Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 pm

The TFS fandom. They can be so annoying with their comments on YouTube.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 am

How in the future timeline, they keep refusing to revive the deceased characters, despite the options to do so. As discussed for years now, what the dead warriors did after they were killed by Android 17 and 18, is never elaborated upon, why Future King Kai didn't contact New Namek and asked them to use their Dragonballs is kind of a plot hole. Why Future Trunks didn't ask for New Nameks coordinates, before going back to the future, or ask Future Shin or Kibito to take him to New Namek to see if he could convince Future Dende to move Earth like his alternate self did. Or how Future Trunks and Mai don't even discuss using the Super Dragonballs to revive everybody in the timeline they move to, since they don't have the one year time limit, heck even Future Goku can be revived since the Super Dragonballs don't have any limits so his natural death means nothing.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
The gr wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The post above mine is so beautiful. More people should care about stuff like that.
I don't see the problem of the DB being collected off screen, they don't matter and it will just be Padding
The Dragon Balls don't matter.... in the show called Dragon Ball?
I should have worded myself,the reason why I think is pointless to show the gathering in let's say the cell saga is because is not that important and is not the theme of the arc, the reason why Tori show the gathering of the DB in pilaf-namek because that was the central plot point in those saga
Mostly active on discord.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Yeah, I gotta agree with TFS comments all over every DBZ video. Even the JPN only videos comments sections have been tainted.

Yamamoto getting fired grinds my gears. Japanese arrangers/composers have had plenty of history paying homage and blatantly copying others melodies, such as in the popular Final Fantasy series. If I'm understanding correctly, he infringed on a blockbuster Hollywood film piece which put him clear out on the radar, along with a plethora of other "homages". By extension, Kageyama went out the door as well. :(

I guess he should've kept those to video games and not a long-running popular series (Kai).

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 am

People saying skill doesn't matter in this series and Dragon Ball characters don't use martial arts.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Regeneration. That shit is way too overpowered in the later portions of the story, taking a lot away from the villains' skill and threating nature.

Piccolo did it fine. He uses it in short bursts, as it is very taxing to his stamina and also takes quite a bit of time to pull off.

The Saiyans, Freeza and the Androids are just powerhouses that tank everything that's thrown at them and when they do take damage it's always trough the skills and plans of their opponents, proving the worth of the heroes.

Then Cell comes along and he can just pop limbs out. He takes Vegeta's Final Flash almost in full and loses half of his freaking body, but still hands him his ass because he regenerates with no repercussion. Repeat with Goku's Kamehameha.

Buu is even worse. While Cell at least is stated to lose some power when regenerating (even though it doesn't seem to matter anyway), Buu apparently has infinite stamina and not even incinerating him works.

Then on and on, every main villain has it in some form or another. Baby, Super 17, Omega Shenron. Some henchmen too!

Getting your ass kicked by the hero at every turn, but surviving trough some hax like that is probably why no villain after Freeza really resonated as well. Winning the battle went from trying to subdue a more powerful foe trough a variety of means (skill, abillity, strategy) to just catching him with a big blast in full.

With a little more tenacity, all those later villains would have died countless of times, but as it stands, it only made both good guys and bad guys look incompetent. The former can't do the job, even though it's theirs for the taking pretty much at any time, while the latter just get their ass kicked again and again until the story calls for them to die.

I'm glad Toriyama has stayed away from this "trope" in recent times. Beerus, Hit, Black, probably Jiren, are all just powerful/skilled enough to take a beating. It's kinda there with Zamasu, but he actually is weak and relies on his immortality to keep up and nowhere does the show/manga imply otherwise. Unlike with the aforementioned characters, he is even mocked/called out on it; he's not percieved as the greatest threat, but as an annoying obstacle in defeating Black.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Buu is even worse. While Cell at least is stated to lose some power when regenerating (even though it doesn't seem to matter anyway), Buu apparently has infinite stamina and not even incinerating him works.
I'm fine with it since Buu is mystical in nature and it's not infinite. He can run out of power.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 am

So Herms posted a translated snippet on twitter https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/898710246222249984

"
Goku reveals he didn't know about Gohan or Goten's births. Vegeta: "You might not be a bad guy, but as a father, you're the worst."
"

Not really grinded...more like my gears have been weathered into submission. Goten's make sense. But was TeamFourStar right? Did Goku think Chi Chi was actually carrying cinnamon buns in her stomach for nine months? And what, one day Gohan was there at the house, and Goku paid no mind? What? Why? How? Why does Toriyama insist on ruining Goku's character? On second thought, why does Toriyama insist on ruining Chi Chi's character? Between no kissing and this, why hasn't Chi Chi left him?

Like I said, my gears haven't been grinded, because they've long since been beaten broadly to the point of submission, this is just, par the course, like everything that has been a disappointment since this revival.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:24 am

The constant attitude towards any sort of content creator that if they make something people don't like, it means they don't care about their products. Because wanting what you create to be good means it'll have no flaws, right?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:40 am

Kanassa wrote:The constant attitude towards any sort of content creator that if they make something people don't like, it means they don't care about their products. Because wanting what you create to be good means it'll have no flaws, right?
It's not limited to mere flaws. Not everyone will like the direction a story goes even if it makes sense. Some create stories in their head and when the actual story doesn't match how they would've written it, they don't like it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:40 am

Yes yes I figure someone would rush to Toriyama's defense, you'll never escape that in a fandom. However, "Things that grind your gears." is the name of the game. No point in complaining about someone's thoughts, this topic was made for them to release their thoughts. You don't have to read, and your blind fanboy or blind fangirl defense is wasted here like pearls on a pig. Ready to debate anywhere else. But don't bother writing here.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Nobody rushed into anyone's defense, they just said they dont like when people assume writers dont care about their stories when they find something they dont like in their writing. If that is enough to bother you I suggest you calm down.,
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am

"GT non canon"

Yeah because the Super anime is sooooooo much better.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:"GT non canon"

Yaaaas, it is so much better than GT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But hey, I have a huge nostalgia thing for GT and even being darker in color palletes, it looked so much better ;)
And I was all over it watching the broadcast on TV after Z with 0 information. And I always remember, how we as kids just didn't give a damn and enjoyed stuff, be it good or bad,
the major thing was, if the story and art was cool. Which shows me the contrast, how funny it is, being on message board with old people how overanalyze a TV show for kids :lol:
But it really isn't holding up when I watch it nowadays. Super screams more Toriyama for me and less generic TOEI movie feature like GT did.
GT to me is like watching a longer Z movie feature.

I don't wanna start argument, just to poke a fan and being on this message board for years, I had that feeling I should've explain myself and thus, kill the joke :(
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:"GT non canon"

I don't understand this post, what does quality have to do with being canon or not? I mean, I don't care about canon debates at all but, if someone says GT (or Super or whatever) isn't canon, he isn't necessarily saying the show is bad.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Something that bugs me is just the art style consistency throughout both the anime and manga and now more than ever in Super with the slimmed down character designs. I know it's something that can't be helped with the way art styles evolve but it just bugs me for some reason.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:02 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Something that bugs me is just the art style consistency throughout both the anime and manga and now more than ever in Super with the slimmed down character designs. I know it's something that can't be helped with the way art styles evolve but it just bugs me for some reason.
You're bothered with consistency?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Something that bugs me is just the art style consistency throughout both the anime and manga and now more than ever in Super with the slimmed down character designs. I know it's something that can't be helped with the way art styles evolve but it just bugs me for some reason.
You're bothered with consistency?
"Lack of consistency", like how goku is more slimmed down in Super compared to the buu saga. I know it's a petty thing but It still bugs me for some reason.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:50 pm

This grinds my gears
    Dyspo had no reason to act like a jerk unlike u9,he is a hero of justice not a douche,why they didn't they made like him like peter Parker just cracking one liner but also a nice guy,is not hard to write a character like that,what super can only write jerks & not likable character,he is one of the important characters & this is how they portrayed him Image
    Mostly active on discord.

Gog
    I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 pm

The gr wrote:This grinds my gears
      Dyspo had no reason to act like a jerk unlike u9,he is a hero of justice not a douche,why they didn't they made like him like peter Parker just cracking one liner but also a nice guy,is not hard to write a character like that,what super can only write jerks & not likable character,he is one of the important characters & this is how they portrayed him Image
      You can still be a jerk, and a hero. Vegeta's already that, 2 of the JoJo's are both assholes. As long as they do good, and have a heart of gold then they're pretty much a hero. Or Dyspo was portrayed as a jerk in that one exact moment to make Hit and Goku look better, and make it easier to root in the two's favor. That's another option too.