Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Also when people really overestimate how high pitched Nozawa's Goku is, I've seen it compared to Usagi from Sailor Moon of all people :crazy: . In reality the voice is much closer to a character like Luffy.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Kelamis doesn't make Goku sound like a dumb hick. There's no hick vibe in his voice at all. It just sounds dumb and gives Goku the weirdest and very unnatural rhythms to his dialog.

Goku can have a masculine sounding voice, which Schemmel has, but it's not that deep.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes that's what i hate about these hypocritical anime tards.
Comments like this grind my gears. "Anime tards." Are you a fucking 12 year old Youtube commenter?
"Anime Tard" is a bit to much, but I'd say it's hypocritical to recommend people to watch every anime subbed over good accurate dubs and then recommend DBZ dubbed instead as some kind of special exception.
Honestly who fucking cares? Let people do what they want. They're not hurting anyone. Oh wow they enjoy a dub from 2001 over a 2011 redub. They like DBZ dubbed and other shows subbed. Big whoop. It may not be accurate as Kai, but again, who cares? It's the same show. (And before you come in with "they changed so much its a different show," no, it's not. Funi Z is still Dragon Ball Z.) And if they say something that would be wrong, simply tell them. Instead of "stupid hypocritical dub fans."

This grinds my gears too.

You people (especially Ripper 30) dont shut up about dub fans and how shit the dub is. 90% if not all of his posts have been ant- Funimation dub. Do you ever have anything else to contribute???

It's beyond ad nauseam at this point and everything that could be said about the topic has been said quite literally a million times by now. Like grow up. If you hate the dub that much, watch the Japanese. Problem solved. So many sub fans talk about how much of a scourge they are to the community as if they are perfect without fault cause they watch a cartoon about aliens fighting in Japanese. It's pathetic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 pm

And before you come in with "they changed so much its a different show," no, it's not. Funi Z is still Dragon Ball Z
I will say that it is a VERY different show. Much of the feel of the show is changed. The basic characters and plot is kept but it is in fact different. I agree that there's no reason to call people who like the dub names, but it is in fact very different from Toriyama's story. Calling people retarded or any insult (unless it's really funny and clever) grinds my gears, but it also bugs me when people claim the dub is the same show as the original.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Also when people really overestimate how high pitched Nozawa's Goku is, I've seen it compared to Usagi from Sailor Moon of all people :crazy: . In reality the voice is much closer to a character like Luffy.
Majin Boo's dub voice is way High pitched than goku's.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Comments like this grind my gears. "Anime tards." Are you a fucking 12 year old Youtube commenter?
"Anime Tard" is a bit to much, but I'd say it's hypocritical to recommend people to watch every anime subbed over good accurate dubs and then recommend DBZ dubbed instead as some kind of special exception.
Honestly who fucking cares? Let people do what they want. They're not hurting anyone. Oh wow they enjoy a dub from 2001 over a 2011 redub. They like DBZ dubbed and other shows subbed. Big whoop. It may not be accurate as Kai, but again, who cares? It's the same show. (And before you come in with "they changed so much its a different show," no, it's not. Funi Z is still Dragon Ball Z.) And if they say something that would be wrong, simply tell them. Instead of "stupid hypocritical dub fans."

This grinds my gears too.

You people (especially Ripper 30) dont shut up about dub fans and how shit the dub is. 90% if not all of his posts have been ant- Funimation dub. Do you ever have anything else to contribute???

It's beyond ad nauseam at this point and everything that could be said about the topic has been said quite literally a million times by now. Like grow up. If you hate the dub that much, watch the Japanese. Problem solved. So many sub fans talk about how much of a scourge they are to the community as if they are perfect without fault cause they watch a cartoon about aliens fighting in Japanese. It's pathetic.
Completely distorting characters, adding music and dialogue where it doesn't belong, injecting "humor" where there wasn't originally, changing the music from a big operatic orchestral score that fits wuxia to HARDCORE ACSHION VIDEO GAME X-TREME, and needlessly changing names and terms, to say nothing of the terrible voice acting, that's hardly changing the show at all!

Tell me how being a fan of a show where the main character is a sophisticated, moralizing speech-giver is the same as being a fan of a show where the main character is an irresponsible, halfwit fight addict. One of these things is DBZ. Or being a fan of a show where the villain is a lusty transvestite who cracks bad puns is the same as being a fan of a show where the villain is a frightening faux-gentleman mass murderer. 

The Japanese version is the original, true version. That is a fact. When dubbies denounce it, that is fallacious. They're free to dislike it and prefer the dub, but the say that the American dub somehow is more official or holds more merit is just bogus.

Another thing which grind my gear is when dub fans of Dragon Ball try to act victim and act like sub fans shit too much on them like Dbzfan94 does most of the time when we aren't even telling fans to dislike the dub but just give JPN Version a fair chance, you may Like the dub but it's a bad dub irrespective of whether you admit it or not this is the truth. Don't worry most people still Prefer DBZ dub over Sub and Kai so your favorite version is still favourite among english speaking Fanbase.
ABED wrote:
And before you come in with "they changed so much its a different show," no, it's not. Funi Z is still Dragon Ball Z
I will say that it is a VERY different show. Much of the feel of the show is changed. The basic characters and plot is kept but it is in fact different. I agree that there's no reason to call people who like the dub names, but it is in fact very different from Toriyama's story. Calling people retarded or any insult (unless it's really funny and clever) grinds my gears, but it also bugs me when people claim the dub is the same show as the original.
It's clearly a different show in dub i don't know why some people defend it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 pm

ABED wrote:Kelamis doesn't make Goku sound like a dumb hick. There's no hick vibe in his voice at all. It just sounds dumb and gives Goku the weirdest and very unnatural rhythms to his dialog.

Goku can have a masculine sounding voice, which Schemmel has, but it's not that deep.
The issue stems from the ideal that dub has to = Japanese 100%. A dub is supposed to be an adaptation. If the voice fits and the characters are portrayed well then that is all that should matter.

What grinds me is people who don't like or watch dubbed DB yet complain about every little damn thing like it has become in their nature to have to complain about dubs or something.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:Kelamis doesn't make Goku sound like a dumb hick. There's no hick vibe in his voice at all. It just sounds dumb and gives Goku the weirdest and very unnatural rhythms to his dialog.

The issue stems from the ideal that dub has to = Japanese 100%. A dub is supposed to be an adaptation. If the voice fits and the characters are portrayed well then that is all that should matter.

What grinds me is people who don't like or watch dubbed DB yet complain about every little damn thing like it has become in their nature to have to complain about dubs or something.
First of all I just finish Kai TFC dubbed a month ago so I watch the Dub. Second, I'm not complaining about Schemmels Goku, Its as perfect as he's capable of making it and his acting is phenomenal.

We come on this site to debate and discuss, and If you can't understand that I have a little trouble with but am still able to switch between dub and sub dragon ball then I have nothing left to say. It's not any different for any other anime that has different sounding protagonists between versions like FMA or NGE.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

My point exactly. If you want to watch the Japanese, watch it. And quit whining about the dub. Some people hate no matter what the modern dub does.
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Ripper 30 wrote: Another thing which grind my gear is when dub fans of Dragon Ball try to act victim and act like sub fans shit too much on them like Dbzfan94 does most of the time when we aren't even telling fans to dislike the dub but just give JPN Version a fair chance, you may Like the dub but it's a bad dub irrespective of whether you admit it or not this is the truth. Don't worry most people still Prefer DBZ dub over Sub and Kai so your favorite version is still favourite among english speaking Fanbase.

I don't play the victim, just seeing you repeat the same 10 comments over and over and over and over is just really annoying reminds me of thatdbzguy way back when, and everyone who was around for that remembers how that ended. You're not saying that explictly, but expressing your constant distaste for the dub every chance you get certain implies it, and it makes me wonder if you honestly have anything else better to do.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

First of all I just finish Kai TFC dubbed a month ago so I watch the Dub. Second, I'm not complaining about Schemmels Goku, Its as perfect as he's capable of making it and his acting is phenomenal.

We come on this site to debate and discuss, and If you can't understand that I have a little trouble with but am still able to switch between dub and sub dragon ball then I have nothing left to say. It's not any different for any other anime that has different sounding protagonists between versions like FMA or NGE.
I wasn't directing that at you, just speaking in general terms about people who have no or low interest in dubbed DB.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:52 am

People grind my gears.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Kanassa wrote:People grind my gears.
...Could really use Beerus now to nip this in the bud :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:07 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
...Could really use Beerus now to nip this in the bud :P

...I'm tired now. Maybe later.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm

You also grind my gears.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
You also grind my gears.
That's my job. If i'm not a myopic cunt with the textur of stale toffee and rust, what am I?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Kanassa wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
You also grind my gears.
That's my job. If i'm not a myopic cunt with the textur of stale toffee and rust, what am I?
You're a nobody. Just kidding.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You also grind my gears.
But by saying that "you're" nobody, doesn't that make me a sombody? Somebody who is a nobody, but then I'm not nobody What am I?

Kanassa wrote:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Kanassa wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kanassa wrote: That's my job. If i'm not a myopic cunt with the textur of stale toffee and rust, what am I?
But by saying that "you're" nobody, doesn't that make me a sombody? Somebody who is a nobody, but then I'm not nobody What am I?
Uhhhhhhh...

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:57 pm

DB people have managed to out do themselves with the Jiren wank, apparently, because Jiren can overpower Hit's time manipulation he can will himself out of being flung into the future/past if you had him vs the Time Gem!

Jesus almighty fucking Christ do I want to strangle DBs fandom sometimes.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Getting called sexist for disliking Caulifla, Kale and/or Ribrianne.