Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Cetra wrote:"Beerus isn't a villain. It's his job. He does it for the balance of the universe." Yeah, having a job does not actually disqualify or justify the genocide of thousands of innocent lives. Even more ridiculous when its is only done by whim.
It seems to be dictated by fate or something. The gods seem to be an agent of nature. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have only seen the last two movies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Goku fanboys always using the same excuses "he hit his head" , "he grew up in the woods" whenever people claim goku is a braindead idiot in anything thats not fighting. Vegeta grew up fighting plant monsters and conquering planets and piccolo was literally spit out and neither of them went to school and yet they have far higher basic iq's than goku. Vegeta fans don't deny vegeta is arrogant, gohan fans don't deny he's a pacifist but goku fanboys feel the need to whitewash everything about him with dumb arguments

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:Goku fanboys always using the same excuses "he hit his head" , "he grew up in the woods" whenever people claim goku is a braindead idiot in anything thats not fighting. Vegeta grew up fighting plant monsters and conquering planets and piccolo was literally spit out and neither of them went to school and yet they have far higher basic iq's than goku. Vegeta fans don't deny vegeta is arrogant, gohan fans don't deny he's a pacifist but goku fanboys feel the need to whitewash everything about him with dumb arguments
Do we know Vegeta didn't have any schooling? And Daimao would have the knowledge the son of Katatsu did. We know for a fact that Goku didn't grow up in civilization.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue May 29, 2018 1:09 pm

ABED wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:Goku fanboys always using the same excuses "he hit his head" , "he grew up in the woods" whenever people claim goku is a braindead idiot in anything thats not fighting. Vegeta grew up fighting plant monsters and conquering planets and piccolo was literally spit out and neither of them went to school and yet they have far higher basic iq's than goku. Vegeta fans don't deny vegeta is arrogant, gohan fans don't deny he's a pacifist but goku fanboys feel the need to whitewash everything about him with dumb arguments
Do we know Vegeta didn't have any schooling? And Daimao would have the knowledge the son of Katatsu did. We know for a fact that Goku didn't grow up in civilization.
What school do you think vegeta went to? "Mass genocide elementary"? "Fake Moon Junion High"?

Goku has grown up around other earthlings for almost 40 years now, roshi even taught him basic math at one point. If as a 50 year old man with a wife and two kids, he still has to count on his fingers and can't figure out why someone would want to hang around their pregnant wife, then he's incapable of even average intelligence. Piccolo knows how to make food for pan at a level chichi can't. Goku needs his wife to draw him pictures of animals so that he can know what to purchase, she can't just tell him "buy chicken"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't think it was like the kind of schooling we went to. Probably tutor because clearly he has basic communication skills.

Goku's not stupid because he's incapable of learning, he just doesn't care to learn things that don't interest him. It's like when Sherlock Holmes says he doesn't know the Earth revolved around the sun. It was meant to be funny, but also demonstrate that Sherlock is so dedicated to his job that anything that takes up brain space which doesn't help him to solve crimes, he discards or never learns.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed May 30, 2018 12:20 am

ABED wrote:I don't think it was like the kind of schooling we went to. Probably tutor because clearly he has basic communication skills.

Goku's not stupid because he's incapable of learning, he just doesn't care to learn things that don't interest him. It's like when Sherlock Holmes says he doesn't know the Earth revolved around the sun. It was meant to be funny, but also demonstrate that Sherlock is so dedicated to his job that anything that takes up brain space which doesn't help him to solve crimes, he discards or never learns.
Wait so you unironically think goku actually has intelligence beyond fighting and physical activities? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds like a good excuse to your parents after you fail a class "its not that i didn't understand the material, i just didn't care for it" and i would argue that learning basic human customs, ettiquete and functions is pretty important since basically everyone around him including a genocidal space money and a big green man

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 am

BlueVegerot wrote:Goku fanboys always using the same excuses "he hit his head" , "he grew up in the woods" whenever people claim goku is a braindead idiot in anything thats not fighting.
Maybe Super Goku, but Z Goku certainly hasn't been depicted as an idiot IMO lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am

BlueVegerot wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't think it was like the kind of schooling we went to. Probably tutor because clearly he has basic communication skills.

Wait so you unironically think goku actually has intelligence beyond fighting and physical activities? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds like a good excuse to your parents after you fail a class "its not that i didn't understand the material, i just didn't care for it" and i would argue that learning basic human customs, ettiquete and functions is pretty important since basically everyone around him including a genocidal space money and a big green man
It's fiction! It's all exaggerated for comedic effect.

Can we do away with the laugh emoticons and the constant sarcasm? If you can't be earnest, this is a fruitless conversation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:47 am

BlueVegerot wrote:

A "genocidal space money and a big green man"...what? Do what? What do they do!? Dont leave us hangin man!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:22 pm

What really grinds my gears is a thing I've noticed in this fandom (especially on this website) is how commonly people bitch and complain about the same old things that they've hated for months or even years.

Whether it be Super, GT, old stuff from Z, various dubs or the scores, the same exact conversations involving one person exclaiming how much they hate (thing), people chiming in, a few weeks later the same people say the same things. Rinse and repeat. It's nauseating at this point. I don't see why people can't talk about what they like rather than turning into everything a bashing/hate comment. Nothing new can be added to these conversations that hasn't been already talked about 1000 times in the past decade or so.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Now, I wouldn't really say that this grinds my gears, but it's something that has been bothering me. And that's the fact that in the Future Trunks Arc, it's all about time but none of the fighters were capable of surpassing time itself. The entire timeline wasn't at the brink of extinction when Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Goku Black and Zamasu were fighting, or when Vegetto Blue and Merged Zamasu were fighting. And no, I'm not counting Zeno, because the little guy can destroy anything, no one can beat him. They don't even do this until the middle of the Universe Survival Arc when Hit traps Jiren in his Time Cage and Jiren breaks out of it like nothing, and then, Vados is all like "Ooh, he surpasses time". And I'm all like "Uh, guys, you literally could've done this 48 episodes ago".
Caulifla best girl! :)

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 pm

This really grinds my gears and I might flack for this. All the annoying hate Sean Schemmel gets nowadays. I especially see this on twitter and honestly some of these are overblown and unwarranted
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 am

I think Schemmel's a fine actor but he has said and done some douchey things. In general the internet is overly quick to jump to "they're an evil bastard" but Sean is hardly innocent.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 am

That Vegeta got his new form against Jiren in a fairly anticlimactic and inconsequential way. I wish he unlocked the form against Toppo and beat him then. The scene would have been way more emotional and cohesive.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:02 am

You know what really grinds my gears?
When they use their own interpretation to justify their frustrations or enjoyment of something

For example; "it was cool to see Super Saiyan 4 animated in HD, even though GT is non-canon"

There's no need for that justifying statement. You can just say the first bit. The second bit is simply baiting for an argument.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:43 am

IF I criticize a show and someone reacts as if I insulted his or her mother grinds my gears lol

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 am

when anime fans critisize DBZ for the issues which their favorite Anime too has is beyond stupid and grinds my gears.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:55 am

Ripper 30 wrote:when anime fans critisize DBZ for the issues which their favorite Anime too has is beyond stupid and grinds my gears.
Well DB fans aren't different since they critisize GT for issues that previous series also has like Vegeta calling Goku by his name (even though it was completely out of context in GT) while he did that not only in DBZ but even original manga. Other things would be Frieza and Cell being turned into a joke even though DBZ did even worse making them lose to Pikkon in single hit or Vegeta accepting help which he did for entire DBZ and in Super as well.

There is nothing worse than retards who say that Vegeta lost his pride in GT or that real Vegeta never accept any help.
He was using fake moons, forced zenkais, fusions, Babidi's magic, time chambers, senzu beans. Those are all cheats. Vegeta never had any pride in that case.
Real Vegeta do not exist, because he has no pride in all DBZ/DBGT/DBS in that case.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:13 am

He was using fake moons, forced zenkais, fusions, Babidi's magic, time chambers, senzu beans. Those are all cheats.
I would consider Babidi's magica and senzu as the only cheats. The fake moon is a technique he created using his own power. Zenkais are due to Saiyan biology, and the Room of Spirit and Time is just a method of training. Fusions aren't a cheat, but it is him accepting help.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:56 am

Well DB fans aren't different since they critisize GT for issues that previous series also has like Vegeta calling Goku by his name (even though it was completely out of context in GT) while he did that not only in DBZ but even original manga.
You really like to make everything about GT don't you?
Other things would be Frieza and Cell being turned into a joke even though DBZ did even worse making them lose to Pikkon in single hit
Yeah this is a non canon scene and isn't actually part of the story of Dragon Ball Z. The fact of the matter is GT made these iconic characters into a joke and the original source material didn't.
Vegeta accepting help which he did for entire DBZ and in Super as well
Not even true.
He was using fake moons, forced zenkais, fusions, Babidi's magic, time chambers, senzu beans
How are any of these examples of cheats? He becomes stronger by any means necessary but he doesn't accept help.