Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 pm

It is now my goal to label and name things as engrish and cringey as I can, because that is just beautiful.

But it's only as good as the pretentious attitude that comes with it. A chill, level headed person saying these is bad, but when an arrogant man child does it, that's the art.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:05 pm

People on kanzenshuu who don't update their avatar when the picture has clearly expired/been purged. I hate looking at that half clock!
Get Fucked, C_unt

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:01 am

People who bash a character solely because they preformed better than their favourite character did. Saw this attitude quite a bit during the TOP and can't say I was a fan of it.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:15 am

I hate it when Fans of One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist shit on Dragon Ball saying "it lacks emotions because no one stays dead in the show so death has no meaning as we know they will be revived in the end and the Plot in non-existent and riddled with countless plot holes in each arc compared to the other long running Anime".
MasenkoHA wrote:Funimation DBZ dub fan boys. Look, it is totally okay if you prefer that version best because you like the Falcouner score and manly voiced Goku, and the filler and what not. And I'm not one to dismiss people's taste in things because of nostalgia. I like the Kanto saga of Pokemon anime the best for having way more cartoon violence toward its human characters and being more up front of its Japanese roots compared to the later watered down PC series ,Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is my favorite Power Rangers series for being the most fun, and I like the 80s cartoon Turtles best for being wacky and not WE'RE SO DARK AND SERIOUS like the 03 4kids Turtles. But saying the voice acting was better in the old Funimation dub is objectively wrong. To think Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel who will fully admit their performances are much better in Kai who had 10 years of voicing the characters and moving away from their bad Ocean cast impersonations roots is asinine Saying Chris Ayres Freeza is worse than Linda Young who made Freeze sound like a woman (the same people who have the problem with Goku being voiced by a woman no less!) is questionable. I can kind of understand preferring Stephanie's Gohan over Colleen's even if I think Colleen is slightly better (neither is very good if we're being honest) but that's really not enough to declare that the Z dub had better voice acting.

There seems to be a general ignorance as well. I saw one user on twitter, for example, claiming that Funimation took over from Ocean which isn't really true. They relocated the ADR work and hiring of voice actors to their in-house studio but the English dub of DBZ was ALWAYS Funimation. Every dialog and edit (admittedly somewhat imposed by Saban Entertainment) was all Funimation. I suppose Funimation's reversionism of the old episodes doesn't help. That same twitter user also claimed the original Funimation's english dub of DBZ was the best anime dub of all time which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGa-2BSFiI

lolololololololol
at this point its a broken record to them and after Super Dub has started many of the fans who were getting used to Japanese version are back to Nozawa bashing with the same illogical "Old woman shouldn't voice a mascular macho dude who is strongest in the universe" so sadly Dragon Ball franchise will always remain the only one with better Dubs than subs to most of them.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sat May 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Honestly, the phrase “it’s filler, it doesn’t count” really irritates me. If I’m talking about the anime, I tend to consider everything that appears in that media. If I’m just considering the manga, I only count the manga, etc. My arguments/thoughts on the anime vs another media might change but so long as I clarify which one I’m talking about, I don’t see why “filler” shouldn’t count.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 am

ulisa wrote:Honestly, the phrase “it’s filler, it doesn’t count” really irritates me. If I’m talking about the anime, I tend to consider everything that appears in that media. If I’m just considering the manga, I only count the manga, etc. My arguments/thoughts on the anime vs another media might change but so long as I clarify which one I’m talking about, I don’t see why “filler” shouldn’t count.
I support this completely
Get Fucked, C_unt

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I hate it when Fans of One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist shit on Dragon Ball saying "it lacks emotions because no one stays dead in the show so death has no meaning as we know they will be revived in the end and the Plot in non-existent and riddled with countless plot holes in each arc compared to the other long running Anime".
There's no way a One Piece fan makes fun of or critiques another series for lack of deaths. OP is somewhat infamous for going for cheap "death scenes" and then the guy is just fine. Other than 2 notorious exeptions, people only die (quite a lot) in flashbacks in OP.
This is the most obvious example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwFqjzU4RI

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

One thing that's been grinding my gears lately is the lack of information and recordings in particular regarding Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z's original syndicated run. Trivial, yes, but we have so many other details on the series and its broadcast that uts infurusting that there's this gap in its history. It's even more infuriating that there's very little recordings of the station it aired on in my area period during that time.

Weird, very specific thing I know, but I felt like I needed to vent about this.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri May 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:at this point its a broken record to them and after Super Dub has started many of the fans who were getting used to Japanese version are back to Nozawa bashing with the same illogical "Old woman shouldn't voice a mascular macho dude who is strongest in the universe" so sadly Dragon Ball franchise will always remain the only one with better Dubs than subs to most of them.
well these people need to understand that Nozawa IS Goku lol
what do you mean better dubs than subs? Imo the dubs are not better than the subs in DB franchise

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Ever since the Kai dub and Funimation started giving a crap, I'd say the quality of each version is about equal for me. Before Kai though, hell no lol

Although there are quite a few anime that are a lot better from the dub than sub, like Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Full Metal Alchemist, Black Lagoon etc. Dragon Ball isn't one I can label definitely as better or worse.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I hate it when Fans of One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist shit on Dragon Ball saying "it lacks emotions because no one stays dead in the show so death has no meaning as we know they will be revived in the end and the Plot in non-existent and riddled with countless plot holes in each arc compared to the other long running Anime".
MasenkoHA wrote:Funimation DBZ dub fan boys. Look, it is totally okay if you prefer that version best because you like the Falcouner score and manly voiced Goku, and the filler and what not. And I'm not one to dismiss people's taste in things because of nostalgia. I like the Kanto saga of Pokemon anime the best for having way more cartoon violence toward its human characters and being more up front of its Japanese roots compared to the later watered down PC series ,Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is my favorite Power Rangers series for being the most fun, and I like the 80s cartoon Turtles best for being wacky and not WE'RE SO DARK AND SERIOUS like the 03 4kids Turtles. But saying the voice acting was better in the old Funimation dub is objectively wrong. To think Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel who will fully admit their performances are much better in Kai who had 10 years of voicing the characters and moving away from their bad Ocean cast impersonations roots is asinine Saying Chris Ayres Freeza is worse than Linda Young who made Freeze sound like a woman (the same people who have the problem with Goku being voiced by a woman no less!) is questionable. I can kind of understand preferring Stephanie's Gohan over Colleen's even if I think Colleen is slightly better (neither is very good if we're being honest) but that's really not enough to declare that the Z dub had better voice acting.

There seems to be a general ignorance as well. I saw one user on twitter, for example, claiming that Funimation took over from Ocean which isn't really true. They relocated the ADR work and hiring of voice actors to their in-house studio but the English dub of DBZ was ALWAYS Funimation. Every dialog and edit (admittedly somewhat imposed by Saban Entertainment) was all Funimation. I suppose Funimation's reversionism of the old episodes doesn't help. That same twitter user also claimed the original Funimation's english dub of DBZ was the best anime dub of all time which:

lolololololololol
at this point its a broken record to them and after Super Dub has started many of the fans who were getting used to Japanese version are back to Nozawa bashing with the same illogical "Old woman shouldn't voice a mascular macho dude who is strongest in the universe" so sadly Dragon Ball franchise will always remain the only one with better Dubs than subs to most of them.
People complaining about dub fans like a broken record are more annoying than those comments tbh.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

lolololololololol
People complaining about dub fans like a broken record are more annoying than those comments tbh.
they deserve it tbh, seeing how they are back to their hypocritical ways of "Goku is a man and should be voiced by one, Sean makes Goku sound better than granny" from "i am liking the Japanese voice". it doesn't make sense.

emi_b7 wrote:
There's no way a One Piece fan makes fun of or critiques another series for lack of deaths. OP is somewhat infamous for going for cheap "death scenes" and then the guy is just fine. Other than 2 notorious exeptions, people only die (quite a lot) in flashbacks in OP.
This is the most obvious example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwFqjzU4RI
yea that was unnecessary, he was better as dead.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm

I've prob beaten this to death over the year but i come here to vent so whatever.

Dragon Ball just feels like the black sheep among fans that are otherwise purists of anime and JPN games. It's considered the norm to prefer the JPN cast by default with there smooth deep voiced males and cute sexy voice females. When I say I'm an anime fan and put on attack on titan dubbed id get angry strange looks, but if I say I'm a Dragon Ball fan and put Z on in Japanese with kikuchi on I'll get wierd looks by the majority. My point being its considered the norm to default to dub for anything Dragon Ball but i'll get some shit for watching Naruto dubbed.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am

DragonBallKing wrote:I've prob beaten this to death over the year but i come here to vent so whatever.

Dragon Ball just feels like the black sheep among fans that are otherwise purists of anime and JPN games. It's considered the norm to prefer the JPN cast by default with there smooth deep voiced males and cute sexy voice females. When I say I'm an anime fan and put on attack on titan dubbed id get angry strange looks, but if I say I'm a Dragon Ball fan and put Z on in Japanese with kikuchi on I'll get wierd looks by the majority. My point being its considered the norm to default to dub for anything Dragon Ball but i'll get some shit for watching Naruto dubbed.
yea this thing pisses me of too how they make fun of Naruto, One Piece and Bleach dubs and then call DBZ's dub the best. really hypocritical logic they have.

also these types of fans are the first one to call you a weeb if you critic Sean or Faulconer while still watching their shows in sub and then start playing victim as if the ones who don't like Z dub are hating the entire dubbing industry and defend dbz dub by saying things like "they have to change the script for matching the lip flaps" as if that's the main issue.

sadly even in 2030, DBZ dub will make it to the top 3 list of best dubbed anime.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Well for One Piece the reasoning tends to be that they think it's still dubbed for 4kids, but I think the issue is just that there are double standards based in nostalgia for every anime. I also still see people say Yu Yu Hakusho has the best dub ever, and while it's certainly passable and better than original Z by a landslide, it's not any better than like 80% of modern dubs. The last dub I even remember disliking in the last few years was Berserk 2016, and that's just because the dubbers didn't care any more than the people who produced that pile of crap.

I saw a video a while back where a guy went around asking Japanese people on the street whether they thought the JP dubs of certain American cartoons were better than the original English, and a good portion of them said Japanese "flows better" and "sounds more natural" the same as what you hear from elitist anime fans (which is not to shit on the language, just that the opinion of dubbed vs subbed is as subjective and diverse in opinion everywhere else as it is here).

They did say English was better for South Park, though, so take that to mean what you will.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 pm

I can't stand watching this series dubbed whatever the dub so please give me some subs or I'll lose my scrub lol

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon May 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Everytime someone says that Yu Yu Hakusho's dub is great, I immediately think of Sabat's Kuwabara and think: "Nope". The dub is far more tolerable than the pre-Kai Funimation dubs of Dragon Ball, but much like with ABED, it bothers me that Funimation had to make Yusuke more of a badass than he already was. A lot of people say that Justin Cook fits Yusuke more than Nozomu Sasaki because he sounds more like a punk, but honestly, I prefer Sasaki in the part. Cook sometimes tries too hard.

I'll also give credit to Huber's Hiei, Robertson's Yoma, Clarke's Toguro and Burgmeier's Kurama (even though I find Ogata's voice more pleasing on the ears). Hell, Linda Young made for a better Genkai than Frieza.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:The dub is far more tolerable than the pre-Kai Funimation dubs of Dragon Ball, but much like with ABED, it bothers me that Funimation had to make Yusuke more of a badass than he already was. A lot of people say that Justin Cook fits Yusuke more than Nozomu Sasaki because he sounds more like a punk, but honestly, I prefer Sasaki in the part. Cook sometimes tries too hard.
This is pretty much the Hakusho dub in a nutshell. Just standard early-FUNimation fare, where they recreate the original series into something they think will fit American audiences' tastes. If a plot point or piece of characterization is too subtle, they just hammer down on it to make sure viewers get it. Or they try and push the boundaries with the dialogue and humor etc. It ends up being a remake similar to Funi's DBZ, only more competently produced. It's not really fair to compare it to the original, imo.

I feel like it might be the kind of dub that's entertaining for viewers to check out *after* they've seen the original, maybe.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am

"Beerus isn't a villain. It's his job. He does it for the balance of the universe." Yeah, having a job does not actually disqualify or justify the genocide of thousands of innocent lives. Even more ridiculous when its is only done by whim.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:06 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:I can't stand watching this series dubbed whatever the dub so please give me some subs or I'll lose my scrub lol
I'm the opposite. I've grown used to the Japanese voices thanks to Super but if I have the choice i'll take the dub every time.