Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am

Why would you sig that? Of course everyone is going to be secondary to the main character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Super expecting me to believe that Boohan vs Vegetto from the manga,a fight spanning TWO CHAPTERS apparently lasted a whole hour.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Super expecting me to believe that Boohan vs Vegetto from the manga,a fight spanning TWO CHAPTERS apparently lasted a whole hour.
Goku V Freeza was three episodes and it was five minutes. Everything so far in the ToP has lasted in less than 48 minutes. Time is funky in fiction. Also, it is possible that Vegetto's Super Saiyan drained his time that quickly... As unbelievable as that sounds.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:03 am

Goku in Super being an unlikable, static character without a care in the world for the repercussions of his actions. It's like all his character and development was washed away.

Even more sadly, we have to deal with the fucker all the damn time because Super hates giving attention to the rest of the cast despite the previous series having really well handled character relevancy. :evil:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:21 am

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Super expecting me to believe that Boohan vs Vegetto from the manga,a fight spanning TWO CHAPTERS apparently lasted a whole hour.
Goku V Freeza was three episodes and it was five minutes. Everything so far in the ToP has lasted in less than 48 minutes. Time is funky in fiction. Also, it is possible that Vegetto's Super Saiyan drained his time that quickly... As unbelievable as that sounds.
Goku vs Freeza lasted about 8 chapters from during the five minute fight.

Super Vegetto vs Boohan was two and it's barely a fight, Vegetto isn't using his full power and is barely exerting any effort at all to win. This is a far cry from the heated fight of the Super anime orhim dicking around with a stamina draining form like in the Toyotaro version.

It doesn't work.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 am

Even more sadly, we have to deal with the fucker all the damn time because Super hates giving attention to the rest of the cast despite the previous series having really well handled character relevancy.
Not what I've been reading. I hear Super has been giving the supporting characters relevancy even if it doesn't make any sense (e.g. Muten Roshi).
Super expecting me to believe that Boohan vs Vegetto from the manga,a fight spanning TWO CHAPTERS apparently lasted a whole hour.
The amount of chapters doesn't have anything to do with the length of the fight. Vegetto was buying time. I buy a fight like that lasting a while more than a super intense battle. The entire point of the fight was to get Buu so frustrated he would try to absorb him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 am

ABED wrote:
Even more sadly, we have to deal with the fucker all the damn time because Super hates giving attention to the rest of the cast despite the previous series having really well handled character relevancy.
Not what I've been reading. I hear Super has been giving the supporting characters relevancy even if it doesn't make any sense (e.g. Muten Roshi).
The amount of chapters doesn't have anything to do with the length of the fight. Vegetto was buying time. I buy a fight like that lasting a while more than a super intense battle. The entire point of the fight was to get Buu so frustrated he would try to absorb him.
It's easier to swallow a long fight if the fight itself is actually presented as long but it really isn't, Vegetto powers up, smacks Boohan around a few times, Boohan flips out and then eats him. There's also the fact the potara gets cut down if the fusion is wasting energy which also can't work since Vegetto flat out says he's not using his true SS power to kick Boohan's ass.

This is a retcon that can work for the anime where they really stretch out this particular fight but for the manga it's entirely implausible to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am

I get your point, but regardless of the actual screen time of the battle, I think all you need to do is indicate the passage of time. It can be done visually or through dialog or both. I agree that it's a retcon, but given the nature of the battle, I find it easier to believe that Vegetto would waste time for an hour to get Buu frustrated enough to absorb him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am

The Ginyu force are kind of shit to me, I don't really get their popularity, they aren't even good parodies if you ask me.

They would've been a lot more interesting if Toriyama gave all the members unique abilities. Besides Ginyu & Guldo, they're all just generic DB fighters. I mean, Burter makes a big deal out of being the fastest of the universe but because he lacks an unique ability, you know its a moronic statement when you know that Freeza's & Ginyu's PLs make him slower then them by default.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm

People who complain about how time works in the show. And I'm not saying that just because I saw the post a few posts above but I've been thinking about it for a while. "But how could only 13 minutes have passed in the Tournament of Power? We've been watching for at least over 100 minutes!"

We already know that they're moving at super human speeds. We already know how wonky time is in Z. Time doesn't even matter, it's just a plot convenience. It really has no impact on the show other than letting you know how long things actually lasted (as if that's even that important). Even at the ToP it's just a way to show how far in we are progress wise. Near the end it'll just be used as a plot point to generate nervousness and drama. I just don't know why people complain about how time passes in the series when it's never been important except as a means to show there's a time limit where something will happen or as just to say "This is how long this fight lasted".

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I mean, Burter makes a big deal out of being the fastest of the universe but because he lacks an unique ability, you know its a moronic statement when you know that Freeza's & Ginyu's PLs make him slower then them by default.
That wasn't by default until that very arc that Burter was introduced, or else Ten's belief during the 23rd Budokai makes no sense: before Namek, you could be faster without being stronger; or, rather, your speed to could stay the same while your strength grows. I mean, I guess Ten could just be factually incorrect since Goku was much faster than he thought, but he's knowledgeable enough in martial arts that I think I'd take his word that speed can be faster or slower than power level, which means the Burter thing was a subtle retcon.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 pm

This whole true fan thing.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:10 am

Unexplained things in the original future timeline
-the fate of non-combatants(Future Chi-Chi, Puar, Oolong, Baba etc.)
-the fate of the Lookout and Future Mr. Popo
-what the deceased warriors did after their deaths
-what was Future King Kai during
-why wasn't New Namek contacted and the Namekian Dragonballs used to resurrect the fallen
-the fate of Future Android 16
-what was Future Bulma and Future Kid Gohan going to wish for with the Dragonballs before Piccolo/Kami deaths

Unexplained things in the new timeline created by the split
-why were the Android twins stronger and less hostile than their original future versions(especially since all versions of other villains like Cell, Babidi, Dabura and Zamasu were the same)
-why did Goku get sick later than the original timeline

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 am

-why were the Android twins stronger and less hostile than their original future versions(especially since all versions of other villains like Cell, Babidi, Dabura and Zamasu were the same)
Not unexplained - it's the butterfly effect.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:34 pm

ABED wrote:
Not unexplained - it's the butterfly effect.
The butterfly effect works to explain Goku but why does Cell burying his ass in a wasteland or Trunks killing two people Gero was unaware of change anything at all.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Well, Vegetto Blue didn't last an hour either nor did SS3 Gotenks. Who's to say Super Vegetto lasted the full amount?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Well, Vegetto Blue didn't last an hour either nor did SS3 Gotenks. Who's to say Super Vegetto lasted the full amount?
He's not even using the full power of regular SS, what the hell is eating his stamina?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
He's not even using the full power of regular SS, what the hell is eating his stamina?
I don't think it has anything to do with stamina. Just that too much power output wastes fusion time. Same principle as transforming into SS3 somehow wastes the time you're allowed to stay on Earth.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Zeru14 wrote: -why were the Android twins stronger and less hostile than their original future versions(especially since all versions of other villains like Cell, Babidi, Dabura and Zamasu were the same)
How do we know Dabura and Zamasu were the same strength as they were when they were encountered in the original timeline? Future Zamasu was definitely stronger considering he holds himself well against Goku and Co despite Goku utterly humiliating him in the original timeline fight.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

atatatatata
Some of the added scenes Toei gave the DBZ battles. Most people like it, but I thought Piccolo and 17 showboating underwater was a bit too much