Trunks hair color?!!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nicolas_3d
Beyond Newbie

Trunks hair color?!!!

Post by nicolas_3d » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:07 am

Hi, i'm pretty sure this topic has already been debated before, but I can't find the post.
Why is Futur Trunks hair blue in the Dragon Ball Super? I went back to see old Dragon Ball Z screens and he has purple hair, and kid Trunks in Super also has purple hair...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-vUrCcewT0

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Trunks hair color?!!!

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:19 am

Let me put this in spoiler-free way

Blueper Saiyajin = Goku & Veggie in FnF

Need any more reason behind Trunk's blue hair?

Opps. Was that spoiler?

Plus Black Goku thingy giving scornful look at Trunks. A simple poster is more than enuf to spoil plot-line of an entire Arc

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 am

It's just Toriyama being forgetful again.

Personally I'll just let it slide as its far from the worst thing that's ever happened to the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:40 am

Toriyama has always drawn Trunks with the same purple hair colour as Bulma so maybe he specifically intended that this design be for the anime (although surely he must know that Trunks' hair is purple in the anime?), he did the same for Battle of Gods but Toei changed it for the actual film but now Toei seem to not be questioning it and just putting it in as is...

I've seen some people come up with the explanation that since this Trunks should be in his 20s/30s that his hair changes colour as he gets older, I wonder if they'll bring this up at all if they show him meeting chibi trunks

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:53 am

Vijay wrote:Let me put this in spoiler-free way

Opps. Was that spoiler?

Plus Black Goku thingy giving scornful look at Trunks. A simple poster is more than enuf to spoil plot-line of an entire Arc
If Trunks had SSJB it'd be looking like SSJ instead of his base. It's just a simple redesign and it helps him stand apart from kid Trunks. I think the Blue suits him better to be honest. At least it looks just like Trunks!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:55 am

Xeztin wrote:

Opps. Was that spoiler?

If Trunks had SSJB it'd be looking like SSJ instead of his base. It's just a simple redesign and it helps him stand apart from kid Trunks. I think the Blue suits him better to be honest. At least it looks just like Trunks!
Other than purple which does not look like Trunks but the guy from vol. 28? I do not know what you mean with that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Xeztin wrote:

Opps. Was that spoiler?

What makes you think he is in Base?

SSJ became obsolete once SSJ Goddo/Goat came into picture with BOG

SSJ Goddo/Goat became an after-thought once Blueper Saiyajin was introduced in FnF

Look at where SSJ stands. Plus given TOEI's track record (highly consistent in being inconsistent) I'm darn sure TOEI simply forgot Trunks hair color. But the scenario unintentionally "spoiled" Trunks ability to go Blueper Saiyajin & Evil Goku in background, which somehow managed to raise the curiosity among loyal long-time fans

I do think blue looks much....cooler. It makes him stand out more.

But whats da use? End of da day, he's still gonna be sidelined just so Goku becomes central show piece for remaining 90% of the Arc

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:00 pm

I find it unlikely they forgot seeing as younger Trunks still has his lavender hair. It's intentional for whatever reason. :)

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm hoping it's a controlled Bluper form and not just a color fix.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm color blind, so it makes no real difference to me.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Toriyama forgot or he doesn't care. XD

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Toriyama just most likely forgot about Trunks original colour, just like he does with the few smaller details in regards to certain characters.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama just most likely forgot about Trunks original colour, just like he does with the few smaller details in regards to certain characters.
But don't you think someone would tell him or at least ask him? I don't think making that kind of remark or observation would get someone fired...
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:05 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama just most likely forgot about Trunks original colour, just like he does with the few smaller details in regards to certain characters.
But don't you think someone would tell him or at least ask him? I don't think making that kind of remark or observation would get someone fired...
I think at this stage, stuff like the colour of some of the characters hair is not really something to work up a sweat about. I think the main focus will be if Toriyama can deliver a genuinely good story with Future Trunks returning and basically Evil Goku. If that happens, then stuff like Future Trunks suddenly having blue hair will just seem like a minor nitpick.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:55 pm

The same color as Bulma's.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Even if Toriyama really forgot about it. TOEI could just simply fix his hair like in BoG, but they didn't. So there must be a reason why.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 am

Khin wrote:
Even if Toriyama really forgot about it. TOEI could just simply fix his hair like in BoG, but they didn't. So there must be a reason why.
He looks too cool to change it?
Maybe they thought that the color scheme fits, so why change it back to the lavender :P

I guess its the red scarf that does the trick :P
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:06 am

Am I the only one who doesn't really care color scheme consistency? As seen in many color pages and covers in the original manga, Toriyama has a tendency to freely change color schemes according to the balance in each panel/page, which I think is part of the charm of his art. I like the bluish hair in DBZ movie 9 for the same reason, but I've never heard of any complaints about it.

I do care about the colors that are clearly stated in-universe, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:13 am

I honestly don't care, either. Coloring is merely a tool to express an idea, so if the use of blue hair here is to express an idea I see no problem.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:15 am

I guess this means Trunks won't be going Super Saiyan Blue...because he already has blue hair.