Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 pm

"Insert angry the Japanese Original Version IS NOT A DUB comment here."
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Forte224 wrote:That's not a woman's voice coming out of him. People apparently don't know what women sound like
I'm assume you're talking about a different dub, because the japanese dub Goku is voiced by a woman. Which is the dub that people say he sounds like an old grandma in.

And Ii don't know what Kikuchi is, but searching it up on google come sup with the Funi dub, which no one mistakes Goku's voice for a woman in.
Kikuchi's compositions are a part of the original Dragon Ball adaption and the reworked Dragon Ball Kai refreshment. More to the point, Nozawa's portrayal of Goku does not mimic the typical characteristics of a Japanese woman. I believe the sentiment Forte224 reached for is that many will conclude Goku sounds like a woman due to the voice actor's gender while disregarding the performance itself (which, in the fair share of Japanese media I've consumed, sounds unlike a typical female character's voice, if at all).

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Forte224 wrote:That's not a woman's voice coming out of him. People apparently don't know what women sound like
I'm assume you're talking about a different dub, because the japanese dub Goku is voiced by a woman. Which is the dub that people say he sounds like an old grandma in.

And Ii don't know what Kikuchi is, but searching it up on google come sup with the Funi dub, which no one mistakes Goku's voice for a woman in.
Kikuchi's compositions are a part of the original Dragon Ball adaption and the reworked Dragon Ball Kai refreshment. More to the point, Nozawa's portrayal of Goku does not mimic the typical characteristics of a Japanese woman. I believe the sentiment Forte224 reached for is that many will conclude Goku sounds like a woman due to the voice actor's gender while disregarding the performance itself (which, in the fair share of Japanese media I've consumed, sounds unlike a typical female character's voice, if at all).
Exactly this, thank you! I worded my post poorly, apologies

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:"Insert angry the Japanese Original Version IS NOT A DUB comment here."
Ha I don't like this either.

Another grind my gears thing is self proclaimed "hardcore DB fans" even though they only acknowledge Z and know very little about the franchise. I have a friend that only accepts OG Funi+Faulconer, but he acts like he's a well of Dragon Ball information. One example is he insisted that from BoG foward, the Fumination dub actors have been trying to mimic the Ocean dub actors. He had it so backwards I was speechless for a bit

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm

What do you mean by that? Do you agree or disagree. Not that I mind but I'm curious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What do you mean by that? Do you agree or disagree. Not that I mind but I'm curious.
It grinds my gears when people say Japanese Z isn't a dub. A dub is a voiceover. A Japanese live action movie isn't a dub because the characters on screen are using their real voices. It becomes a dub when someone voices over it. Z characters don't have real voices because they're fictional characters, therefore any voice they have whatsoever, including Japanese, is a dub. I assume we're on the same page though

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:As much as I love Super, it still grinds the hell outta my gears:

1. Goku can apparently convince Dende, a child to stay away from not just his family but his entire planet, not just for a few days but pretty much forever. And he does that quite easily too. But he can't convince Tenshinhan to leave his dojo for less than an hour. Tenshinhan himself says that he'd only participate in the tournament because he needed the money to repair the village and not because Goku convinced him. What gives?
I'm not sure if I remember correctly but, Dende didn't need much convincing. Goku basically showed up asking for a new guardian and Dende volunteered, didn't he? In fact didn't the namikeans have to convince Goku that he could even do the job?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote:As much as I love Super, it still grinds the hell outta my gears:

1. Goku can apparently convince Dende, a child to stay away from not just his family but his entire planet, not just for a few days but pretty much forever. And he does that quite easily too. But he can't convince Tenshinhan to leave his dojo for less than an hour. Tenshinhan himself says that he'd only participate in the tournament because he needed the money to repair the village and not because Goku convinced him. What gives?
I'm not sure if I remember correctly but, Dende didn't need much convincing. Goku basically showed up asking for a new guardian and Dende volunteered, didn't he? In fact didn't the namikeans have to convince Goku that he could even do the job?
In fact, Dende had apparently wanted to go to Earth for quite a while.
Retired.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: In fact, Dende had apparently wanted to go to Earth for quite a while.
Well, if I had to choose between plowing the field or being the god of a planet, I think my answer would be a given.
Last edited by Majin Jator on Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Majin Jator wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: In fact, Dende had apparently wanted to go to Earth for quite a while.
Well, if I had to choose between plowing the field or being the god of a planet, I think my answer will be a given.
Exactly! Plowing the field is way better. God just seems lonely and boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What do you mean by that? Do you agree or disagree. Not that I mind but I'm curious.
It grinds my gears when people say Japanese Z isn't a dub. A dub is a voiceover. A Japanese live action movie isn't a dub because the characters on screen are using their real voices. It becomes a dub when someone voices over it. Z characters don't have real voices because they're fictional characters, therefore any voice they have whatsoever, including Japanese, is a dub. I assume we're on the same page though
Well, I respectfully disagree but I do apreciate the sympathy and respect.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Kanassa wrote:

Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman too. He doesn't sound like a woman does he?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Well, I respectfully disagree but I do apreciate the sympathy and respect.
Mind explaining further? I'm just curious too

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 pm

See, where I come from dubbing means replacing the original track with a new one, that's why its called dubbing or doblaje in Spanish where I come from. I dont consider the original Voice Actors to be dubbing if they are the original production. So if say Frozen or Zootopia or Gravity Falls were to be dubbed into Japanese THEN it would be dubbing. But we just have different notions of what constitutes dubbing so its only natural to disagree. No hard feelings here.

Also I doubt anyone called Batman The Animated Series a dub. LOL.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:See, where I come from dubbing means replacing the original track with a new one, that's why its called dubbing or doblaje in Spanish where I come from. I dont consider the original Voice Actors to be dubbing if they are the original production. So if say Frozen or Zootopia or Gravity Falls were to be dubbed into Japanese THEN it would be dubbing. But we just have different notions of what constitutes dubbing so its only natural to disagree. No hard feelings here.

Also I doubt anyone called Batman The Animated Series a dub. LOL.
Funnily enough this brief conversation encouraged me to actually look up the definition of the word "Dub" and...yeah it totally matches what you say haha. Well hey I learned something new today. I should try that more often it's kinda nice

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 am

How little effort Super puts into transformations.
90% of them are lame with pretty bad screenplay.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:How little effort Super puts into transformations.
With the characters popping in and out of their transformations all the time in Super, I feel it would get really tedious for every instance to be a big flashy show. Like Goku and Vegetas transformation during the baseball episode would have just been silly if it was treated like it was this big epic thing. Save it for the big moments I say.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm

That's a lopsided way to look at it, don't you think? The important transformations are given proper care, and subsequent transformations are handled as well as anything else. To expect every transformation to stand out in a series with action that moves at Dragon Ball Super's quick, more realistic pace isn't a reasonable expectation.
Retired.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
That's a lopsided way to look at it, don't you think? The important transformations are given proper care, and subsequent transformations are handled as well as anything else. To expect every transformation to stand out in a series with action that moves at Dragon Ball Super's quick, more realistic pace isn't a reasonable expectation.
I agree. Z pretty much handled transformations similarly. The first time someone transformed or when it was a big moment the transformation was flashy, not so much for everything else

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu May 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I agree. Z pretty much handled transformations similarly. The first time someone transformed or when it was a big moment the transformation was flashy, not so much for everything else
Future Trunks turning Super Saiyan was a big surprise because nobody expected it, and in the history of Trunks special it was well earned. Same for Vegeta and Gohan.