Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 pm

When it comes to Goku's personality I judge it strictly by the manga since Toriyama's word is definitely final in that regard. Of course he's not the best father in the world but he never claimed to be. He definitely cares about his family just not in the traditional sense. But they accept him for who he is, that's why I find the cast of DB to be so likable. Also, even though they tried to say that Saiyans just have a natural fighting sense I've always felt that Goku simply has an adrenaline addiction and can't pass up a challenge. Hell one of my favorite recent demonstrations of this is when he's told he can't have a match against Monaka and Goku impulsively punches him in the face!

As for Piccolo, nobody has ever agreed with me on this but I've always looked at Piccolo as a big brother to Gohan. But that's because I can never forget the fact that they're technically only seven years apart in age.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Gligarman wrote:
As for Piccolo, nobody has ever agreed with me on this but I've always looked at Piccolo as a big brother to Gohan. But that's because I can never forget the fact that they're technically only seven years apart in age.
Well, I've always thought Piccolo was a "father figure" for Gohan, albeit one that doesn't outright replace Goku.

You know what... he's kind of like an uncle to him, in my eyes. :D
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Someone: "Why do you prefer Dragonball in English, you fucking infidel?!"
Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEhQdSuAF0
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Claiming Toriyama's editors telling him he should make changes is tampering. It could be that or it could be a natural part of the creative process. Artists usually take advice from people whose opinions they trust. They rarely if ever create in a vaccuum. I doubt Toriyama couldn't have gotten what he really wanted if he stood firm. If he really wanted 19 and 20 to be the central protagonists, I doubt his editors wouldn't have let him. Regardless, I'm glad he listened.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 pm

ABED wrote:Claiming Toriyama's editors telling him he should make changes is tampering. It could be that or it could be a natural part of the creative process. Artists usually take advice from people whose opinions they trust. They rarely if ever create in a vaccuum. I doubt Toriyama couldn't have gotten what he really wanted if he stood firm. If he really wanted 19 and 20 to be the central protagonists, I doubt his editors wouldn't have let him. Regardless, I'm glad he listened.
To add to this, the idea that dragon ball was created in a vacuum.

I've come across a few people in my time, not so much here, who fly off the handle when you try to suggest that other things from around dragon balls run and development influenced it and its direction. Dragon Ball is as influenced by contemporary and passed media as anything else. Its far from just being just based off of Journey to the West, which mostly applies to its first arc.

King13s

Post by King13s » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 am

Honestly this all amuses me so much. There's this story I tell people.

When I was in highschool I wrote this poem about a red liquid, but I was very illusive about the liquid until the last line, where I blatantly explain it's just catsup. The illusion was that readers seek deeper meaning in art. They just do. We're designed to think the creator has vast intentions and incredible depth.

Yeah sometimes that's true. Other times, as in with Dragon Ball, it's just not the case. It is entertainment. It was made for entertainment of kids and young adults. Plot elements are random and unplanned. Depth is not Toriyama's strong suit. Laziness, spontaneous ideas, and forced changes are how he works.

Goku's personality has been defined by Toriyama as boring, single minded, and while he cares for his family he sees them as nothing more than just good friends.

There is no deeper meaning. There is no defending Goku's parenting. The creator has spoken, and that is God telling you how the world works.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 am

At this point, much of the fandom. Particularly dubbies and people who obsess over power levels.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:51 am

Plot elements are random and unplanned. Depth is not Toriyama's strong suit. Laziness, spontaneous ideas, and forced changes are how he works.
Unplanned doesn't mean lazy or lacks depth. I also think one of Toriyama does a number of times is take certain elements that he thinks of later and makes it fit. For instance, Goku's Saiyan heritage. It wasn't planned, but it fit. As does Piccolo being an alien. He's not perfect, but his simple plots are ideal for that style of writing and despite that, I would consider characters like Vegeta to have depth.

Otherwise, I do agree that sometimes a river is just a river.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

When it comes to the dubs, I'm fine with people liking it if they want to (because even I do to a degree).

But I hate when people act like I'm overreacting to changes in the script and actively defend the dub choices with arguments like "It makes more sense that way" or "it's funnier like that."
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 pm

ABED wrote:Claiming Toriyama's editors telling him he should make changes is tampering. It could be that or it could be a natural part of the creative process. Artists usually take advice from people whose opinions they trust. They rarely if ever create in a vaccuum. I doubt Toriyama couldn't have gotten what he really wanted if he stood firm. If he really wanted 19 and 20 to be the central protagonists, I doubt his editors wouldn't have let him. Regardless, I'm glad he listened.
He definitely would have had his way if he wanted. You can only took at the decision to turn Goku into an adult to see that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
He definitely would have had his way if he wanted. You can only took at the decision to turn Goku into an adult to see that.
That example would definitely be my go-to argument.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am

double post.
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:At this point, much of the fandom. Particularly dubbies and people who obsess over power levels.
Yeah. This. But I like to add extreme shippers and elitist sub fans in the mix too.
King13s wrote: The creator has spoken, and that is God telling you how the world works.
Death of the Author. It's a legitimate thing in literature and writing.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

When people refer to the original, Japanese Goku as 'grandma Goku' and refuse to watch the original because 'Goku's voice grates on my nerves and he sounds like a grandma'

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:17 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:At this point, much of the fandom. Particularly dubbies and people who obsess over power levels.
Yeah. This. But I like to add extreme shippers and elitist sub fans in the mix too.
King13s wrote: The creator has spoken, and that is God telling you how the world works.
Death of the Author. It's a legitimate thing in literature and writing.
Obviously Jinzoningen Juuhachigou is the only acceptable name.

Because who cares about the name making any coherent sense to anyone? Gotta be as literal as possible, even if it comes across as clunky and completely misses the fucking point.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Because who cares about the name making any coherent sense to anyone? Gotta be as literal as possible, even if it comes across as clunky and completely misses the fucking point.
Awhile back, someone on this forum (i dont think they're on here anymore) called USSJ/Grade 3 the full Japanese "Super Saiyajin Dai San Dankai." It was weird

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:56 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Awhile back, someone on this forum (i dont think they're on here anymore) called USSJ/Grade 3 the full Japanese "Super Saiyajin Dai San Dankai." It was weird
That was Magunya, but I can recall others doing the same.
Also
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Since you're Rocketman's girlfriend, please confirm or deny if he's the one making those low quality art DB Super strips.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
That was Magunya, but I can recall others doing the same.
Also
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Since you're Rocketman's girlfriend, please confirm or deny if he's the one making those low quality art DB Super strips.
What are you talking about?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 am

Sailor Haumea wrote: What are you talking about?
Theseviewtopic.php?f=6&t=22211&start=6860#p1453169
Is he the creator?

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote: What are you talking about?
Theseviewtopic.php?f=6&t=22211&start=6860#p1453169
Is he the creator?
Check the next page. Someone on 4chan made them.