Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sexyphobe

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Sexyphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 am

ABED wrote:
remain this stoic, almost unlikeable person nowadays is frustrating
When was Goku ever stoic?
Then again just because something's more accurate doesn't mean it's better just because of that fact. Sometimes I just prefer the dub version of Goku, his speech to Krillin about letting Vegeta go in the original dub makes a lot more sense, and would seem like something than would actually convince Krillin.
Except that it's not his character. He is the kind of character who would let the bad guy go for the sake of a fight.
Sorry, meant static character.

You're right, that's not true to his character. But sometimes I wish it were
The anti-sexist

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

It makes Goku unique.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Sexyphobe

Post by Sexyphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:41 am

It makes him a hard character to like or root for.
The anti-sexist

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

Sexyphobe wrote:
ABED wrote:
remain this stoic, almost unlikeable person nowadays is frustrating
When was Goku ever stoic?
Then again just because something's more accurate doesn't mean it's better just because of that fact. Sometimes I just prefer the dub version of Goku, his speech to Krillin about letting Vegeta go in the original dub makes a lot more sense, and would seem like something than would actually convince Krillin.
Except that it's not his character. He is the kind of character who would let the bad guy go for the sake of a fight.

If you want that type of character then you could watch Superman movies.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Sexyphobe

Post by Sexyphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Sexyphobe wrote:
ABED wrote:When was Goku ever stoic?

Or I can read Dragon Ball Minus.
The anti-sexist

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:28 pm

People who disrespect Masako Nozawa, say that Super Saiyan God is stronger than Super Saiyan Blue, and who think that Goku Black is Goten.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention people who still calls Goku Black "Black Goku".
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:People who disrespect Masako Nozawa, say that Super Saiyan God is stronger than Super Saiyan Blue, and who think that Goku Black is Goten.
That is still a thing? :eh:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Select pixiv artists have taken a liking to depicting Goku Black as Goten to this day. So, yes, it's an ongoing "thing".

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54 pm

- Masako Nozawa's voice of adult Goku. I cannot, for the life of me, find it fitting for a character who has a body-builder physique. The scream especially ... ugh.
- MasakoX's voice of adult TFS Goku. Sounds gay and lame. I know his voice with the S's is something he has in default, but it annoys me.
- Any kind of filler or joke in the show that makes me feel like an idiot for watching something meant for 10-year-olds. The truth hurts.
- People who call FighterZ a mobile game.
- Power Levels.
- Fans who constantly cling on to Power Levels as a way to hate on Super.
- Lack of subtitles in TFS DBZ Abridged. They could help a non-native English speaker a lot.
- Anything that has to do with Broly (Kale counts - she ultra sucks).
- That Cooler isn't canon.
- Frieza yet to have a Final Form Cooler-like transformation.
- Earthlings yet to be given a way to reach the power of the Saiyans.
- Yamcha being used as a meme and a joke. He deserves so much more than that.
- Story being centered on Goku.
- Goku whenever he acts like a retard and makes morally dubious choices for the sake of a good match.

That's what mostly grinds my gears in Dragon Ball (Z/GT/Super)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Or the animated series because the movies are awful.
- Masako Nozawa's voice of adult Goku. I cannot, for the life of me, find it fitting for a character who has a body-builder physique
He doesn't have a body builder's physique and a physique has nothing to do with one's voice.
- Story being centered on Goku.
You might as well be irritated that a Batman story centers on Batman.
It makes him a hard character to like or root for.
You don't have to like him to find him interesting.

I get that the dub changed people's understanding of the characters and the story. Hell, it took me until my 20s to understand who Goku really was. I blame Toei and the dub for that misperception.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I cannot get Haruka - Lacco Tower out of my head. I love it so much but it has been playing in my head nonstop, over and over since I first heard it!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:40 pm

When some people praise mediocrity or garbage, like its breaking new ground. AKA Dragon Ball Super

Sexyphobe

Post by Sexyphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 pm

You're right I don't have to like him, but I really want to.

And just because he's the protagonist doesn't mean the story has to revolve around him. The Namek Saga up to the Ginyu Force arc, and a good chunk of the Android Saga had the focus on other characters. The Buu Saga kinda tried, pushing Gotenks and Gohan before going back to Goku and Vegeta.
The anti-sexist

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:When some people praise mediocrity or garbage, like its breaking new ground. AKA Dragon Ball Super
So you don't like the idea of people liking stuff that you don't like?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

ABED wrote:
- Masako Nozawa's voice of adult Goku. I cannot, for the life of me, find it fitting for a character who has a body-builder physique
He doesn't have a body builder's physique and a physique has nothing to do with one's voice.
Actually steroids that are unused by body are converted to estrogen that affects larynx- so high pitched voice is very common among athletes and almost given for those overdosing supplements (meanwhile women ends with deep voice). And you don't have to be a strongman to be affected- Ray Park who made awesome stunts in The Phantom menace without breaking a sweat had his voice overdubed in every production since it seemed to be out of place.

And for liking Goku... characters' doesn't have to be likable to be liked. There's a place for wholesome paragons but fiction has a lot more to offer like characters with different moral codes. Goku wasn't written as a paragon- he has a heart and a bit of brain but his love for fight and carefree attitude connected with lack of empathy is an interesting combination of pros and flaws.

And DBSA does have subs on youtube- script and various translations.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Eire wrote:
ABED wrote:
Actually steroids that are unused by body are converted to estrogen that affects larynx- so high pitched voice is very common among athletes and almost given for those overdosing supplements (meanwhile women ends with deep voice). And you don't have to be a strongman to be affected- Ray Park who made awesome stunts in The Phantom menace without breaking a sweat had his voice overdubed in every production since it seemed to be out of place.

And for liking Goku... characters' doesn't have to be likable to be liked. There's a place for wholesome paragons but fiction has a lot more to offer like characters with different moral codes. Goku wasn't written as a paragon- he has a heart and a bit of brain but his love for fight and carefree attitude connected with lack of empathy is an interesting combination of pros and flaws.

And DBSA does have subs on youtube- script and various translations.
I know I'm the king of pedantic, but it doesn't affect it to that extent. ANd what does Park's voice have to do with this? He's not a body builder and his voice wasn't dubbed over in X-Men. His voice is naturally high.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 pm

ABED wrote:]Or the animated series because the movies are awful.
I thought the first two Reeve Superman movies were pretty good. Now the other ones, yeah, they range from bad to awful.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:When some people praise mediocrity or garbage, like its breaking new ground. AKA Dragon Ball Super
So you don't like the idea of people liking stuff that you don't like?
I never said that or implied it, DBS is nothing more than uncreative and uninspired mediocrity most of the time and during certain points of the story, some people try to make more out of something of what's really being shown.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 pm

When some fans try to make moments in the series out to examples of subtlety. If you don't agree, they will imply or outright say that it went over your head because it wasn't spelled out for you.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Over exaggeration. I find this mainly in comments regarding to Super with how it makes people churn out comments like, "As for the rest of you who are going to read this comment, I didn't mean to offend people and hopefully it's clear that I'm only supporting freedom of speech." Like...Christ dude this is a cartoon from Japan about fighting not life or death politics :/