Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Goku vs. Superman never did make any sense to me. Do Superman have resistance to Ki-based attacks? :eh:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:26 am

Tian wrote:Goku vs. Superman never did make any sense to me. Does Superman have resistance to Ki-based attacks? :eh:
Hard to say. Though, he does have a certain (if very inconsistent) threshold for taking damage.

Though, I'd say Goku SSJ2 on up, Supes would probably start taking damage. At the least. But base Goku would absolutely thrash DC Animated Universe Superman. Easily one of the weakest versions out there.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:26 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Calling eleven years old Gohan "Teen" Gohan :evil: .
Whoever adapted 11 year old Gohan as Teen Gohan should be crucified...

Nah, I'm kidding but it sounds awkward calling him Teen at that age.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

8bitdee wrote:People not understanding the anime exists solely to sell merchandise to little children (check out one of Kanzenshuu's latest podcast to see the difference in profits between broadcast licensing and merchandise licensing. It's astronomical) and thus taking things too seriously like discussing power levels and "omg why is 17 on par with goku now??!!! :x " I think the fanbase would enjoy the Dragonball series as a whole if they stopped overthinking everything.
No one is denying that toy money is where the big money is, but don't put the cart before the horse. If the show sucks, will people give a damn about the toys of that series? Fortunately in DB's case the answer is often "yes!" but in many cases, the answer is the opposite. It's understandable, why would kids buy the toys of a show they think is lame? I suggest you check out the Netflix documentary "The Toys That Made Us".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am

Tian wrote:Goku vs. Superman never did make any sense to me. Do Superman have resistance to Ki-based attacks? :eh:
I don't see why wouldn't he, Ki in Dragon Ball is just a source of power that you can brush off if you're tough enough, there's no special pre-requisites required to taking a hit other then being stronger then your attacker.

Even magic in DB which tends to break the rules can get broken if the receiving end is powerful enough to do so like how Vegeta breaks Babidi's attempts to brainwash him or how Goku breaks the Dragon Balls wish when he turns into SS4.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am

8bitdee wrote:People not understanding the anime exists solely to sell merchandise to little children (check out one of Kanzenshuu's latest podcast to see the difference in profits between broadcast licensing and merchandise licensing. It's astronomical) and thus taking things too seriously like discussing power levels and "omg why is 17 on par with goku now??!!! :x " I think the fanbase would enjoy the Dragonball series as a whole if they stopped overthinking everything.
That may be true but not in its entirety. Elfen Lied, Golden Boy, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Kill la Kill, Afro Samurai, Death Note, Desert Punk, Bluebeard (from the Grimm Masterpiece Theater), etc these are shows intended for an adult audience to watch though it may have been advertised for children too (the last one for example as the majority of that series is kid-friendly). Heck, I'd even throw 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother in there too as this was a series more suitable for mature viewers due to its content than just kids.

And a cartoon that I just remembered which was made for adults to watch — Heavy Metal 2000.

The Japanese have always understood the difference in the types of animated series/movies that exist and don't wrap their mind around "anime is for children!" sort of thing. But the rest still hold to the thought that 'anime/cartoon is for kids' because, you know, it's animated and not a live-action series or movie.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

It grinds my gears when people act like DBS is better just because it looks more modern.

(trust me, I've met a lot of people that feel this way)
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Another one is being called a weeb for saying that if Goku Black's dub voice has a british accent than it should have been wholly part of him instead of a change after going Super Saiyan Rose.

In fact, I just hate being called a weeb in general just because I like to passionately discuss anime (specifically DB). It's not like I have body pillows and posters or something.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
That may be true but not in its entirety. Elfen Lied, Golden Boy, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Kill la Kill, Afro Samurai, Death Note, Desert Punk, Bluebeard (from the Grimm Masterpiece Theater), etc these are shows intended for an adult audience to watch though it may have been advertised for children too (the last one for example as the majority of that series is kid-friendly). Heck, I'd even throw 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother in there too as this was a series more suitable for mature viewers due to its content than just kids.

And a cartoon that I just remembered which was made for adults to watch — Heavy Metal 2000.

The Japanese have always understood the difference in the types of animated series/movies that exist and don't wrap their mind around "anime is for children!" sort of thing. But the rest still hold to the thought that 'anime/cartoon is for kids' because, you know, it's animated and not a live-action series or movie.
Elfen Lied is 3edgy5u trash. Its really juvenile despite being so adult in its content. Also I really dont like your logic that because it has stuff that's seen as adult oriented it means its not for kids.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:

Elfen Lied is 3edgy5u trash. Its really juvenile despite being so adult in its content. Also I really dont like your logic that because it has stuff that's seen as adult oriented it means its not for kids.
I think it's more of a matter that stuff like Cowboy Bebop will probably have more adult fans so it's not an anime that solely exists to sell merchandise to kids... even though kids might watch it.

On that note, I honestly think that the best kids shows are ones that can also be enjoyed by adults. Like Pixar movies... or Batman: The Animated Series.

Dragon Ball fits into this category but Super in particular seems to alienate a portion of the adult fanbase by doing things that are more noticeable as flaws by them.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 am

Fans obsession with characters being muscular and their complaints when they lack said muscular body (i.e: most of the complaints with Toriyama's new art style).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Going off some stuff in the Super threads.

What really grinds my gears is whenever you say something negative about Super people come outta the woodwork to say “that’s subjective. Just your opinion.”

Like no shit! Every time someone says something they shouldn’t have to clarify that. But some automatically seem to assume “(this thing) is terrible” = saying it as a fact.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 pm

When people pronounce Caulifla as "Khalifla".
Caulifla best girl! :)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:When people pronounce Caulifla as "Khalifla".
How would you pronounce it then

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:When people pronounce Caulifla as "Khalifla".
How would you pronounce it then
"Cauliflower" with the "ower" replaced with "a".
Caulifla best girl! :)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Certain fans thinking that liking and defending something (SUPER or otherwise) makes us apologists.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Always irritates me when someone attempts to back up their opinion on things in Dragon Ball (mainly Super) or defend things by brining up their headcanon like it will somehow make their points or views more credible.

Dbzfan94 wrote:Going off some stuff in the Super threads.
What really grinds my gears is whenever you say something negative about Super people come outta the woodwork to say “that’s subjective. Just your opinion.”

Like no shit! Every time someone says something they shouldn’t have to clarify that.
Also this, but that's just a main gripe I have with forums or discussions in general lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 am

Using "plot device" as basically a pejorative.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Western Fanbase Memes.

Stuff like "Piccolo is Gohan's real dad" makes me want to tear my hair out. The "Yamcha sucks" meme is annoying too but that's also a thing in Japan.

I also hate when people say "When you get older, Vegeta's character makes more sense than Goku's character" as a way of saying that Vegeta is a better character.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Myself recently.

I mean, some time ago i was ranting about UI's new look, and now i've realized that it's not such a big deal as i felt it was before, and,after reading every single post or comment that had written about it, i feel pretty stupid to be honest.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: