Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:22 am

Remember back in the Cell saga when they called SSJ Grade 2 "beyond super saiyan"? Before there was such a thing as SSJ2.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 am

People still referring to cell games Gohan as "teen Gohan", the video games probably don't help either.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 pm

The fact DBS have a lot of what an idiot moment, episode 98 was the worst example, stupidity because the plot demanded then again db in general is like this especially the cell saga, here are the pages for these claims

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 pm

TV Tropes has no right to determine what an idiot moment is.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:TV Tropes has no right to determine what an idiot moment is.
:?: What do you mean by this,DB is full of these moments
Mostly active on discord.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

TV Tropes itself is idiotic. They have no right to call anything idiotic. Even stuff as idiotic as Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:TV Tropes itself is idiotic. They have no right to call anything idiotic. Even stuff as idiotic as Super.
Still I can't tolerate these idiotic moment in DB and I hated when the cell saga pull these moments and do you have something against tv tropes
Mostly active on discord.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Not really, but its not the place you want to go for objective failproof info. I dont like the idiotic moments in Super, even if I do like Super and dont complain about it as much, but TV Tropes is messed up. I cant share why here though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 pm

TV Tropes is an amusing website (at times), but it's not an objective source of information.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Yeah, TV Tropes has some stuff out there that really doesn't mean much of anything.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Toonami1998

Post by Toonami1998 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am

Faulconers music should be the standard for DBZ guy lol, his music brought soul to the series. What grinds my gears is the youtubers who spend %70 of the video blabbering about bullshit and just putting filler in to lengthen there video, get to the point already..

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 am

Tension building. I know, animation is difficult and expensive, but at times it feels like they use "tension building" as an excuse to cut costs, and I feel that the show suffers for it.

I mean really, how long do you really have to pan a still image of Goku's face just to build up tension?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 am

cheddarsword wrote:Tension building. I know, animation is difficult and expensive, but at times it feels like they use "tension building" as an excuse to cut costs, and I feel that the show suffers for it.

I mean really, how long do you really have to pan a still image of Goku's face just to build up tension?
Something similar really ticks me off is how they do a few seconds of action, then stand in front of each other, smirk for a bit, talk in clever one liners for a few minutes with a bunch of staring, then again a few seconds of fighting, and back to staring. RoF arc was killing me with this :crazy:

Tribesman

Post by Tribesman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:34 am

Super specifically, the character development that has just taken place over the arc getting immediately erased based upon what the writers want. Feels like there is little continuity with it. None of it really seems to matter in the long run. The last character development they didn't go back on was Vegeta's sacrifice during Buu saga (imo).
- Steam: [TGH] Tribesman - YouTube: TribesmanGaming - Origin: ITribesmanI - uPlay: Tribesman256 -

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 am

Tribesman wrote:Super specifically, the character development that has just taken place over the arc getting immediately erased based upon what the writers want. Feels like there is little continuity with it. None of it really seems to matter in the long run. The last character development they didn't go back on was Vegeta's sacrifice during Buu saga (imo).

To be fair Toriyama has messed with his own continuity before Super even came along.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 am

MR.Mark wrote:To be fair Toriyama has messed with his own continuity before Super even came along.

That's not messing, that's adding

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 am

mute_proxy wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:To be fair Toriyama has messed with his own continuity before Super even came along.

Granted the Ubb stuff is nice, but Vegeta's final line seemed to go against his development in the Buu arc. Though I guess it would explain some of his behavior in Super though.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 am

mute_proxy wrote:

And both views are at the core of what divides people on Super.
mute_proxy wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:Tension building. I know, animation is difficult and expensive, but at times it feels like they use "tension building" as an excuse to cut costs, and I feel that the show suffers for it.

Something similar really ticks me off is how they do a few seconds of action, then stand in front of each other, smirk for a bit, talk in clever one liners for a few minutes with a bunch of staring, then again a few seconds of fighting, and back to staring. RoF arc was killing me with this :crazy:
I know what you mean. They build up tension, only to stop the fight and build more! It ends up being less of a roller coaster and more like a pendulum ride.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 am

Fans adamant attitude torwards their favourite characters being made fun of in-story or "disrespected" (biggest offender, the outcry torwards Vegeta dancing in BoG and to a lesser extend the ganrage whenever he doesn't get the kill).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:48 am

Goku being so pro-Fusion and pro-Portara all throughout the Buu arc to then suddenly out of nowhere be like "Nah Fusion isn't for me" when given another opportunity at Portara, what in the actual hell, did he not just see Buu blow the Earth up? Hello Goku. AND then when fighting Pure Kid Buu he has the cheek to be like "oh should have beaten you as Super Buu when we were Vegetto if we had known" YOU JUST REJECTED THE CHANCE TO BE VEGETTO AGAIN!!!!! Eurgh... I swear as much as I love the Buu arc the writing can be so awful at times, the arc could have ended at any point if characters were just logical. And the characterisation of Goku in general not just the example I gave of Goku is the worst I have seen for him.