that way.

I mean, if we're going to take it that far, then I certainly hope anyone that finds changed names to be an issue of that magnitude takes the time to change the name of every Pokemon they catch back to the original Japanese name of said Pokemon, if they play Pokemon.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Pokemon is one of those situations with many video game based things where many people don't care about the Japanese names. Kinda similar thing is my friend who cosplays Akuma, folks don't call him Gouki. Same thing happens when I cosplay Balrog.

On topic, mainly use many of the dub names of Z era as was what I learned first, while many of DB I use the Japanese non-changed names as the manga got to that before Funimation. Hence I use Tao Pie Pie rather than Mercenary Tao.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I mean, if we're going to take it that far, then I certainly hope anyone that finds changed names to be an issue of that magnitude takes the time to change the name of every Pokemon they catch back to the original Japanese name of said Pokemon, if they play Pokemon.
It's apples and oranges. The problem isn't localization, it's the sort of incompetent, nonsensical localization Funi did back in the old days. The point behind the English names of Pokemon is that (generally speaking) they take the Japanese puns and cultural references and replace them with roughly equivalent puns and references that an English-speaking audience will be familiar with. This manifestly is not the approach Funi took with DB. If they had, they would have called Kaio the "Lord of Worlds" ala Viz, or something along those lines, rather than "King Kai", which in no way conveys the meaning behind the original name. If they had been paying any sort of attention, they certainly wouldn't have changed Kaio to "King Kai" but then left the attack named after the character as "Kaio-ken". There's no consistency or logic there, and it shouldn't be brought up in the same breath as any halfway competent localization.

Beyond that, Funi dub names are inherently linked with the other negative aspects of the Funi dub, besides just poor name localization. I would probably view the name "King Kai" more favorably if Funi had cast the role well, so that regardless of the funky name the version of the character in their dub was an accurate presentation of the original character, or at least a good performance in its own right. Instead King Kai gets what is for my money just about the worst voice in the entire Funi dub, one which still hasn't improved in any significant way over the years and was my only major issue with their otherwise solid BoG dub. So all translation issues aside, seeing "King Kai" always brings to mind That Voice, and while it's not actually "triggering", it's definitely not pleasant.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:16 am

The weird thing is I think Schemmel's King Kai voice has actually gotten worse over the years. I actually prefer the way he sounds in the Season 3 dub over how he sounds now. Now he sounds like his voice is always garbled or bubbly.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:51 am

Don't want to go too off topic, but I wish Mako Iwamatsu (may he rest in peace) could have been English Kaio. I think he would have been perfect.

The only dub name that kind of weirds me out still is Hercule. Everything else, for the most part, is fine. Even Hercule doesn't bother me too much though. Then again, I'm pretty used to a lot of the names myself and I still use some of them out of sheer habit.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:29 am

Wezenheim wrote:
The only dub name that kind of weirds me out still is Hercule. Everything else, for the most part, is fine. Even Hercule doesn't bother me too much though. Then again, I'm pretty used to a lot of the names myself and I still use some of them out of sheer habit.
I just call him Mark since Toriyama revealed his real name. Que The Room references: "Oh, hi Mark!"
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:29 am

B wrote: Especially when the word filter was active, seeing someone intentionally go around it just seemed to scream "I'm going to intentionally be ignorant. I know it's wrong but I don't care".
That always baffled me, because unless you really have a huge disdain for the original names, there was no point. For anyone who did this I'd like to know why.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:55 am

If people want to keep saying the wrong names and pronunciations , at least don't try to make up reasons like "it sounds better" or "its more natural". Just go with the actual reason: you grew up with them and are more used to them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:24 am

You know its surprising how many names are actually pretty close or identical to the Japanese version to begin with. FUNI/Saban could have went crazy back in 1996/1997 and changed names drastically to Americanize them.

Tien is the only main characters name that was really shortened and added an "i," most of the rest of the main cast names are nearly identical to the original besides some small spelling differences. I mean just look at the attack names, they changed those names far more than the characters.