Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm

people shitting on Dragon Ball as a whole for being simplistic
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Certain fans not accepting that anything and everything Dragon Ball anime related, be it old and new (specially for certain fanboys of the old stuff that demonize the new stuff) was made with the intention of merchandise, Money and cash grab. Get that idealized naive wishful fantasy of the contrary out, it was never like that.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:people shitting on Dragon Ball as a whole for being simplistic
That is so fustrating
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Vegeta's hairline grinds my gears.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Vegeta's hairline grinds my gears.
Say that to my face
Get Fucked, C_unt

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Say that to my face
:lol:

I kid, I kid. On the subject of hair though, I wonder what kind of product he and Goku use to keep it sticking up like that. :think:

Also, because of your avatar, I pictured Vegeta saying that as he crushed the scouter. “Say that to my FACE!”
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 am

GamerSkull wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Say that to my face
:lol:

I kid, I kid. On the subject of hair though, I wonder what kind of product he and Goku use to keep it sticking up like that. :think:

Also, because of your avatar, I pictured Vegeta saying that as he crushed the scouter. “Say that to my FACE!”
Saiyan genetics pal, no product needed 8)
Get Fucked, C_unt

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am

Goku stealing what was supposed to be Gohan's new ascended form in the realms of the angels. Toriyama is just an old hack that doesn't know how to utilize characters with dignity and doesn't have an iota of a brain cell to think of finally passing the mantle to our lord and savior, Gohan Blanco.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:Goku stealing what was supposed to be Gohan's new ascended form in the realms of the angels. Toriyama is just an old hack that doesn't know how to utilize characters with dignity and doesn't have an iota of a brain cell to think of finally passing the mantle to our lord and savior, Gohan Blanco.
We can still hope for Gohan Calvo at least
Get Fucked, C_unt

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

When people overeact when their favorite character didn't get much screentime.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:Goku stealing what was supposed to be Gohan's new ascended form in the realms of the angels. Toriyama is just an old hack that doesn't know how to utilize characters with dignity and doesn't have an iota of a brain cell to think of finally passing the mantle to our lord and savior, Gohan Blanco.
This cant be for real? Are you for real? Is he for real!?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
No is just a joke,are you not aware of the Gohan blanco meme.
    Mostly active on discord.

GamerSkull
    Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Some of the information that Toriyama reveals in new interviews...

In fact, I disregard them entirely.
    "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Cure Dragon 255
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 pm

The gr wrote:
    Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
    No is just a joke,are you not aware of the Gohan blanco meme.
      I am. I'm super glad if he is kidding. Because if he was serious it would be sad. SO VERY SAD.
      Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
      90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Alruneia
      I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Some of the information that Toriyama reveals in new interviews...

Well, Death of the Author. If something isn't in the original work, then it isn't in the original work, even if the author is the one to later state it. What you're doing here is perfectly fine; you don't have to take those interviews as fact. A good example nowadays is the stuff J.K. Rowling comes out with about her Harry Potter characters. People ignore that all the time.
      Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
      JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
      Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

GamerSkull
      Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Alruneia wrote:
      GamerSkull wrote:Some of the information that Toriyama reveals in new interviews...

Well, Death of the Author. If something isn't in the original work, then it isn't in the original work, even if the author is the one to later state it. What you're doing here is perfectly fine; you don't have to take those interviews as fact. A good example nowadays is the stuff J.K. Rowling comes out with about her Harry Potter characters. People ignore that all the time.
      Yup. Basically. Yeah, I know about the J.K. Rowling stuff too. I think she in particular takes things even farther than Toriyama has.
      "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
      I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 am

Just in case any of you misunderstant it;

What Death of The Author is:
      1. Disregarding the author's words on how their work subtext and meaning should be interpreted/read, and taking the author's own reading and interpretation as just another possible reading/interpretation, not the ultimate and only possible one.
      2. Author's background, culture, political views, historic contexto, etc, should not be taken into account when reading and/or interpreting their work.

What Death of The Author is NOT:
      1. Absence of canon for a work's events.
      2. Absence of canon for a work's trivia pieces (this being the most common misuse by fans that dislike any kind of new trivia introduced by the author in their work)
      Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

GamerSkull
      Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Just in case any of you misunderstant it;

What Death of The Author is:
      1. Disregarding the author's words on how their work subtext and meaning should be interpreted/read, and taking the author's own reading and interpretation as just another possible reading/interpretation, not the ultimate and only possible one.
      2. Author's background, culture, political views, historic contexto, etc, should not be taken into account when reading and/or interpreting their work.

What Death of The Author is NOT:
      1. Absence of canon for a work's events.
      2. Absence of canon for a work's trivia pieces (this being the most common misuse by fans that dislike any kind of new trivia introduced by the author in their work)
      Yeah, I guess the very first one is what I basically do. I discount anything Toriyama might say in his interviews if it's absent from the main work.

I still think there's a fine line when it comes to trivia though. There are cases when an author's trivia doesn't make as much sense within the context of the story. Also, certain trivia changes the way a character is seen when you go back to re-read the work... and I don't think that's a good thing necessarily.
      "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
      Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Unless that trivia is somehow implied within the work but overlooked, you can easily disregard it.
      The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
      "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
      Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

ABED wrote:Unless that trivia is somehow implied within the work but overlooked, you can easily disregard it.
      Exactly. Random trivia that was made up 20 years later doesn’t have to accepted.