Digest Edition (Sōshūhen) Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Digest Edition (Sōshūhen) Discussion Thread

Post by Atp23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:27 am

Any news on pre-ordering the digest edition manga? Doesn't seem to be up on amazon or cdjapan. Will be out of the country during the first two releases and definitely can't miss them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Digest Edition Pre-Order

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:24 am

Atp23 wrote:Any news on pre-ordering the digest edition manga? Doesn't seem to be up on amazon or cdjapan. Will be out of the country during the first two releases and definitely can't miss them.
Digest version? Is that like the 3in1's here?

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:18 pm

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/04/04/dr ... -may-2016/

Supposed to be a release of what it looked like in the original jump issues.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:35 pm

I had not heard of these, but man they sound so cool! I really want them! I wonder if they are going to include the errors and such from the original run. I'd definitely be interested in pre ordering as well if we ever get an update for that.

They don't seem extremely expensive either! I really hope I won't miss out!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Just when I thought I could save money. Heck I should sell my 3in1's and get these!

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I had not heard of these, but man they sound so cool! I really want them! I wonder if they are going to include the errors and such from the original run. I'd definitely be interested in pre ordering as well if we ever get an update for that.

That would be really cool if they did, I'm also hoping so.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Atp23 wrote:That would be really cool if they did, I'm also hoping so.
It would certainly help me save time and money on tracking down the original Jump magazines if the mistakes were kept. I'd probably get some of the original Jump magazines anyway, but these would help keep me from feeling too bad about not owning them all!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
It would certainly help me save time and money on tracking down the original Jump magazines if the mistakes were kept. I'd probably get some of the original Jump magazines anyway, but these would help keep me from feeling too bad about not owning them all!
Same, I'm thinking of getting atleast the first volume to compare with thr real deal. Also is i like these ill get rid of my 3in1's as this will be the perfect release

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:17 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Just when I thought I could save money. Heck I should sell my 3in1's and get these!
Seriously, too much good stuff all the time!

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
Yeah, I would get the jump mags for collection and looking pretty. Then at least use these to actually read

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Here are the covers for the first two volumes

and a bigger picture of the ad

Now here is the question...will viz get these?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm actually digging the covers! I don't think Viz will get them, but crazier things have happened I suppose.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:38 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I'm actually digging the covers! I don't think Viz will get them, but crazier things have happened I suppose.
I was thinking the same cause these are really lesser quality Vizbigs *with all color pages* but who knows. I wonder what made them decide to release these?

Rakuten Preorders
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123743/ ... =345867962
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123744/ ... =345867962
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123751/ ... =345867962
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:45 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:I'm actually digging the covers! I don't think Viz will get them, but crazier things have happened I suppose.
I was thinking the same cause these are really lesser quality Vizbigs *with all color pages* but who knows. I wonder what made them decide to release these?
I dunno but if I feel like they could be really awesome. Please keep the original material! If Viz does get these they probably wont arrive soon just due to how recent the 3-in-1s are!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:42 am

These look so awesome! The covers kind of remind of two Tetsuwan Atom and Black Jack books I have.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I had not heard of these, but man they sound so cool! I really want them! I wonder if they are going to include the errors and such from the original run. I'd definitely be interested in pre ordering as well if we ever get an update for that.

Was anything actually corrected for the tankoubon releases compared to the original run? Based on the manga error thread (and stuff like the editor-added text being left on title pages) I was kind of under the impression that the tankoubon volumes were already pretty much a straight reprint of the weekly chapters (besides the lack of color), errors and all.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Theophrastus wrote:

Was anything actually corrected for the tankoubon releases compared to the original run? Based on the manga error thread (and stuff like the editor-added text being left on title pages) I was kind of under the impression that the tankoubon volumes were already pretty much a straight reprint of the weekly chapters (besides the lack of color), errors and all.
I was under the same impression, but as you mentioned that release didn't have colored pages. It looks like this one will! Plus these seem to be a better value overall than the tankoubons.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:56 pm

No, things like Gohan's age originally being three instead of four, and a chapter referring to General Silver instead of General White were changed for the tankobon.

I had missed the report on these too, but they sound awesome. I so, so, so hope they don't include any of the collected release changes and are completely true to the original release. If so, I would pick these up in a heartbeat.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:No, things like Gohan's age originally being three instead of four, and a chapter referring to General Silver instead of General White were changed for the tankobon.

I had missed the report on these too, but they sound awesome. I so, so, so hope they don't include any of the collected release changes and are completely true to the original release. If so, I would pick these up in a heartbeat.
Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about Gohan's age mistake completely.

Yeah my fingers are crossed that the changes aren't included either. I might end up liking these just as much as the Kanzenban, if not moreso! I imagine we will get more info closer to the initial release date. Pretty interesting how quickly these are coming out as well!

Also, thanks for the Rakuten links, eledoremassis02!

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:

Rakuten Preorders
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123743/ ... =345867962
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123744/ ... =345867962
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14123751/ ... =345867962

Nice find! Thanks