Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Beek King wrote:This has been said 530 000 times but I'm annoyed how so many people go out of their way to rationalize any blatant plothole or clumsy retcon simply because Toriyama made it. Had GT or a movie done the same thing it would've been lambasted.
I'm annoyed in a similar manner by how the same people take anything slightly questionable done by Super (mostly the anime) and rip it to shreds, but if it was in the original manga, there's absolutely nothing​ wrong with it.

Obviously, not everyone's like this, but as I've been saying lately, the majority of the Super community is pretty bad.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:14 pm

The thing that grinds my gears the most is every "these people" or "those fans" or "that community".

Who? Who are those people? Without turning things into a witchhunt, name a goddamn name!!! (I guess that can't work with itself, and that's never something I'd actually condone...)

Stop with the generalizing. Stop complaining about complaining.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:[spoiler]The thing that grinds my gears the most is every "these people" or "those fans" or "that community".

Who? Who are those people? Without turning things into a witchhunt, name a goddamn name!!! (I guess that can't work with itself, and that's never something I'd actually condone...)

Stop with the generalizing. Stop complaining about complaining.[/spoiler]
Apologies, was that directed partially or wholly at me? If so, I avoid directly naming people to abide to the rules:
Personal attacks against members — of this community or otherwise — will not be tolerated.
And because, quite frankly, it's just plain mean. :P I'm not really sure I can be more specific in my "Super community" thing - I'm referring to the people in the Dragon Ball Super section and related threads.

At any rate, maybe a break would do me some good. Apologies for any trouble I caused, though!
MyAnimeList | AniList

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Not really (just) you, but the two posts above me, but everyone in general! There's SO. MUCH. generalization, and it's always "those people". Like... I mean... WHO? WHO are "these people" that you're referencing?! More often than not, I have to imagine someone comes across a single post they don't like, and just completely fabricate some larger group of people to be their boogyman.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Well, to be fair, I'm sure you've seen most of what I'm referring to yourself, namely, the reactions to the previous arc's ending, Gokū's portrayal in the latest arc, the 28 planets line in the most recent episode, etc. Unfortunately, from my brief search, I couldn't find any examples of these to quote, but I don't believe they're particularly difficult to find. Maybe I just disagree with them more than anything, though.

Still, you're right in that I make too many generalizations. Perhaps paying less attention to Super-related topics and discussions coupled with less frequent overall visits for a little while will be beneficial.
MyAnimeList | AniList

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:18 pm

When people say "You shouldn't compare Super to Z because it's unfair to Super".

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:24 pm

"People complaining for the sake of complaining"

No they don't. More often then not there are reasons for it. Nobody is a mustache twirler looking to complain because they want to be evil and ruin what they truly believe is a masterpiece. It's disrespectful and places someone else on a pedestal for treating opposite opinions as mere fan canon or just bitching for the sake of it. I swear it's mostly said by people who don't want to understand why someone has a problem, so it's just mindless whining and fan canon being shattered of course.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 pm

This screenshot grinds my gears. One of the worst images of Goku in my opinion.

"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

ABED wrote:
I totally agree with you that the censorship is more offensive than the censored content.
Isn't it always?

Although I'm unsure if it's censorship in this context. Censorship only applies to government action. However, the line admittedly gets blurry because it's unclear know how much is Saban/FUNi editing for younger audiences and what they are legally allowed to say on children's programming. Not making any distinction between censorship and actions of a company (not saying this neccessarily applies to anyone in particular) grinds my gears.
I mean, usually. But often I can understand the impetus for wanting to usher out something that could be frightening or damaging for kids. I rarely if ever agree with it, but at least I don't look at the result and say, "This is actually way more damaging" most of the time."

In the case of changing "Bra" to "Bulla," I feel we're left with something far more socially problematic than what we had at the start. What was an innocuous underwear reference like any other is turned into the mess Gaffer Tape describes so well above, furthering ideas that basic elements of women's bodies should never, ever be referenced, because apparently basic elements of women's bodies are about sex. Which, like, get the fuck outta here.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Avenant wrote:This screenshot grinds my gears. One of the worst images of Goku in my opinion.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ah, the good old big bones shot. Like this.
:lol:
It's definitely not the best Z has looked.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

Some of the FUNi's name spellings. Like the random i's in Freeza and Jheese. Everytime I see "Frieza" I read it as Fryza. Like fry as in French fries. Also Dr. Briefs and Bulma Briefs. Why is there an s added at the end? And why is Bulma called Bulma Briefs when Brief is not a family name? Why FUNi, why?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 pm

I assume it's Briefs instead of Brief because Briefs keeps the pun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm

ABED wrote:I assume it's Briefs instead of Brief because Briefs keeps the pun.
But isn't Briefs the actual English word and not the pun? Wouldn't Briefs be the same as calling Freeza, Freezer? This is a legit question, not being sarcastic or anything.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
But isn't Briefs the actual English word and not the pun? Wouldn't Briefs be the same as calling Freeza, Freezer? This is a legit question, not being sarcastic or anything.
Sometimes the name is more blatant, like Trunks, other times it's more obscured like Jheese/Jeice or however you want to spell it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Japanese language does not have plurals so it will very often remove the -s ending with English words. Exceptions are things like proper names or words that don't have a singular form really (pants -> pantsu).
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:56 pm

People who complain about how much they hate GT and then they reveal that they've never even seen the series before. For some reason I saw quite a few people saying this in different parts of the internet recently (here, reddit, youtube comments, etc.) so that's why I bring it up.

I mean, how the hell can you say you hate something you've never seen? Hate is a strong word to even begin with, so the fact that there are people out there that absolutely *hate* GT but have never seen it before, just boggles my mind. I'm really curious as to how many people that say they hate GT have even seen the series before.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:07 am

People who say, "Why don't Goku and Chi-Chi go ask Bulma for money? She's rich!"

Just because you're friends with someone rich doesn't mean they're obligated to give you money. Even if some people say Goku has earned it given how many times he's saved both Bulma and the world, that still doesn't make it right. If anything, it should be on Bulma to offer Goku's family money, both out of kindness and as a thank you for everything they've done. You also have to take into account the fact that Goku and Chi-Chi are independent, mostly self-sustaining people, who have their pride. It isn't in their nature to beg their friends for money.

However, what I find even more annoying than this is the people who say, "Why does Gohan bother having a job? His father in law is rich! That means Gohan can keep on asking him for money and doesn't have to work a day in his life!"

Often, these are the same kinds of people shitting on Gohan for not being a carbon copy of Goku, and spending most of his time training while neglecting his family.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Asura wrote:People who complain about how much they hate GT and then they reveal that they've never even seen the series before. For some reason I saw quite a few people saying this in different parts of the internet recently (here, reddit, youtube comments, etc.) so that's why I bring it up.

I mean, how the hell can you say you hate something you've never seen? Hate is a strong word to even begin with, so the fact that there are people out there that absolutely *hate* GT but have never seen it before, just boggles my mind. I'm really curious as to how many people that say they hate GT have even seen the series before.
The same reason that most people hate GT; The herd said so! Good luck finding someone with a legitimate, well-thought opinion on GT whether they've seen it or not. It's been the black sheep for so long, it's really bound to be this way, but it's annoying nonetheless.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:15 pm

The same reason that most people hate GT; The herd said so! Good luck finding someone with a legitimate, well-thought opinion on GT whether they've seen it or not. It's been the black sheep for so long, it's really bound to be this way, but it's annoying nonetheless.
I don't hate GT, but I don't love it either. There is some basis for your statement about herd mentality but there are plenty of people right here who have made well reasoned statements about why they dislike the show after having seen it, so I think your statement is unfair and more than a tad disingenuous. I'm not good writer, but I think many would agree that GT has a bunch of good ideas, but it's very poorly executed.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 pm

ABED wrote:I'm not good writer, but I think many would agree that GT has a bunch of good ideas, but it's very poorly executed.
Does that even mean anything anymore? That's a perfect example of what I mean. It's only once in a blue moon that anything you hear people say about GT is anything other than regurgitation.
Retired.