Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:28 pm

How did they treat him like crap? Kuririn did nothing wrong and while Piccolo's teaching style might be questionable, in the end, it was the right thing. Hell, it was the only thing. I'll give you Vegeta but he's barely a member of the group.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I was half kidding.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lucky_Deity

Post by Lucky_Deity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:44 am

- Vegeta not killing Frieza in Resurrection 'F', was really hoping he would, he deserves to kill him after everything (even if Beerus did tell Frieza to destroy Plant Vegeta).
- Carrying on from my last point, Beerus being responsible for Frieza destroying Planet Vegeta, just doesn't seem right with me considering everything between Frieza and the Saiyans, maybe the movie will touch on this?
- People caring more about power levels more than the characters themselves, that's what I love most about DB, the characters.
- The original FUNimation dub for DBZ is pretty damn terrible, no matter how good people say it is, I don't hate it though but a bit hard to go back too after the Kai and Super dubs.
- We hardly ever get to play as the cast from the original DB in the main DB games anymore, come on Xenoverse, just give us Kid Goku, Mercenary Tao and King Piccolo at least.
- People who won't read / watch original Dragon Ball, like why? that's half of the original story and is better in a lot of areas than Z.
- People who hate the comedic side of Dragon Ball, especially the Dr. Slump episodes, they're some of my favourites.
- How Tien was treated in the Tournament of Power, he deserved better than that.
- How irrelevant most of the original cast are now though the Tournament of Power fixed some of that, loved Roshi's episode.
- We don't get enough spin-off series, I want a short 13 episode anime about Hit or something, there is so much potential, with how expanded the universe is now and with the huge cast of characters, why haven't they delved into this more?
- People who bash Kai, IMO, I prefer it over Z, not just for the better dub but it doesn't take forever for everything to happen, only drawback is that we miss out on the Otherworld Tournament and some other great filler episodes, like Goku and Piccolo learning to drive, that's probably my favourite filler episode from Z.
- DB Evolution existing.
- The various DB Heroes manga not getting an English release yet, still early days though, been collecting the Japanese volumes anyway and reading the fan translations online.
- The other spin-off manga not getting licensed in English, DB SD, Episode of Bardock, Resurrection 'F', etc., just want them for my collection, looking forward to the Yamcha manga getting an English release though, it was announced the day after I'd ordered the Japanese version (kept it though 'cause it's cool to own) :D
- The spin-off anime not getting an English release or dub, like Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return, I know there are licensing issues involved and all though, same with the manga.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This comic does nothing but undermine your point. The Dragon Team treated Gohan like Garbage. Why should he be worried about them. AND 16 DOESNT HAVE A SOUL. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. HE DIED FOR GOOD.

I dont really care about SSJ2 Gohan complaining or praise but I just had to say it.
How does this "undermines" my point when both me and it mock the catalyst for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation? And I believe I was quite clear about Android 16 having no soul.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm

I was half kidding, but the comic points out that (Its not true, but for this situation lets just say it is) the Dragon Team were jerks to Gohan (Sans Krillin and Yamcha, those two got hit with Guilt By Association) why should he care about the alien who tortured him with a hellish training as a child and his so called father who threw him into the lion's den. In fact that comic lets Goku go with just a slap-on-the-wrist "Fuck You" instead of the epic calling out he deserved. Your point was that "He should have gone SSJ2 with his friends in danger" while the comic went into why he SHOULDNT have. That's why it undermines your point, even if its a parody not meant to be taken seriously.

Now, I actually do like everyone and they werent really jerks. I just exaggerated for humor.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Not that it annoys me, but some people on here get really too defensive about DBS and then anyone who criticizes it is simply a "whiny, complainer" that invalids his/her opinion.

To be honest, this isn't much different than gaming fanboys.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 am

The way casual DB fans wank the abilities of the cast, even when referring to their weakest incarnations from the very beginning of the series, is super, super annoying. It doesn't feel rooted in anything except the "DUR BEE ZEE IS DUR ST0GNIZT UNIVERZEZ EVAR!" meme.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The way casual DB fans wank the abilities of the cast, even when referring to their weakest incarnations from the very beginning of the series, is super, super annoying. It doesn't feel rooted in anything except the "DUR BEE ZEE IS DUR ST0GNIZT UNIVERZEZ EVAR!" meme.
The forums over at Comic Vine even banned any VS disscusions involving Dragon Ball characters and those forums are nowhere as civil as this place and things get heated super often, just to put it into perspective.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Draconic wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The way casual DB fans wank the abilities of the cast, even when referring to their weakest incarnations from the very beginning of the series, is super, super annoying. It doesn't feel rooted in anything except the "DUR BEE ZEE IS DUR ST0GNIZT UNIVERZEZ EVAR!" meme.
The forums over at Comic Vine even banned any VS disscusions involving Dragon Ball characters and those forums are nowhere as civil as this place and things get heated super often, just to put it into perspective.
More and more I find that talking about DB outside of Kanzenshuu is just not a good idea period.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Draconic wrote:
More and more I find that talking about DB outside of Kanzenshuu is just not a good idea period.
It's not a good idea to talk about DB on Kanzenshuu either.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Draconic wrote: The forums over at Comic Vine even banned any VS disscusions involving Dragon Ball characters and those forums are nowhere as civil as this place and things get heated super often, just to put it into perspective.
Really? I found this forum incredibly fruitful. I've learned more in these past few years than the rest of my time as a fan of DB combined. The moderators do a good job of policing things as well. That's not me sucking up, but pointing the finger at forums without moderators.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: More and more I find that talking about DB outside of Kanzenshuu is just not a good idea period.
Really? I found this forum incredibly fruitful. I've learned more in these past few years than the rest of my time as a fan of DB combined. The moderators do a good job of policing things as well. That's not me sucking up, but pointing the finger at forums without moderators.
It hasn't been a good place to talk about Dragon Ball, at least not compared to what it used to be, for the last year or so. The sudden influx of very young members made it extremely difficult to hold a civil and informed conversation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It's not a good idea to talk about DB on Kanzenshuu either.
It hasn't been a good place to talk about Dragon Ball, at least not compared to what it used to be, for the last year or so. The sudden influx of very young members made it extremely difficult to hold a civil and informed conversation.
In my time here there've always been members who have misconceptions stemming from the dub. I'm just not noticing an uptick in the number.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:Really? I found this forum incredibly fruitful. I've learned more in these past few years than the rest of my time as a fan of DB combined. The moderators do a good job of policing things as well. That's not me sucking up, but pointing the finger at forums without moderators.
In my time here there've always been members who have misconceptions stemming from the dub. I'm just not noticing an uptick in the number.
I'm not talking about dub fans. I'm talking about the number of recent members here who seem to subscribe to the Youtube/4chan philosophy of shit-flinging and exhibiting incredibly defensive behavior toward a specific character or series. Those kinds of emotional "arguments" have become a trend, and I only attribute it to younger members because I've noticed that a lot of members here are 14 to 17 when clicking on their profile (sometimes younger).

Not like a good, old shit-flinging contest doesn't have its place for some good fun, but if I want that kind of "discussion," I'll go to Youtube or /a/. Kanzenshuu is increasingly being assimilated into that kind of culture.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 pm

I definitely believe the "because I said so" style of argument has been growing here over even a recent amount of time, despite not having been here too long myself. There's a definite amount more smugness to many of the posts I see as well. It kind of reminds me of how it felt going from the SEGA forums to Retro, but in reverse (except here I won't get banned for saying fuck).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 am

Doctor. wrote:Not like a good, old shit-flinging contest doesn't have its place for some good fun, but if I want that kind of "discussion," I'll go to Youtube or /a/. Kanzenshuu is increasingly being assimilated into that kind of culture.
Fair enough.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 am

Retcons. Especially the ones that happen 20+ years later.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:34 pm

How they took the good Yamamoto score for Kai and replaced it with Kikuchi. That sounds okay on paper (even though all of DBZ already exists with Kikuchi and the Yamamoto score helps distinguish Kai as more of a different show) but then they went and placed all of the tracks horribly.
How hard could it be? It’s literally based on an existing show where all of the music tracks are already placed! Except for certain cut filler scenes, most of the work is done. That one battle theme from the Cell saga is used constantly throughout the whole series, including the Saiyan saga which sounds so, so, out of place.

I’m a home video collector and I wish that somehow, some way, English dub Yamamoto Kai was finished and released. I know that’s impossible but the dub itself is so good and the music ruins it. The Yamamoto revival project is impressive, but to reburn that edited file onto a disc to be watched on a DVD player is beyond my abilities.
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 am

As much as I like TFS, it grinds my gears that some people are treating it like an official dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am

Tian wrote:As much as I like TFS, it grinds my gears that some people are treating it like an official dub.
Yes.

I can deal with people considering it better than canon or whatever. But once they start saying Funimation should release it on dvd or air it on tv I fuckin can’t.