Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I know what you're saying but the thing that just bugs me is posts like what xpNc initially said of people "going out of their way" to use the Japanese terms. Of course this is just an issue that most of the English-speaking fanbase is not aware of the fact that there is more than one set of "official" names, but also that people shouldn't try and equate "official" with "correct/accurate translation" when it comes to this specifically.
I agree 100%. What I said about there being freedom to choose which naming scheme you want to follow goes both ways -- for the dub fans and for the original Japanese version's fans. The dub fans need to understand that the story of Dragon Ball extends beyond Funimation's parameters for it and there are several different naming schemes that are perfectly valid, even if not confirmed by Funimation. And on the flip side, the fans of the original Japanese version sometimes need to be more open to the dub fans who choose to use Funimation's naming scheme. Furthermore, fans of the original Japanese version should be more open to their own version of the series and be accepting of names like "Bejita," etc. because after all, if you claim that you only go by the Japanese version, "Buruma" is just as valid as "Bulma."

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Furthermore, fans of the original Japanese version should be more open to their own version of the series and be accepting of names like "Bejita," etc. because after all, if you claim that you only go by the Japanese version, "Buruma" is just as valid as "Bulma."
(you probably didn't see my edit on the previous page, so I'm just gonna post a new thing here)
Well I see it like this, there are some names that are taken directly from English words and spelt out the same as those words would be spelt (such as Trunks, Bra, Cell) and there are names that are modified words so there's a bit more debate there (such as Bulma, pretty much all the Ginyus except for Ginyu himself, quite a few of the new characters in Super) so there's a bit of leeway on the latter but not really much on the former. So if I see someone using Torankusu (which I never actually have, I've also never seen anyone unironically use Bejita which is where I think your example falls apart a bit) I would call them out because it's just not correct for someone that speaks English, they should really just be using the name Toriyama clearly intended to be used.

I accept people using the Funi terms because they're still in use by almost all English media of course but also there are loads of people who use them even after they learn about them being inaccurate so there's no point pushing against it at that point really. It's amazing how this entire conversation (and many others like it) wouldn't even be taking place if the original dub had a better translation more in line with the Simmons subtitles.

xpNc

Post by xpNc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Deathbringer wrote: they should really just be using the name Toriyama clearly intended to be used.
If you're looking at images from the anime and the manga, especially Krillin's hat in the Namek saga, you'd think Toriyama's "clearly intended name" for Krillin was Kulilin, and not Kuririn which is particularly common on the internet. Ls and Rs are a bit ambiguous in Japanese, but here we have, straight from the artist, a preferred spelling. If you're going by this criteria, it'd be like calling Link from the Legend of Zelda "Rink".

Do you call Krillin "Kulilin"?

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm

xpNc wrote:
Deathbringer wrote: they should really just be using the name Toriyama clearly intended to be used.
If you're looking at images from the anime and the manga, especially Krillin's hat in the Namek saga, you'd think Toriyama's "clearly intended name" for Krillin was Kulilin, and not Kuririn which is particularly common on the internet. Ls and Rs are a bit ambiguous in Japanese, but here we have, straight from the artist, a preferred spelling. If you're going by this criteria, it'd be like calling Link from the Legend of Zelda "Rink".

Do you call Krillin "Kulilin"?
Kuririn is a unique example because there's not one set way to spell it in English because we aren't too sure of what Toriyama used to make the name, it's usually accepted that he formed it from "Kuri" the Japanese word for chestnut (although this is just something he apparently noticed later on and he didn't have it in mind when creating his name initially) and "Shaolin" so I myself have more than once said that a good name for him would probably be Kurilin (but no to answer your question, I don't use that name, I call him Kuririn, however I do concede that Krillin is easier to say, just rolls off the tongue easier than "Krear-in"). In the sentence where you quoted me I was talking about names like Trunks and Bra where Toriyama just used an English word without any modifications so his intended name becomes much clearer. In fact Kuririn can be romanised as Krillin, Kulilin, Kurilin, Clearin etc, but I personally wouldn't take Toriyama's spelling as the "official canon" because he doesn't actually know English, also he has used both "Kuririn" (23rd TB) and "Kulilin" (Freeza arc) so even that is a slippery slope.

And if you want to use Link from The Legend of Zelda as an example of this, then that's not the best example to back you up because that's actually what I was talking about, Link's name is the English word Link, so use that and not "Rinku", which has never been used in any Japanese Zelda media, as you can see in this video the original Japanese version of the first Zelda game had English text, even though this was a pretty badly written paragraph it still used "Link" and "Zelda" instead of Rinku and Zeruda. (https://youtu.be/Kn5ahBhrU2U?t=32)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

While I agree with you regarding names that are based on English words, I would allow leeway for that because, after all, there's no presumption that the audience knows English. Look at Piccolo. That's an English word, no doubt. But in Japanese, it's ピッコロ, which is "Pi-c-co-ro." Basically, "Picoro." You know that this is "inaccurate" because it's supposed to be an English word. Well, the Mexican dub officially translated his name to "Picoro" and basically, you can't convince someone who watches the Mexican dub that the name is incorrect. So there are instances where even though it's based on an English word, it translates to a way that doesn't resemble that English word.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:While I agree with you regarding names that are based on English words, I would allow leeway for that because, after all, there's no presumption that the audience knows English. Look at Piccolo. That's an English word, no doubt. But in Japanese, it's ピッコロ, which is "Pi-c-co-ro." Basically, "Picoro." You know that this is "inaccurate" because it's supposed to be an English word. Well, the Mexican dub officially translated his name to "Picoro" and basically, you can't convince someone who watches the Mexican dub that the name is incorrect. So there are instances where even though it's based on an English word, it translates to a way that doesn't resemble that English word.
Why do you allow leeway here? People who say "Picoro" are wrong, because like you said, it is based on an English word. Incorrect is incorrect, knowing or not knowing, popular or unpopular, etc. has nothing to do with it.
Retired.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:While I agree with you regarding names that are based on English words, I would allow leeway for that because, after all, there's no presumption that the audience knows English. Look at Piccolo. That's an English word, no doubt. But in Japanese, it's ピッコロ, which is "Pi-c-co-ro." Basically, "Picoro." You know that this is "inaccurate" because it's supposed to be an English word. Well, the Mexican dub officially translated his name to "Picoro" and basically, you can't convince someone who watches the Mexican dub that the name is incorrect. So there are instances where even though it's based on an English word, it translates to a way that doesn't resemble that English word.
I mean that probably comes under the same category of what I said about the Funimation names, and weirdly enough the Spanish word for Piccolo is in fact Piccolo so in theory it shouldn't have been that hard for them to change it but then again never underestimate an audiences attachment to familiar names. Either way I was specifically referring to English speakers in my post but I am aware there are a lot of people who have been brought up on various foreign language dubs who also know English and even post on this forum.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 pm

The spanish word for Piccolo(Small in Italian) is PEQUEÑO. Not Piccolo. Unless you are referring to the instrument which is Flautin...and I dont see anyone willing to call him that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Why do you allow leeway here? People who say "Picoro" are wrong, because like you said, it is based on an English word. Incorrect is incorrect, knowing or not knowing, popular or unpopular, etc. has nothing to do with it.
Piccolo is NOT an English word. Its ITALIAN.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The spanish word for Piccolo(Small in Italian) is PEQUEÑO. Not Piccolo. Unless you are referring to the instrument which is Flautin...and I dont see anyone willing to call him that.
Google Translate has failed me once again (or rather I have failed to use it again, I just noticed if I had clicked to translate from Italian it would have given me the right word)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Piccolo is NOT an English word. Its ITALIAN.

Loanwords don't exist! Too embarrassed to live kill me now.
Retired.

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Who else finds it kinda weird that Vegeta hates it when Cabba calls him "Vegeta sama" yet he calls himself "Vegeta sama"? What gives, Vegeta? Make up your miiind!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Snakeway Skywalker wrote:Who else finds it kinda weird that Vegeta hates it when Cabba calls him "Vegeta sama" yet he calls himself "Vegeta sama"? What gives, Vegeta? Make up your miiind!
He's Vegeta-sama, as in superior to everyone else, not Vegeta-sama, as in someone's master specifically.
Retired.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 pm

I watch the Mexican dub and I do call him Pikkoro. But I know it is incorrect.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

I dont know if this is either sarcasm or sincere.

If its sarcasm...
Loanwords dont mean you can say a word is in English when its not

If its sincere...
Dont worry. People make mistakes all the time.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

I dont know if this is either sarcasm or sincere.

If its sarcasm...
Loanwords dont mean you can say a word is in English when its not

If its sincere...
Dont worry. People make mistakes all the time.
I was just making fun of myself for letting that one get by me even though I knew it wasn't English in origin. Total brainfart.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 am

Whenever praise is thrown at Super about how it gives lesser characters a chance to shine even if its stupid as fuck as though internal consistency & utilizing the cast well are mutually exclusive things that can't go together.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Whenever praise is thrown at Super about how it gives lesser characters a chance to shine even if its stupid as fuck as though internal consistency & utilizing the cast well are mutually exclusive things that can't go together.
Yes, thank you!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:07 pm

When Vegetto is drawn or depicted with thick and or centrally placed bangs.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:22 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Whenever praise is thrown at Super about how it gives lesser characters a chance to shine even if its stupid as fuck as though internal consistency & utilizing the cast well are mutually exclusive things that can't go together.
Yes a thousand times. It's like that's not allowed to exist for some reason. Can't just put some thought into making things work.

I'll also add extreme ignorance to viewpoints, that are misunderstood and distorted from what they actually are.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!