Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm

This is a preemptive one but as much as I like fem Broly pissing off the Brolytard nation, if anyone so much as farts something resembling a Broly shout out (as in, acknowledging ANY of his appearances), Super needs to die.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 am

When people call Goku and Chi-Chi terrible parents. They're not the best parents ever, but they didn't raise bad children.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:When people call Goku and Chi-Chi terrible parents. They're not the best parents ever, but they didn't raise bad children.
Somehow! lol Seriously, those kids need some therapy. I don't think that Chichi is a terrible parent -- I chalk it up to the fans wanting her to let her kids go off to fight. Goku is... well, not a good parent. He wanders off and forgets about everyone for as long as he needs to.

Anyway, as much as the Broly fans were annoying back in 2003, I find it equally as annoying when the fanbase continues to harp on them so much even though they're not really around anymore. You see the "Brolytard" thing all the time... and yet... I don't remember the last time that I saw one of them. I'm pretty sure that as the series progressed and Broly is nowhere to be seen as everyone else gets stronger, they dropped off.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:04 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:When people call Goku and Chi-Chi terrible parents. They're not the best parents ever, but they didn't raise bad children.
Somehow! lol Seriously, those kids need some therapy. I don't think that Chichi is a terrible parent -- I chalk it up to the fans wanting her to let her kids go off to fight. Goku is... well, not a good parent. He wanders off and forgets about everyone for as long as he needs to.

Anyway, as much as the Broly fans were annoying back in 2003, I find it equally as annoying when the fanbase continues to harp on them so much even though they're not really around anymore. You see the "Brolytard" thing all the time... and yet... I don't remember the last time that I saw one of them. I'm pretty sure that as the series progressed and Broly is nowhere to be seen as everyone else gets stronger, they dropped off.

Broly fanboys were everywhere a few years ago. They've gone quiet now but they were definitely there. A small vocal minority.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Broly fanboys were everywhere a few years ago. They've gone quiet now but they were definitely there. A small vocal minority.
Oh, I know they were out there, but they aren't anymore. They really haven't been for years. If you run into one or two who like Broly, that doesn't mean that there's a whole fanbase of them. Yet, I see the term "Brolytard" way more than I actually see these "Brolytards." That's all I'm saying. It's like beating a dead horse. Ha-ha, we get it, they're annoying... but they're not really around anymore so we can stop harping on them. Besides, there are plenty of Vegeta fans who will swear up and down that he is the main character and the strongest ever. We don't have funny little names like "Vegetards" for them... or do we...? Did I just start that...? lol Kidding

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:01 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Broly fanboys were everywhere a few years ago. They've gone quiet now but they were definitely there. A small vocal minority.
Oh, I know they were out there, but they aren't anymore. They really haven't been for years. If you run into one or two who like Broly, that doesn't mean that there's a whole fanbase of them. Yet, I see the term "Brolytard" way more than I actually see these "Brolytards." That's all I'm saying. It's like beating a dead horse. Ha-ha, we get it, they're annoying... but they're not really around anymore so we can stop harping on them. Besides, there are plenty of Vegeta fans who will swear up and down that he is the main character and the strongest ever. We don't have funny little names like "Vegetards" for them... or do we...? Did I just start that...? lol Kidding
I feel the whole "tard" is really terrible anyway. All I see nowadays is "Funitards" "Z tards" or "dub tards"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:
I feel the whole "tard" is really terrible anyway. All I see nowadays is "Funitards" "Z tards" or "dub tards"
Seriously, I'll never understand why some Dragon Ball fans need to attack others for preferring the Z dub. They should be mature and realize that some people prefer to watch Dragon Ball without having to read subtitles.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Liking or being a fan of Broly is not the same as being annoying. Some Broly fans were annoying because they exaggerated things and weren't reasonable. Just liking or being a fan of Broly is just a preference.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Seriously, I'll never understand why some Dragon Ball fans need to attack others for preferring the Z dub. They should be mature and realize that some people prefer to watch Dragon Ball without having to read subtitles.
Because conflict breeds further conflict. It's like a never ending cycle of hatred in this fandom.

For all the people calling those who prefer the dub "dubtards", there are an equal amount of people, if not more, calling those who prefer the sub "weeaboos" or "weebs". That is just as bad imo.

I see a lot more people crapping on the Japanese voices, namely Goku's, on social media (YouTube is the biggest offender, naturally). Conversely, the English voices aren't really criticised that much, except perhaps Linda Young's Freeza. In any case, this criticism of the Japanese voices, which can get as extreme as people wishing for Masako Nozawa to die, is what tends to trigger a lot of the sub fans, who then go on to incite conflict with dub fans. Of course, there are assholes among the sub fans who verbally abuse dub fans just because they're assholes, and vice versa.

Now, I'm not defending either side. The radicals on both sides are wrong, and no one should be lambasted for preferring one version of a show to another. It's just a sad reminder that there's a reason Dragon Ball fans have such a negative reputation among other fandoms.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 pm

I agree with the "tard" thing -- what a low thing to come up with.

And yeah, I know that they're annoying, but lots of fans are annoying. Vegeta fans could be annoying too with them always trying to figure out ways how he could be stronger than Goku and then with their complaining whenever he doesn't get the spotlight. Like with Resurrection F, people were so upset that Vegeta wasn't ultimately the guy to get the spotlight. Lots of fans are annoying for different reasons. Just like the extreme TFS supporters and detractors -- one side will claim that TFS is the greatest thing ever and use all of their jokes to nauseum and the other side will try to tear down anything that they've ever done. Just like fans are with the Nozawa thing about how they hate her voice. Yeah, we get it, move on with your lives.

But for some reason, the Broly fans got this great highlighted distinction from the rest of the fanbase. That's probably because they are the minority by a long shot -- lots of people don't think that Broly was anything special, so it's easy to jump on the few who go overboard with promoting him. Lots of people like Vegeta, so he doesn't get the same treatment as Broly fans. But yeah, I know they're annoying. I've dealt with Broly fans as early as 2003 when I joined my first forum. But you know what? They pretty much disappeared, but they're still talked about in a derogatory way. A Broly rip-off appears in Super and people are all "Har har here come the Brolytards!" Nope, I don't see them around. So it's time we got off of them I think. To me, bashing the Broly fans and calling them something as low as "Brolytards" grinds my gears just as much as the fans who used to say that Broly could kill Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

To me, fans can enjoy whatever they'd like -- Vegeta, Goku, Broly, the dub, the Harmony Gold dub, I really don't care. It's much more annoying when you have people trying to tell them how to properly enjoy the series. All of these things like "Brolytard," "Funitard," "dubtard," etc. are a direct result from just that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Because conflict breeds further conflict. It's like a never ending cycle of hatred in this fandom.
That's not particular to any particular fandom, sadly. Every fandom has its conflicts. Online shippers are notorious for that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:19 pm

100% true, ABED. We only see it with the DB fandom because we're in it. But just because it happens with almost any fandom doesn't mean that it doesn't happen a lot more in DB and it doesn't make it okay. While I'm sure that many fan bases out there have their nuances, Dragon Ball has so many things that divide the audience that it's almost impossible for everyone to be on the same page.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm fine with diverging opinions. There's no fandom that's in 100% agreement on almost any issue I can think of. That's okay. The drama comes from HOW people disagree. I see it far too often where people get personal and throw around insults.

I like that this forum allows for disagreement and good natured debate. Far too often "why?" is seen as an almost dirty word. Someone has an opinion and I ask why they hold that opinion and people (including moderators) jump to the conclusion that I'm knocking them. I'm just a curious person. I like to know and it could inform my view even if I don't fully agree.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:100% true, ABED. We only see it with the DB fandom because we're in it. But just because it happens with almost any fandom doesn't mean that it doesn't happen a lot more in DB and it doesn't make it okay. While I'm sure that many fan bases out there have their nuances, Dragon Ball has so many things that divide the audience that it's almost impossible for everyone to be on the same page.
Agreed. While every fandom has its issues, the only one I've seen that's as divisive as Dragon Ball is the Star Wars fandom. That's just from my experience though.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:49 pm

ABED wrote:Online shippers are notorious for that.
I was a veteran of the great shipping war of 02....
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:57 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:100% true, ABED. We only see it with the DB fandom because we're in it. But just because it happens with almost any fandom doesn't mean that it doesn't happen a lot more in DB and it doesn't make it okay. While I'm sure that many fan bases out there have their nuances, Dragon Ball has so many things that divide the audience that it's almost impossible for everyone to be on the same page.
Agreed. While every fandom has its issues, the only one I've seen that's as divisive as Dragon Ball is the Star Wars fandom. That's just from my experience though.
Define "divisive". Is it simply that people don't agree?

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 pm

ABED wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:
Define "divisive". Is it simply that people don't agree?
Disagreement that leads to outright hostility, to the point that it's not a stretch to think there's a civil war going on in the fandom. In my earlier post I elaborated on one aspect of this in the DB community: the sub vs dub debate, and one of the ways it escalates to extreme levels. A few examples from the Star Wars fandom are prequels vs sequels, Disney vs George Lucas, and Rebels vs The Clone Wars.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:13 pm

The hostility bothers me. I vehemently dislike a number of the dub voices, but it's aimed at the product, not its fans.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 pm

What grinds me gears is the double standard people have for the Ocean Dub. It makes the exact same terrible mistakes the original Funi dub did but everyone praises it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just comparing Ocean to OG Funi because they both are terrible. But I can't fathom people still preferring Ocean over the Kai dub performances. It makes no sense to me objectively

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Forte224 wrote:What grinds me gears is the double standard people have for the Ocean Dub. It makes the exact same terrible mistakes the original Funi dub did but everyone praises it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just comparing Ocean to OG Funi because they both are terrible. But I can't fathom people still preferring Ocean over the Kai dub performances. It makes no sense to me objectively
Maybe in terms of script, but the performances were better early on, if only due to the actors having far more experience. There are still a number of those voices that I think are vastly superior to even the Kai actors. For instance, King Kai and Ox-King's ocean dub actors are way better than their FUNi counterparts.