Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:17 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:Nah, even if it was an option, I'd still rather not kill my friends and family even if I knew I could revive them later. I blame this partially on how damn easy the DB's make everything.
That is crux of my problem with death in later Dragon Ball and even in comic books. The characters are so aware that death matters nothing to them that I find reactions to it or hesitation about it odd. Goku is 100% fine with Bulma's parents and hometown being destroyed by Boo because the DBs are around to fix it but Vegetto himself isn't okay with killing the boys & Piccolo even though the same solution applies.
Yeah, they probably should be more consistent in their reactions. In DB, death doesn't feel final, but even in DC and Marvel where characters get brought back, it's not as easy as making a wish with the Dragon Balls, so I feel like even the temporary deaths carry more weight. I like when stories hang a lantern on this issue.
I'm finding it increasingly hard to buy even with the big two. I was reading Stark Disassembled the other day and Tony goes on a whole spiel about how death is the superhero retirement plan and I just couldn't help but laugh when Thor literally just came back from Ragnarok to life as did Captain America (although he was lost in time or some shit).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:Nah, even if it was an option, I'd still rather not kill my friends and family even if I knew I could revive them later. I blame this partially on how damn easy the DB's make everything.
That is crux of my problem with death in later Dragon Ball and even in comic books. The characters are so aware that death matters nothing to them that I find reactions to it or hesitation about it odd. Goku is 100% fine with Bulma's parents and hometown being destroyed by Boo because the DBs are around to fix it but Vegetto himself isn't okay with killing the boys & Piccolo even though the same solution applies.
Yeah, they probably should be more consistent in their reactions. In DB, death doesn't feel final, but even in DC and Marvel where characters get brought back, it's not as easy as making a wish with the Dragon Balls, so I feel like even the temporary deaths carry more weight. I like when stories hang a lantern on this issue.
It's a big talking point of writing in general; the subject of 'Resurrection'.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm finding it increasingly hard to buy even with the big two. I was reading Stark Disassembled the other day and Tony goes on a whole spiel about how death is the superhero retirement plan and I just couldn't help but laugh when Thor literally just came back from Ragnarok to life as did Captain America (although he was lost in time or some shit).
Marvel and DC have the benefit of different continuities. DB is one story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm

ABED wrote:
Marvel and DC have the benefit of different continuities. DB is one story.
DC does but Marvel's still the same. Secret Wars didn't really change anything except meld other AU stuff into it like Miles.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 am

People who watch the opening cutscenes of video games and say "This is better animated than Super!" or "I wish Super had this kind of animation!"

Because 30 second to one minute long clips from video games can totally be compared to 20 minute long anime episodes. That aside, Super's had its fair share of horrible animation, that's for sure, but a lot of people only seem to reference it at its shittest, like episode 5, when talking about the animation for the series as a whole.

I really need to stop reading YouTube comment sections.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:People who watch the opening cutscenes of video games and say "This is better animated than Super!" or "I wish Super had this kind of animation!"

Because 30 second to one minute long clips from video games can totally be compared to 20 minute long anime episodes. That aside, Super's had its fair share of horrible animation, that's for sure, but a lot of people only seem to reference it at its shittest, like episode 5, when talking about the animation for the series as a whole.

I really need to stop reading YouTube comment sections.
I'd argue the animation since around EP39 has ranged from decent to really good, with the instances of sub par art or animation being kept to a bare minimum. And the animation in the current has been consistently really nice, with only a few instances of funky looking art.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:16 pm

When people don't have Rosé Black with that one hair strand sticking out, drives me up the wall, I can maybe let fan artists slide but official products nah.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 pm

You know what grinds my gears. When people say that Vegeta is a better father than Goku. Did we forget what Vegeta did to Trunks in the Android arc?
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Did we forget what Vegeta did to Trunks in the Android arc?
Umm... maybe...
Retired.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:58 pm

The Patrolman wrote:You know what grinds my gears. When people say that Vegeta is a better father than Goku. Did we forget what Vegeta did to Trunks in the Android arc?
He disciplined his child LIKE A FATHER SHOULD! :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Power levels. Not the actual Battle power concept or even it's debates, but the actual word "Power Levels". I guess it bothers me because it is a constant remminder of how divided the fandom is. Every time see the term "Power Level", I instantly think that who ever wrote that comment grew up with a very different version of Dbz than me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't think you'll ever find any fandom that's not divided on something, nor do I think it's an inherently positive or negative sign.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 pm

ABED wrote:I don't think you'll ever find any fandom that's not divided on something, nor do I think it's an inherently positive or negative sign.
If fandom agrees (positively or negatively) on everything it would be a circlejerk.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't think you'll ever find any fandom that's not divided on something, nor do I think it's an inherently positive or negative sign.
If fandom agrees (positively or negatively) on everything it would be a circlejerk.
You must not get around to many other fandoms these days :P

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

The Patrolman wrote:You know what grinds my gears. When people say that Vegeta is a better father than Goku. Did we forget what Vegeta did to Trunks in the Android arc?
Future Trunks technically isn't this Vegeta's child though. He never treated kid Trunks badly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm

precita wrote:
Future Trunks technically isn't this Vegeta's child though. He never treated kid Trunks badly.
He didn't treat him great either. He didn't show him affection until he was about to die.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

precita wrote:
Future Trunks specifically calls Vegeta out for not caring about whether his wife and child died or not.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 pm

I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the whole "Piccolo is Gohans real dad" meme that's been around for years.

I thought it was just a joke, but I'm starting to think there are some that actually put Piccolo as the greatest father of the world. I get that they're close but it confuses me because I have a hard time thinking of any moments where Piccolo in any way seems like Gohans "Real dad".
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 am

I hate when people say Goku is not a hero. He ALWAYS tried to take the battles out of the city, even in the old movies. He always was concerned about what could happen with population because of his battles. Dude, he sacrificed himself TWICE! There's nothingo more altruistic than that!

"Goku is not a good father, Goku is not responsible, Goku never cared about the others". Dragon Ball Super changed a character that was compared even to Jesus to a bad person no one cares about.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:16 am

Trickster wrote:I hate when people say Goku is not a hero. He ALWAYS tried to take the battles out of the city, even in the old movies. He always was concerned about what could happen with population because of his battles. Dude, he sacrificed himself TWICE! There's nothingo more altruistic than that!

"Goku is not a good father, Goku is not responsible, Goku never cared about the others". Dragon Ball Super changed a character that was compared even to Jesus to a bad person no one cares about.
He also used to expressly show more concern for his friends than his battles, but people have short memories.
Retired.