Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Cipher wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:...... Are you an Indian?
serious question if you are okay with it :)
I'm white as the snow.
So, albino?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:...... Are you an Indian?
serious question if you are okay with it :)
I'm white as the snow.
So, albino?
Or maybe something along the lines of this?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed May 17, 2017 1:09 am

When people say that Nozawa's Goku sounds feminine/like a woman/old gramma/girl because he is voiced by a woman.

I know I've already complained about this a couple of days ago, but it just really makes me mad when I see these type of comments. Even though I don't like Sean's Goku and Chris Sabat's Vegeta, I never disrespect there performances. And it grinds my gears how little respect some "fans" have towards Nozawa. Saying that she shouldn't have voiced adult Goku or that her Goku sounds like a little bitch, etc. Anyways, I'm glad I don't have to deal with these type of comments here.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:07 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
ABED wrote:
Cipher wrote: I'm white as the snow.
So, albino?
Or maybe something along the lines of this?
Is that supposed to be scary? Because with that post and facial expression it looks hilarious!
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed May 17, 2017 5:13 am

Danfun64 wrote: Is that supposed to be scary? Because with that post and facial expression it looks hilarious!
It's supposed to be funny, and what do you know, it was!
If I wanted scary I would have picked this bad boy
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm

OW MY EYES HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE RULES GETITOFFGETIFOFFGETITOFFFFFFFFFF!

...xD
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Bajosexto wrote:When people say that Nozawa's Goku sounds feminine/like a woman/old gramma/girl because he is voiced by a woman.

I know I've already complained about this a couple of days ago, but it just really makes me mad when I see these type of comments. Even though I don't like Sean's Goku and Chris Sabat's Vegeta, I never disrespect there performances. And it grinds my gears how little respect some "fans" have towards Nozawa. Saying that she shouldn't have voiced adult Goku or that her Goku sounds like a little bitch, etc. Anyways, I'm glad I don't have to deal with these type of comments here.
I've never heard a Japanese girl that sounded like Nozawa's Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed May 17, 2017 2:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:When people say that Nozawa's Goku sounds feminine/like a woman/old gramma/girl because he is voiced by a woman.

I've never heard a Japanese girl that sounded like Nozawa's Goku.
Neither have I. To me her Goku sounds like young boy.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm

You're glad you don't have to deal with someone disagreeing with an pinion on whether a voice fits or not? And respect? It's not disrespectful to dislike a performance and think another would be more suited.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Whenever "power levels logic" is used as a measure stick to measure writing quality.
The obsession with strenght has ruined the fanbase.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Whenever "power levels logic" is used as a measure stick to measure writing quality.
The obsession with strenght has ruined the fanbase.
Are we talking about strict numerical adherence or what? While I get that sort of scrutiny can be a little much, stories do need internal logic. Piccolo was able to fight Freeza in his second form on equal footing and then became stronger than a Super Saiyan in the Cell arc, but in RoF, one of Freeza's top henchmen is hailed as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria. That same lackey fights Piccolo and isn't swatted away like a fly. That inattention to detail isn't me being picky, it's bad writing sticking out like a sore thumb.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 pm

ABED wrote:Are we talking about strict numerical adherence or what? While I get that sort of scrutiny can be a little much, stories do need internal logic. Piccolo was able to fight Freeza in his second form on equal footing and then became stronger than a Super Saiyan in the Cell arc, but in RoF, one of Freeza's top henchmen is hailed as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria. That same lackey fights Piccolo and isn't swatted away like a fly. That inattention to detail isn't me being picky, it's bad writing sticking out like a sore thumb.
If you think that's bad writing (which it is), just wait until you see the crap in Super.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote:Are we talking about strict numerical adherence or what? While I get that sort of scrutiny can be a little much, stories do need internal logic. Piccolo was able to fight Freeza in his second form on equal footing and then became stronger than a Super Saiyan in the Cell arc, but in RoF, one of Freeza's top henchmen is hailed as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria. That same lackey fights Piccolo and isn't swatted away like a fly. That inattention to detail isn't me being picky, it's bad writing sticking out like a sore thumb.
If you think that's bad writing (which it is), just wait until you see the crap in Super.
He knows not what awaits him. Lucky son of a bitch :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Oh I've heard some of these examples. Apparently Roshi is stronger than Tenshinhan.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 pm

ABED wrote:Oh I've heard some of these examples. Apparently Roshi is stronger than Tenshinhan.
According to Goku, Roshi has actually been training in secret this whole time. It's a little weird and not the most believable thing in the world, but I wouldn't cite that as one of the worse examples. Especially since Roshi's fight was under unique circumstances.
Retired.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:

You're glad you don't have to deal with someone disagreeing with an pinion on whether a voice fits or not? And respect? It's not disrespectful to dislike a performance and think another would be more suited.
I'm glad I don't have to deal with YouTube type comments here where they hate on the Japanese version without actually debating. It is disrespectful when it's done in a rude manner. Like saying that Nozawa's Goku sounds like a little bitch.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

I'm glad I don't have to deal with YouTube type comments here where they hate on the Japanese version without actually debating. It is disrespectful when it's done in a rude manner. Like saying that Nozawa's Goku sounds like a little bitch.
I always ignore them unless they have actually given the series a try in Japanese (which they haven't).
I still don't understand how someone can judge a VA and form an opinion about them simply by watching some clips on YouTube. What's stopping me from just going to a YT clip of Season 3 and obnoxiously comment on their "Faulkner music" and "Hopes of the universe"?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
He knows not what awaits him. Lucky son of a bitch :P
Super's writing isn't that bad to warrant a warning.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 am

The comparison I always go back to is Bart Simpson. Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman but he doesn't sound like a woman, he sounds like a kid. And when they do scenes or episodes where he's an adult he keeps the same voice, just slightly deeper. It's the exact same way Goku's voice is handled in Japanese, and for the same reason: It's the voice associated with the character. If you watch the show in sequence it makes a lot more sense.

One thing I do find funny is if you look at the English and Japanese casts, they're almost mirrored. In the Japanese cast almost every character has naturalistic voice, while Goku (as an adult) is the only one with a voice that defies reality. In the English cast its inversed. Goku sounds like a normal man, but every other character sounds like some kind of put-on caricature. So even though I can understand why people would prefer adult Goku to have the voice of an adult, I just can't understand how they can tolerate every other voice being kinda goofy in the same way.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:17 am

Gog wrote: Super's writing isn't that bad to warrant a warning.
To each his own. If anything, it's worse than deserving of a warning.