Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:02 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:I honestly think the dub would be mostly fine as far as voicing were it not for Schemmel and Sabat...that's absolute sacrilege among dub fans though.

I think Goku in english is sorta hard to nail down in general. Not one english voice really seems to "get" the character - Schemmel has gotten much better over the the years (the Kai episode the other day where he bargains old the Old Kaioshin was pretty good I thought) but he still doesn't do it for me, particularly his "serious" Goku. His Kaio is rotten though and always has been.

Sabat's Vegeta just sounds...like a strained cartoon character. I feel like he's in incredible pain whenever he voices the character. Not a big fan of his Piccolo either - it's still too deep and "monstrous" sounding, and I hear Vegeta in the voices lots of times. For what it's worth, his Yamcha is pretty good.
It is a cartoon and Piccolo was introduced as a demon. What's wrong with Piccolo sounding deep?

Wow, to some, his Piccolo is not monsterous or demon-y enough and for some it's too deep and monstrous.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Sometimes I feel that the people who dislike both Scott and Sabat as Piccolo want Piccolo to sound like a normal guy which wouldn't really fit.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Mcneil's Piccolo is actually good tho

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Mcneil's Piccolo is actually good tho
it is.
ABED wrote:
as Tenshinhan, he doesn't really leave much of an impression on me.
Funny, because I feel the same way as the original JPN voice for Tenshinhan. I know people on this forum love it, but it just sounds like a generic deep Japanese voice. The acting is fine, but doesn't leave much of an impression beyond that.
I think Hirotoki Suzuoki's Tenshinhan was very well acted and badass yet natural. He captured everything that Tenshinhan was about. John Burgmeier's Tenshinhan sounds scratchy and too tensed even in normal situations.
It's not. I'm not sure what you are hearing, but that accent was gone over a decade and a half ago.
Sabat's more or less using his natural voice
to me his current Yamcha is a slightly refined version of his older yamcha that's it, its not charming. As far as using natural voice is corncerned, Toru has voiced Amuro Ray and all those kinds of younger characters so his voice naturally lends itself to those type of character whereas Sabat voice is deep and its much MORE fitting for middle aged buffed up man Like Armstrong and Almight not Yamcha and it sounds even more forced when he starts using his natural Voice for him.
Why does it matter if he uses the same voice for a different series? And why does it matter if he's just using his voice but pitched down? It fits the character. Like I said, you can tell Vegeta and Piccolo are voiced by the same actor, but the voices for those characters are distinct.
While grinding my gears is a little doesn't exactly describe my feeling, it does at least bug me when people complain about actors using the same voice for two different shows.
My problem is less about actors using the same voice for two different shows but more with Sabat's Piccolo sounding similar to his vegeta even more in newer dubs, if they were related then it would have been no problem but they aren't that's the problem they should not Sound similar.
TheBigBoy wrote: I think Goku in english is sorta hard to nail down in general. Not one english voice really seems to "get" the character - Schemmel has gotten much better over the the years (the Kai episode the other day where he bargains old the Old Kaioshin was pretty good I thought) but he still doesn't do it for me, particularly his "serious" Goku. His Kaio is rotten though and always has been.
Sabat's Vegeta just sounds...like a strained cartoon character. I feel like he's in incredible pain whenever he voices the character. Not a big fan of his Piccolo either - it's still too deep and "monstrous" sounding, and I hear Vegeta in the voices lots of times. For what it's worth, his Yamcha is pretty good.
Yes nowdays he has a habit of making Gokū sound overly angry and Gruff and i know it sounds Macho and Badass but it doesn't really Sound like Gokū to me when he makes him sound that gruff. As far as Sabat is concerned, his voice for vegeta sounds Angry most of the time even if he is not supposed to sound that way at that particular moment and i also have the same issue with his Piccolo and vegeta sounding similar too. I have stated my opinion on his Yamcha.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:09 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: I think Goku in english is sorta hard to nail down in general. Not one english voice really seems to "get" the character - Schemmel has gotten much better over the the years (the Kai episode the other day where he bargains old the Old Kaioshin was pretty good I thought) but he still doesn't do it for me, particularly his "serious" Goku. His Kaio is rotten though and always has been.
Ripper30 wrote: Yes nowdays he has a habit of making Gokū sound overly angry and Gruff and i know it sounds Macho and Badass but it doesn't really Sound like Gokū to me when he makes him sound that gruff. As far as Sabat is concerned, his voice for vegeta sounds Angry most of the time even if he is not supposed to sound that way at that particular moment and i also have the same issue with his Piccolo and vegeta sounding similar too. I have stated my opinion on his Yamcha.
My thoughts on Schemmel now are pretty much the same, he nails normal and goofy Goku now voice-wise and while his yelling/serious Goku sounds cool and badass It's not very fitting for how I currently imagine Goku in English. When I watched the Dubbed version of the Kaioken Blue scene the other day Schemmels super manly screams caught me off guard.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, I don't know what to tell ya, but I disagree with all those reasons for one thing or another.
When I watched the Dubbed version of the Kaioken Blue scene the other day Schemmels super manly screams caught me off guard.
Where did this idea that Goku can't sound manly come from? I think the idea that GOku is a manchild is being taken a little too far when implying he can never sound manly, even in the heat of battle. That's a view that bugs me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 pm

So is Sabat's.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm

ABED wrote:Well, I don't know what to tell ya, but I disagree with all those reasons for one thing or another.
When I watched the Dubbed version of the Kaioken Blue scene the other day Schemmels super manly screams caught me off guard.
Where did this idea that Goku can't sound manly come from? I think the idea that GOku is a manchild is being taken a little too far when implying he can never sound manly, even in the heat of battle. That's a view that bugs me.
Yeah I agree with this 100%. People are such fans of Nozawa that it's like they forget Goku is in fact a man.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
So is Sabat's.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
So is Sabat's.
The performance is fine. I don't know what you are looking for out of a voice for Piccolo. He was introduced as a monster and why can't his voice be deep?
Last edited by ABED on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Who cares, Furukawa is still the best Piccolo of all time.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Who cares, Furukawa is still the best Piccolo of all time.
Someone being the best doesn't mean another actor isn't good.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Who cares, Furukawa is still the best Piccolo of all time.
Someone being the best doesn't mean another actor isn't good.
Internet logic demands it be so, though.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:42 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
So is Sabat's.
Responding with a meme isn't really an appropriate way to respond and you come off as a mere troll.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:Well, I don't know what to tell ya, but I disagree with all those reasons for one thing or another.
Yeah I agree with this 100%. People are such fans of Nozawa that it's like they forget Goku is in fact a man.
I'm not saying Goku can't be voiced by a man, Peter Kelamis is a man but his Goku sounds more like Manchild even while angry or doing screams, while Schemmels Goku always sounds like a gruff manly biker when he's angry.

Once again I like both Nozawa and Schemmel but lean a bit more to Nozawa nowadays. I just have a problem adjusting between a few dub voices that are still very different from their Japanese counterpart like Kaio, Boo, and Goku. For shows like Bleach and My Hero Achedemia I don't have this switching issue and can flip back and forth between Japanese and English because there is no huge difference in casting choice (except for maybe Hitsugaiya).

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
So is Sabat's.
Responding with a meme isn't really an appropriate way to respond and you come off as a mere troll.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:31 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

I'm not saying Goku can't be voiced by a man, Peter Kelamis is a man but his Goku sounds more like Manchild even while angry or doing screams, while Schemmels Goku always sounds like a gruff manly biker when he's angry.

Once again I like both Nozawa and Schemmel but lean a bit more to Nozawa nowadays. I just have a problem adjusting between a few dub voices that are still very different from their Japanese counterpart like Kaio, Boo, and Goku. For shows like Bleach and My Hero Achedemia I don't have this switching issue and can flip back and forth between Japanese and English because there is no huge difference in casting choice (except for maybe Hitsugaiya).
A gruff manly biker? That's how I'd describe Sabat's Vegeta before Kai.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:37 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:
Keep proving my point, I see.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Kelamis just has a high pitched voice. Manchild is about temperament, not pitch. Kelamis has great screams, but is otherwise terrible as Goku. You can sound manly in certain contexts and still be a manchild in others without being a contradiction.

The Japanese voices are the originals, but they aren't the only valid choice.
Last edited by ABED on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 pm

ABED wrote:

Kelamis just has a high pitched voice. Manchild is about temperament, not pitch. Kelamis has great screams, but is otherwise terrible as Goku. You can sound manly in certain contexts and still be a manchild in others without being a contradiction.

The Japanese voices are the originals, but they aren't the only valid choice.
Fair enough, I'm just saying it's a little jarring for me to switch back and forth for Dragon Ball because I have to completely change the way I expect Goku to sound in fights.

That's all I'm going to say about this.