Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I like the dub but I would have preferred someone else for Eren.
Yes that voice could have been better though Levi dub voice was cool
I've been thinking that the guy who voiced Armin would have suited Eren better than Papenbrook. For Armin, they should have gotten a girl to voice him.
Due to him being voiced by a woman in Japanese?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes that voice could have been better though Levi dub voice was cool
I've been thinking that the guy who voiced Armin would have suited Eren better than Papenbrook. For Armin, they should have gotten a girl to voice him.
Well, yeah. Given that Marina Inoue did a great job in Japanese, I don't see why a girl couldn't work for Armin in English.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:33 pm

When people say that Furukawa sounds like a regular guy as Piccolo. Nothing about Furukawa's Piccolo screams regular guy, at least to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 pm

When people bring their political opinions into a forum discussing dragon ball.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:54 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:When people bring politics into a forum discussing dragon ball.

Not our fault that Goku wanted Obama elected for a third term.... Knowing full well that Amendment 22, passed by Congress on March 21st, 1947 prevented any president to serve more than two terms(10 year max)
El Conejo Malo

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:I still see some people insist on calling it SSGSS, and it makes my brain cry out in pain every time I see it.
This is still what it's called, written as, and referred to in every official merchandise and production capacity other than in-show/comic dialog.
But why? This is one thing that I just can not and do not understand. The anime and the manga have replaced the outdated "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" term with "Super Saiyan Blue" and they've done so for two years now. I can't even remember the last time Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan was used in the anime/manga. So why then, if both anime and manga are calling it Super Saiyan Blue or SSB, does the merchandise and video games STILL call it Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan or SSGSS?

It doesn't matter if it's the "official" name for the form, it was abandoned long ago for the much more sensical, better looking, and easier to pronounce "Super Saiyan Blue". This issue grinds my gears like no other because I absolutely hate the term SSGSS and it's so confounding to me that none of the merchandise or video games are using the "new" term (it's been 2 years already, it's not even new anymore) of SSB.

What sense does it make that every character in the show/comic refers to the form as Super Saiyan Blue, but outside the show it's called by a different name?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I've been thinking that the guy who voiced Armin would have suited Eren better than Papenbrook. For Armin, they should have gotten a girl to voice him.
Well, yeah. Given that Marina Inoue did a great job in Japanese, I don't see why a girl couldn't work for Armin in English.
If For Naruto they can do it then why not Armin.
8000 Saiyan wrote:When people say that Furukawa sounds like a regular guy as Piccolo. Nothing about Furukawa's Piccolo screams regular guy, at least to me.
Agreed, he has got such a unique and Sinister voice for Picoolo. If anything then it's Sabat's Voice which literally sounds like his normal speaking voice.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Due to him being voiced by a woman in Japanese?
I've said it before Maxey Whitehead should have been Armin and Grelle should have been Eren, Papenbrooks not even in Funimation dubs normally and only got the role because he's apparently a big fan of the show.
8000 Saiyan wrote:When people say that Furukawa sounds like a regular guy as Piccolo. Nothing about Furukawa's Piccolo screams regular guy, at least to me.
Agreed, he has got such a unique and Sinister voice for Picoolo. If anything then it's Sabat's Voice which literally sounds like his normal speaking voice.[/quote]

Anyone who thinks Furukawa sounds normal, should listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_SRbcYjtyg
His power ups sound really alien and demonic

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Due to him being voiced by a woman in Japanese?
Agreed, he has got such a unique and Sinister voice for Picoolo. If anything then it's Sabat's Voice which literally sounds like his normal speaking voice.
Yeah, I agree. Don't understand why people say that Sabat sounds closer to Furukawa's take. If anything McNeil sounds closer.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:21 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Well, yeah. Given that Marina Inoue did a great job in Japanese, I don't see why a girl couldn't work for Armin in English.
Yeah, I agree. Don't understand why people say that Sabat sounds closer to Furukawa's take. If anything McNeil sounds closer.
I would rather take McNeil's take over Sabat's.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 am

Apparently Super Saiyan forms are more powerful now depending on what you transform into them from? Blue is weaker if you turn into it from God but it's more powerful if you do it from the godly Base!

Can Super go the fuck away please so more of this kind of "fact making" goes along with it?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:47 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Apparently Super Saiyan forms are more powerful now depending on what you transform into them from? Blue is weaker if you turn into it from God but it's more powerful if you do it from the godly Base!

Can Super go the fuck away please so more of this kind of "fact making" goes along with it?
Where does this come from?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Apparently Super Saiyan forms are more powerful now depending on what you transform into them from? Blue is weaker if you turn into it from God but it's more powerful if you do it from the godly Base!

Various users on dbzf.com trying to make sense of the scaling by saying that Goku's pre-Jiren fight Blue is weaker because he isn't transforming into it from his "God Base" but rather from regular Base or SS or God because arbitrary reasons. Oh and SS2s stronger then 3 because Goku doesn't use 3 during the try out portion of his Jiren fight.

Like 99% of Super strength explanations, there's no evidence or facts or any consistency, just a case by case basis of every fight where mechanics shift around just to explain bad scalling
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 am

Certain fans (and users of this forum) using "merchandise" as an scapegoat to explaining why DBS lacks quality in certain areas, it's becoming absolute BS and obnoxious at this point.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 am

The word "epic" being used to described the Faulconer soundtrack...or any part of the series really. Or being used in general.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Various users on dbzf.com trying to make sense of the scaling by saying that Goku's pre-Jiren fight Blue is weaker because he isn't transforming into it from his "God Base" but rather from regular Base or SS or God because arbitrary reasons. Oh and SS2s stronger then 3 because Goku doesn't use 3 during the try out portion of his Jiren fight.

Like 99% of Super strength explanations, there's no evidence or facts or any consistency, just a case by case basis of every fight where mechanics shift around just to explain bad scalling
Well, that's not Super's fault. That's just moronic users from dbzf's fault.

Super's fault is having bad powerscalling, not bad explanations. It can't have bad explanations because it provides none.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:17 am

TheBigBoy wrote:The word "epic" being used to described the Faulconer soundtrack...or any part of the series really. Or being used in general.
Well I would consider Dragon Ball epic and it doesn't need the Faulconer score to be epic , and while I'm not a fan of the soundtrack as a whole I would still consider this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pMQv46vz4 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVtQDVrNns epic as far as replacement scores go

Just because you associate the word epic with being used by typical "hardcore DBZ fans" :roll: doesn't mean the Japanese version can't be epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDDPZblrJE that gives me chills.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Where does this come from?

Super's fault is having bad powerscalling, not bad explanations. It can't have bad explanations because it provides none.
Super's bad scaling and lack of explanations, however, leaves the door open for people to make up any random shit they want then pass it off as real information that's "clearly" conveyed in the material.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:The word "epic" being used to described the Faulconer soundtrack...or any part of the series really. Or being used in general.
Well I would consider Dragon Ball epic and it doesn't need the Faulconer score to be epic , and while I'm not a fan of the soundtrack as a whole I would still consider this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pMQv46vz4 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVtQDVrNns epic as far as replacement scores go

Just because you associate the word epic with being used by typical "hardcore DBZ fans" :roll: doesn't mean the Japanese version can't be epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDDPZblrJE that gives me chills.
shut the fuck up
Last edited by Ajay on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note: temporary ban issued for this post.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Various users on dbzf.com trying to make sense of the scaling by saying that Goku's pre-Jiren fight Blue is weaker because he isn't transforming into it from his "God Base" but rather from regular Base or SS or God because arbitrary reasons. Oh and SS2s stronger then 3 because Goku doesn't use 3 during the try out portion of his Jiren fight.

Super's bad scaling and lack of explanations, however, leaves the door open for people to make up any random shit they want then pass it off as real information that's "clearly" conveyed in the material.
Sounds a lot like Z