Help Guide for DBZ Funimation Singles DVDs (links + screens)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Re: Help Guide for DBZ Funimation Singles DVDs (links + screens)

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 am

uzuni wrote:
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:
uzuni wrote:Is there any release that contains recaps with Dale Kelly’s narration for episodes 68-74?
There's no release that has it complete, not even sure an uncut version of 68-70/71 recap exists with Dale Kelly as the edited episodes ends and starts in different areas earlier than uncut. So the Madman single is the most there is for it sadly.
Would you know where this video came from then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNX4tOeREo
That ones on both the Madman DVD and VHS volume, but no idea about American VHS. The American DVD doesn't have any recaps for both Ginyu volumes (for some reason).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm

I can confirm that the VHS has the recap of the first episode on the tape. Also, the recap for Ep 71 is the first of the original dub to properly sync with the uncut footage.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I can confirm that the VHS has the recap of the first episode on the tape. Also, the recap for Ep 71 is the first of the original dub to properly sync with the uncut footage.
Does that mean 68-70 don't sync?

I thought that after 68 (which is 30 min long), the rest of the series syncs perfectly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 pm

I think they do sync, but the DVD doesn't allow you to switch language tracks back and forth.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:57 pm

68-70 only sync if you mute the recaps (or just play the Faulconer recap theme with nothing else) and do some editing on where the ep 68 eyecatch would be.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Danfun64 wrote:68-70 only sync if you mute the recaps (or just play the Faulconer recap theme with nothing else) and do some editing on where the ep 68 eyecatch would be.
Well, there are no recaps on my DVD, but I’ve seen that it syncs at the point where Goku appears behind Burter.

Also, I’ve noticed that they didn’t include the eyecatchers until the Trunks arc for some reason.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

uzuni wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:68-70 only sync if you mute the recaps (or just play the Faulconer recap theme with nothing else) and do some editing on where the ep 68 eyecatch would be.
Well, there are no recaps on my DVD, but I’ve seen that it syncs at the point where Goku appears behind Burter.

Also, I’ve noticed that they didn’t include the eyecatchers until the Trunks arc for some reason.
Well at least the re-issues of the Trunks DVDs do. The original releases don’t have eyecatches.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 am

I've always wanted to own the best release of the "Ocean Dub" and while I kinda do (Rock the Dragon) the definitive one is Madman's DVD set. Here's why:
SylentEcho wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 pm The Ocean Dub Madman releases were the best! I have those because they had the title screen, recaps and previews before and after each episode which the Pioneer releases never had. Also, they had the rare, "Stand By For Dragon Ball Z" intro.
I now wish Manga UK would license the Madman Ocean Dub DVDs so they'd be cheaper (just a repackaged version) to buy because shipping from Australia and the DVDs themselves probably aren't cheap to get. Heck, they did it with Dragon Ball they licensed the R4 Saga Sets and sold them as "Seasons".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 am I've always wanted to own the best release of the "Ocean Dub" and while I kinda do (Rock the Dragon) the definitive one is Madman's DVD set. Here's why:
SylentEcho wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 pm The Ocean Dub Madman releases were the best! I have those because they had the title screen, recaps and previews before and after each episode which the Pioneer releases never had. Also, they had the rare, "Stand By For Dragon Ball Z" intro.
I now wish Manga UK would license the Madman Ocean Dub DVDs so they'd be cheaper (just a repackaged version) to buy because shipping from Australia and the DVDs themselves probably aren't cheap to get. Heck, they did it with Dragon Ball they licensed the R4 Saga Sets and sold them as "Seasons".
There's that, but also the Madman DVDs were better quality overall than the Rock The Dragon set; RTD suffered from blurring, a high black level, low contrast, and because they tried to cut out the fades in/out to/from black at the ad breaks, the parts where it's supposed to go to an ad-break somewhat awkwardly cross-fade. IIRC there's also one or two small bits in episodes that were cut?
If you watch the scene where they're talking on the island when Gohan plays rock-paper-scissors on RTD and Madman side-by-side, you'll notice RTD suddenly jumps ahead slightly at one point.

Of course, RTD has the benefit of using the uncensored versions of episodes 1 and 2, and it's the only release of the Saban version of Tree Of Might, and the TV cuts of the first two Pioneer movies.
Though honestly, in an ideal situation, I'd rather own a boxset that just used the uncut Pioneer versions of all three movies. The TV cuts are a fun curiosity, and the Saban Tree Of Might special is nice to have, but I'd rather just have it all uncut; the Pioneer dubs were excellent uncut dubs, my favourite way of watching those movies (though Tree Of Might is a tie with Big Green; that mess is just perfect), and cutting those down just takes away from the magnificence of the work.
Plus, Tree Of Might is presented as a marathon feature on RTD, not the original 3-episode version, so arguably even that's done slightly wrong.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:53 am

You know that you can just snag these on eBay in bundles (Saga sets with or without the boxes) for decent prices. That's how I did it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:53 am You know that you can just snag these on eBay in bundles (Saga sets with or without the boxes) for decent prices. That's how I did it.
"Decent" not sure you you define that but okay.

An auction just for the Saiyan Conflict boxset went over AU$100 and then another AU$70, it would have cost me $130 if I wanted to purchase. Sure, the base price is decent but the shipping kinda kills the deal. Now, add the Names Saga boxset and it would be around $250 ~ $300.

Then, if I wanted to collect all single volumes till the final one (5.17) I'm guessing it'd cost even more than for how much I bought the FUNi Dragon Boxes Z ($400ish).

This isn't decent but I suppose you confused it with the R1 version.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 am
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:53 am You know that you can just snag these on eBay in bundles (Saga sets with or without the boxes) for decent prices. That's how I did it.
"Decent" not sure you you define that but okay.

An auction just for the Saiyan Conflict boxset went over AU$100 and then another AU$70, it would have cost me $130 if I wanted to purchase. Sure, the base price is decent but the shipping kinda kills the deal. Now, add the Names Saga boxset and it would be around $250 ~ $300.

Then, if I wanted to collect all single volumes till the final one (5.17) I'm guessing it'd cost even more than for how much I bought the FUNi Dragon Boxes Z ($400ish).

This isn't decent but I suppose you confused it with the R1 version.
When I picked these up on eBay the boxes were about 20-30 bucks but I guess I just got lucky when I got all of mine. I don't think I spent over 50 bucks for any of them in either Like new or Brand New condition. This is USD currency too.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:09 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 pmWhen I picked these up on eBay the boxes were about 20-30 bucks but I guess I just got lucky when I got all of mine. I don't think I spent over 50 bucks for any of them in either Like new or Brand New condition. This is USD currency too.
Nice. You snatched them before the value increased.

I suppose it's still possible to get it for a good price but would have to be through someone who lives in AU/NZ and willing to sell for a decent value (+ shipping).

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pmThough honestly, in an ideal situation, I'd rather own a boxset that just used the uncut Pioneer versions of all three movies.
It does exist.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pmPlus, Tree Of Might is presented as a marathon feature on RTD, not the original 3-episode version, so arguably even that's done slightly wrong.
Although I agree that the 3-episode version should've been made available, the "marathon" version where it airs as one movie is not exactly wrong either as it did air on television that way at different times. It's the only way that movie 3 was ever aired here in Canada, for example.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pmThough honestly, in an ideal situation, I'd rather own a boxset that just used the uncut Pioneer versions of all three movies.
It does exist.
I meant alongside the Saban 1-53 episodes, but indeed.

I am aware of that box, though. It's pretty neat, though these days a bit pricey for what it is tbh.
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pmPlus, Tree Of Might is presented as a marathon feature on RTD, not the original 3-episode version, so arguably even that's done slightly wrong.
Although I agree that the 3-episode version should've been made available, the "marathon" version where it airs as one movie is not exactly wrong either as it did air on television that way at different times. It's the only way that movie 3 was ever aired here in Canada, for example.
Fair. Though the box specifically calls out fans who watched on syndication in the '90s in the USA, so... :think:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.