Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:31 am

ABED wrote: Favorite Goku voice actor: Nozawa, Schemmel, Corlette, MasakoX.
I prefer MasakoX to Schemmel myself. What's wrong with that?
I don't like Abridged most of their jokes fall flat but as far as voice acting is concerned MasakoX for me is far more tolerable than Schemmel.

- Travis

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:54 am

Ozotto wrote:In on secret sub vs dub flame war thread.

jk jk jk.

What grinds my gears...

- Daizenshuu data books, never getting an official English translation and release.
- Funimation never including The History of Trunks and Bardock Father of Goku in their DVD movie box collection.
- No GT BluRay release yet.
- Scarcity of Dragon Boxes.
- Crushed Blacks
- Changing original aspect ratios
- Taking out the grain
- Western televised opening theme songs in DVD/ Blu ray releases not existing.
- Next episode previews, last time of dbz reviews, not on any funimation release.
- Recoloring

... honestly all I want from funimation is an untouched release of dbz exactly how it was originally broadcasted in the west.
...keep it uncut, devoid of censorship that might not have made it on air though.
...as a bonus throw in the ocean dub too since nostalgia.
To add to your list

FUNi doing an abysmal job making it clear the DBOX's were limited print items.
FUNi not releasing the DBZ movies DBOX despite the fact that it was announced when the DBOX's for DBZ were also announced (or as I like to call it a complete waste of money)
FUNi selling DBOX's at the Dallas Comicon last year at scalper prices (next to the cancelation of the UUE's and Level sets this was one of the biggest slap in the face moves FUNi ever did to their DBZ fanbase and is a primary reason I will never buy any FUNi DVD's or Blu-rays' brand new ever again I'm fine with 2nd hand goods)
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:09 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
ABED wrote: Favorite Goku voice actor: Nozawa, Schemmel, Corlette, MasakoX.
I prefer MasakoX to Schemmel myself. What's wrong with that?
I don't like Abridged most of their jokes fall flat but as far as voice acting is concerned MasakoX for me is far more tolerable than Schemmel.

- Travis
Because it's a parody, he's not actually playing Goku, and it's not a very good "performance". It's not even supposed to be, it's a parody.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 am

Lack of tension due to the presence of Whis and Beerus. I do wonder, what they are going to do in the forthcoming episodes with Beerus and Whis right there on the sidelines, when Goku fights Black like against Freeza.
"Looks like this will be a decent training exercise for you. We'll just sit and watch, eat some food, and be in some gag scenes"
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 am

ABED wrote: and it's not a very good "performance".
Opinions. People can just think that the voice is better for Goku and enjoy the performance, especially since Abridged is not made of jokes 100% of the time. There are moments that are played off pretty much like they would be played off in a normal dub, like some action scenes and attacks.
Last edited by rereboy on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:49 am

ABED wrote:Anything associated with Dragon Ball Abridged. I especially dislike it when people here act like it's an actual official dub and not of the same quality as any other fandub. It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
It's written infinitely better than Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:03 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:
ABED wrote:Anything associated with Dragon Ball Abridged. I especially dislike it when people here act like it's an actual official dub and not of the same quality as any other fandub. It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
First, I doubt it, and second, to the degree that it is, it's not written from scratch. They aren't making up their own story.
Opinions. People can just think that the voice is better for Goku and enjoy the performance, especially since Abridged is not made of jokes 100% of the time. There are moments that are played off pretty much like they would be played off in a normal dub, like some action scenes and attacks.
I wrote what grinds my gears. And maybe abridged isn't 100% jokes, I can barely get through an entire episode. It was that bad. It was people desperately trying to be funny and clever and the acting was very amateurish, and that's fine for what it is (i.e. an amateur production.)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:07 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:It's written infinitely better than Super.
You hate Super, we get it. Is it really necessary to bring it up in each and every conversation that mentions the name of the series?

That's something else that grinds my gears. Super haters.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 pm

ABED wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:
First, I doubt it, and second, to the degree that it is, it's not written from scratch. They aren't making up their own story.
I wrote what grinds my gears. And maybe abridged isn't 100% jokes, I can barely get through an entire episode. It was that bad. It was people desperately trying to be funny and clever and the acting was very amateurish, and that's fine for what it is (i.e. an amateur production.)
That's all fine but the issue is that its not Abridged itself grinding your gears, it's people liking/loving it... and no matter what you think about it, other people don't have to agree with you. That's all that was being pointed out.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:It's written infinitely better than Super.
You hate Super, we get it. Is it really necessary to bring it up in each and every conversation that mentions the name of the series?

That's something else that grinds my gears. Super haters.
I'm just stating a fact. IF that grinds your gears I don't know what to tell you. People here are so quick to criticize other works but somehow find the energy to passionately defend the debacle that is Super. It's like it has it's own team of lawyers defending every piss poor aspect of it and even inventing head canon for it to make sense. You know what? That grinds my gears.

Abridged takes the source material and makes very clever use of it, walking the fine line of a parody but not reducing the characters to hollow caricatures or relying heavily on too many gag jokes.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Maybe it's because... I don't know... they actually like the show? If it's terrible in your opinion, that still doesn't give a reason for you to show your hate for it every time it's mentioned.

I'd easily defend the other series if there was a need to. All the debate right now is centered around Super, so there's no need to.

And I think you're defending Abridged too much for it being a parody.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 pm

ABED wrote: (i.e. an amateur production.)
It strayed from just being an amateur production a while ago, even if you don't like it, it's come a long way.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Abridged takes the source material and makes very clever use of it, walking the fine line of a parody but not reducing the characters to hollow caricatures or relying heavily on too many gag jokes.
That's exactly what they do, which is fine because it's a parody. They don't walk a fine line, it's a parody. The only question is whether it's good or not.
It strayed from just being an amateur production a while ago, even if you don't like it, it's come a long way.
It is an amateur production. They aren't paid to produce the episodes.

The other thing that grinds my gears is when I see people who don't like the dub, but for some reason, single out Nadolny as good. I don't get it, of all the actors on the show, her Goku is the one good voice?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 pm

ABED wrote:The other thing that grinds my gears is when I see people who don't like the dub, but for some reason, single out Nadolny as good. I don't get it, of all the actors on the show, her Goku is the one good voice?
Her being bad is still only opinion.
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:The other thing that grinds my gears is when I see people who don't like the dub, but for some reason, single out Nadolny as good. I don't get it, of all the actors on the show, her Goku is the one good voice?
Yet another thing that grinds my gears, people constantly spouting "that's your opinion" as if it isn't implied. Do I really have to write it EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Her being bad is still only opinion.
Well, only to an extent is that true. There is a science to tuning into legitimately poor voice acting, but I don't think it's common to properly evaluate talent. I haven't viewed the English dub in some time, so I don't think it would be fair for me to breakdown episode's worth of content just based on my limited memory.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:
Yet another thing that grinds my gears, people constantly spouting "that's your opinion" as if it isn't implied. Do I really have to write it EVERY SINGLE TIME?
It's a cancer on this forum. Yes, things can objectively be bad especially in terms of art.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm

ABED wrote:Yet another thing that grinds my gears, people constantly spouting "that's your opinion" as if it isn't implied. Do I really have to write it EVERY SINGLE TIME?
This is what you said:
I don't get it, of all the actors on the show, her Goku is the one good voice?
That's basically saying as fact that she's bad. If you thought it was your opinion more than fact, you shouldn't have said it. But if that's what grinds your gears, okay. Sorry.
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:52 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:Yes, things can objectively be bad especially in terms of art.
Agreed, for instance, if a plot thread is left dangling or a payoff isn't sufficiently setup, then it's objectively bad writing. Deus ex machina is also objectively bad, such as Goku losing the 22nd Budokai because he hit a car. Maybe someone can think of a reason why it make sense, but I can't.
That's basically saying as fact that she's bad. If you thought it was your opinion more than fact, you shouldn't have said it.
It's implied.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 pm

ABED wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:Yes, things can objectively be bad especially in terms of art.
Agreed, for instance, if a plot thread is left dangling or a payoff isn't sufficiently setup, then it's objectively bad writing. Deus ex machina is also objectively bad, such as Goku losing the 22nd Budokai because he hit a car. Maybe someone can think of a reason why it make sense, but I can't.
It deoends on the exercution.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017