If only Goku was there

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

If only Goku was there

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:26 am

Ok, so, back when I was a child, I had a saying everytime something unfair, violent or sad happened on any tv show or movie or whatever.

It was "If only Goku was there".

For example, when you watch "X" anime when something incredibly unfair happened on screen, have you ever thought "If only Goku was there he could help them fix this".

The fantasy level of this is overflowing, but perhaps it would make for a good exchange of thoughts.

For example, in Boku Dake ga inai machi (or Erased)
Please share any of your "If only Goku was there" thoughts, you can replace Goku with any character from DBZ. And if you want, use real life events.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: If only Goku was there

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:14 am

Goku only helps people by accident. I would choose someone else to be your hero fantasy

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:17 am

When i want to fly so bad to get to a location.. If only Goku was there to carry me flying

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:01 am

This topic hits right in my childhood! If only Goku was there....

Me saying this may sound corny, but its true. Whenever global mass murder/terror-fication takes place, like the Afghan/Iraq war declared by Bush, recent Israel-Palestine geneocide, ISIS issues etc, I really wish Goku freakin blasts a Kamehameha from the sky (like when he threatened Cell) & lets loose upon all those MFkers. Some dumb bastards only learn their mistakes by suffering pain. Da same pain which they inflicted on others

When I was a kid, I wish Goku was there to defend me from my enemies/haters

AS_Saiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AS_Saiyan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:20 am

Everytime I watch a reality show, I think to myself, what if goku, or other DB characters were there? :lol:
What if Goku and Vegeta would be a couple in The Amazing Race? what if Goku would have been in the Big Brother?
Those wierd thoughts always come to my head. 8)
New User :) A Dragonball fan for over 10 years. My favorite character(s) are Kuririn and Goku.
And yeah, I need to find better signature.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:07 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Goku only helps people by accident. I would choose someone else to be your hero fantasy
I am sure it was an accident when he sacrificed himself in the Cell games.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:13 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Goku only helps people by accident. I would choose someone else to be your hero fantasy
Goku may fight for selfish reasons but he is pure hearted like aside from his selfishness, he ain't a bad guy.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Cetra wrote:
I am sure it was an accident when he sacrificed himself in the Cell games.
I'm sure it was an accident when he decided to stay dead. Not like he could train there or something.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 pm

As a resource, I think Gokû's kind of in a similar level to a cat; he's cute and can do all sorts of cool physical feats, but you can't make him do them and he's not going to just do them for you out of kindness or something. He only gardened for Chi-Chi because he was afraid of her imo. I wouldn't want to have to scare him into getting him to help out.

Now Gohan, Piccolo, or Kuririn; they would genuinely help out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Yeah, it's annoying that as of a few years ago, some people seem to be increasingly understating his "heroism" to the point of exaggeration that is pretty much the opposite of how much FUNimation played it up. I've seen people say that if Gohan and Chichi died that Goku might care, but would get over it really fast because all he cares about is himself and fighting. It's getting pretty ridiculous lately, and I don't know where it comes from.

I mean, he clearly cares enough for his son to sacrifice his life to save him, but I guess someone might try to "retort" that by saying that he "knew" that when he died he'd be able to fight powerful warriors in the afterlife, so he basically committed suicide... but he didn't know that until after he was dead... He also immediately wanted to seek out vengeance for Kulilin and the Turtle Hermit when he was a kid, because they were his close friends, and the closest thing he had to a family growing up. That was pretty much his entire motivation in the Daimao arc. He was also pretty pissed off when Vegeta killed all of those people in the Tournament, and while he definitely wouldn't go around actively trying to protect people, he still wouldn't like it if he witnessed someone he didn't know being murdered right before his eyes.

Of course, he ISN'T a superhero that FUNimation and sometimes Toei portrayed him as, but he definitely cares for his friends enough to be willing to risk his life to protect them if he has to. He does do very reckless and dangerous things like giving the still evil Piccolo a senzu, letting Vegeta escape their battle, and not destroying Gero and the Cyborgs before they're a threat, but to his "credit", pretty much everyone else in that scene wants to do the same thing.

He has a selfish side, but he's not malicious and doesn't go around causing problems and when his friends and family are in trouble goes "You're on your own, now when's mah next fight and that damned muffin button?!"
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:25 am

For me it's always been "if only the Doctor was there"
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Vijay wrote:recent Israel-Palestine geneocide,
Hold it!

As an Israeli who lived in East Jerusalem throughout his college years and served in the IDF for a few good years prior that, I'd like you to explain what "genocide" are you referring to? I know this forum is apolitical but this line really got my attention, and I want to be clear for those who never explored this issue: In 1948 there were 600% LESS population of people who in 1964 decided that from then on they'll be called: "palestinians" (prior that they had other names such as simply "arabs" or "southern syrians" for those of them who following the collapse of the ottoman empire wished to be part of "greater syria" - FTR during the ottoman era of 600 years there were 4 different sanjaks that existed in the Land of Israel: Acre, Jerusalem, Gaza & Nablus [Shechem]; it was like different states in the U.S. that all held by it's own governor who gives answers to the wilayah of damascus/syria who was commissioned over them by the order of the ottoman sultan who sat in top of the pyramid in what is modern day turkey) THAN THERE ARE NOW, so how can there be a "genocide" (decrease in population by vile means) committed by Israel against/towards them?

In case you meant the "no peace" situation I recommend on reading the history of the peace process and how many times arabic "state of palestine" could have been established before turning down MUCH GENEROUS Israeli offers than the Israelis could allow themselves of ever withstanding & American offers while coming to the final phase of the peace talks.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:and when his friends and family are in trouble goes "You're on your own, now when's mah next fight and that damned muffin button?!"
Well, I mean other than the "not actually gonna tell anyone that's Demon King Piccolo's son here at the tournament" and the "no, let the androids come" and the current "we're all going to be erased" stuff...

But yes, obviously Goku is not a total exaggeration on either side of the issue, but neither is he perfectly down the middle.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:For me it's always been "if only the Doctor was there"
When the stone angels where there, I wondered what would if Goku just pwned them.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

If only Goku was there to stop Goku and Vegeta from reviving an ancient, unstoppable demon that would destroy the whole world just to settle their pointless rivalry... oh wait

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:When the stone angels where there, I wondered what would if Goku just pwned them.
OK, I'm not one for inter-series versus discussions in the least, but I'm down for watching Goku vs. the Weeping Angels play out.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:For me it's always been "if only the Doctor was there"
When the stone angels where there, I wondered what would if Goku just pwned them.
Weeping Angels can't actually be killed while in stone form, since it's not their real body (break it and as soon as you look away they're back together again). Although I suppose firing a ki blast while not looking at them might work...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 pm

I think this a lot, but sometimes when I'm watching a DB show I think "If only Harry Potter was there." This is because I was just finishing up a re read of Harry Potter when I started watching DB.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu