Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:What grinds me gears is the double standard people have for the Ocean Dub. It makes the exact same terrible mistakes the original Funi dub did but everyone praises it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just comparing Ocean to OG Funi because they both are terrible. But I can't fathom people still preferring Ocean over the Kai dub performances. It makes no sense to me objectively
Maybe in terms of script, but the performances were better early on, if only due to the actors having far more experience. There are still a number of those voices that I think are vastly superior to even the Kai actors. For instance, King Kai and Ox-King's ocean dub actors are way better than their FUNi counterparts.
Well sure I'm not one of those people that think literally every little aspect is worse but, come on. Drummond Vegeta better than Sabat Kai Vegeta? Really? I don't understand the Scott McNeil love either frankly. He sounds raspy too.

Clearly I'm carrying over from the Drummond thread if it isn't obvious

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Forte224 wrote:What grinds me gears is the double standard people have for the Ocean Dub. It makes the exact same terrible mistakes the original Funi dub did but everyone praises it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just comparing Ocean to OG Funi because they both are terrible. But I can't fathom people still preferring Ocean over the Kai dub performances. It makes no sense to me objectively
Since when does everyone praise the Ocean dub? You either love it or hate it.

Eh, let people like what they like. Sure, the Saban-Ocean dub isn't on the same level as the Funimation Kai dub, but that doesn't mean the voice actors at Ocean couldn't improve if they had better scripts and direction. I'm still waiting for Ocean Kai to come out to see if it's as good as the Pioneer dubs of the first three movies.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

Eh, let people like what they like. Sure, the Saban-Ocean dub isn't on the same level as the Funimation Kai dub, but that doesn't mean the voice actors at Ocean couldn't improve if they had better scripts and direction. I'm still waiting for Ocean Kai to come out to see if it's as good as the Pioneer dubs of the first three movies.
I'd love to hear Ocean Kai too, but I see people all over making OG Ocean out to be this masterful dub but then call Funi out for doing the same things Ocean does. It's like if I said I can't stand McDonald's but Burger King is one of the best restaurants I've been to. I mean, they're pretty much the same, bro

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Forte224 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

I'd love to hear Ocean Kai too, but I see people all over making OG Ocean out to be this masterful dub but then call Funi out for doing the same things Ocean does. It's like if I said I can't stand McDonald's but Burger King is one of the best restaurants I've been to. I mean, they're pretty much the same, bro
Can you give me this evidence that everyone likes the Ocean dub, please? And the things Ocean did were not really their fault. Funimation was responsible for the scripts and Saban did the music and censorship. The voice actors just do the voices. Like I said several times before, I think the Vancouver voice actors are some of the most talented folks in the business, and it's a bad thing to blame them for things that they have nothing to do with.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Go check out the Brian Drummond thread and the favorite non-Funi english voices thread for proof. It's all over. Thats just a sample though. And where exactly did I blame the voice actors? I said the dub is bad. Voices, directing, script, pretty much everything. Nothing in my posts said I was blaming the actors specifically

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Since when does everyone praise the Ocean dub? You either love it or hate it.

Can you give me this evidence that everyone likes the Ocean dub, please? And the things Ocean did were not really their fault. Funimation was responsible for the scripts and Saban did the music and censorship. The voice actors just do the voices. Like I said several times before, I think the Vancouver voice actors are some of the most talented folks in the business, and it's a bad thing to blame them for things that they have nothing to do with.
I would think anyone who started the series with Ocean dub has respect for it, like myself. I would watch the whole franchise under that dub even though it currently would not be my absolute favorite.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm

You hate rasp a lot and I honestly don't mind it. It's no worse than any other sort of voice. I like both Kai Vegeta AND Drummond's take on Vegeta.

I love the voices in Kai, but even then, I think there are a number of Ocean dub voices that I still prefer or think are at least on par with the Kai dub. For instance, Saffron Henderson is so good as both Gohan and young Goku. Sabat's Yamcha voice is very natural sounding, but Ted Cole is a step or two above him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:50 pm

The existence of Chi-Chi. I hate how she cares so little of Goku and is nothing but angry.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

When people can't fathom the notion that extraordinarily powerful characters can still control their strength and hold back their raw power to certain situations that may demand it. Like their galactic bending powers are on 24/7 and have no rest-bite.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm

I've been a vocal Chichi hater in the past and she still bothers me, but her behavior isn't as prevalent in the manga. Hell, she's not in the manga nearly as much in the anime due to filler. But I think it's unfair to say that's all she is. She starts off as flighty, becomes a tiger mom, and then Goku's death affects her deeply. She raises Goten much differently.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:58 pm

When it comes to Chi-Chi, I don't like her or dislike her.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:She raises Goten much differently.
Used to..
She used to raise him differently..
If only she kept at it I wouldn't loathe her as much as I do.. it would make for a good character arc honestly
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to Chi-Chi, I don't like her or dislike her.
I kind of find her cute in the way that she deals with the stereotypical Japanese house-wife role. I feel like, in a way, she's kind of the "One Sane Man" of the main DB cast, if that makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of this archetype, but I like how Toriyama brings up how problematic it is, in a way that's in-line with his casual comedic shtick.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
I kind of find her cute in the way that she deals with the stereotypical Japanese house-wife role. I feel like, in a way, she's kind of the "One Sane Man" of the main DB cast, if that makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of this archetype, but I like how Toriyama brings up how problematic it is, in a way that's in-line with his casual comedic shtick.
You think Chichi is the "One Sane Man" of the cast? She's just as out there as anyone.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:10 pm

ABED wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
You think Chichi is the "One Sane Man" of the cast? She's just as out there as anyone.
I mean. She's basically a normie in the middle of superpowered cosmic battles, & she spent her whole childhood under the ideal of "I'mma grow up to be the perfect country bumpkin housewife!". Things are constantly perilous around her, & her lone supports are fellow normie & fellow country bumpkin. It sort of puts it into perspective how spectacular the events are, & it's perfectly understandable how "crazy" she is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm

While her role of housewife is normal, her personality is over the top.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeah that's really irritating.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 pm

It makes complete sense to me that people would have different reactions to the issue you're talking about. One actor being over the top could be irritating, but in the hands of another actor it could be delightful. That's not a double standard.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Chi-Chi was fine in the Boo arc but Super's kind of shat on that whole development of "Yeah... maybe having someone who knows how to fight so more people don't die isn't such a bad thing!" gets reversed harder than DC Rebirths Superman status quo.

I guess it's supposed to be her thinking that with Goku around, Goten doesn't need to be the fighting child but the show does fuck all with a mountain sized load of jack shit to even remotely imply this at any point, ever.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 am

Hate to break it to you but the Kai dub is not perfect, no dub is.
Forte224 wrote:Go check out the Brian Drummond thread and the favorite non-Funi english voices thread for proof. It's all over.
God forbid anyone have positive things to say about NON-FUNIMATION ENGLISH VOICES. I mean, it's not as if the title of that thread was any indication or anything...