Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think any African American voice actor could have been a bit uneasy about playing a guy who so obviously resembles a Black Face character like Black. On top of him being evil and despicable.

Not that it makes it right. And I'm probably cutting Funimation TOO much slack.
Set aside blackface character, but why would a black VA be uneasy about playing a villain who happens to be black?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

Precisely due to blackface. No other way around it. The "Evil" part is an addendum to my argument but it certainly doesnt help.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 am

Is it the big lips that make people think blackface instead of just "black"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:58 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Gligarman wrote:Here's something that grinds my gears. The fact that the only Black, human character in the show is voiced by a White guy in the dub.
Oob is Indian, Mr. Popo isn't human, Goku Black isn't black, Piccolo isn't black, Bora and his son are Native Indians so it leaves me to believe you're referring to Star Officer Black? Yeah, he was voiced by a European voice-actor (Chris Sabat).

On Dragon Ball Movie 4, he doesn't even look black but moreso brown, light-skin.
Yes, I was referring to Staff Officer Black. Sadly there are a lot of Black anime characters I can think of off the top of my head but almost none of them are voiced by Black actors. :(

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:28 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Gligarman wrote:Here's something that grinds my gears. The fact that the only Black, human character in the show is voiced by a White guy in the dub.
Oob is Indian, Mr. Popo isn't human, Goku Black isn't black, Piccolo isn't black, Bora and his son are Native Indians so it leaves me to believe you're referring to Star Officer Black? Yeah, he was voiced by a European voice-actor (Chris Sabat).

On Dragon Ball Movie 4, he doesn't even look black but moreso brown, light-skin.

Are you saying a brown or light skin person can’t be black?

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Lol, evidently not in 80's and 90's anime. Just look at what happened to Sailor Pluto.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Gligarman wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Lol, evidently not in 80's and 90's anime. Just look at what happened to Sailor Pluto.
I don’t even know what Sailor Pluto is, what happen?

I’m just trying to figure out if this guy actually thinks a brown or light skin person can’t be black.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Gligarman wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Are you saying a brown or light skin person can’t be black?
I don’t even know what Sailor Pluto is, what happen?

I’m just trying to figure out if this guy actually thinks a brown or light skin person can’t be black.
Lol, it's cool. I got that part. As for Sailor Pluto, she had dark skin in the manga but not in the anime. Same thing happened to Casca in the CG version of Berserk.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 pm

I've encountered someone who thinks Piccolo dropping to Zarbon level vs Shisami makes perfect sense.

You know, if you're willing to eat that much shit in life IE bend over backward for Super, at least get paid for it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 pm

In the current manga chapter, Roshi knows Ultra Instinct, and uses it successively against Jiren.

...So um, where the fuck was this ANYWHERE in the series before this moment. People have died because of Roshi's negligence! That's what grinds my gears.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Dogmatic devotion to one's own headcanon. It doesn't matter what proof you show to the contrary, what the story shows/says or what supplementary material backs up, it wouldn't even matter of the series broke the fourth wall and directly addressed the person, if they're a DB fan you've got a better chance of putting a rock through college than getting that head out of its ass.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I've encountered someone who thinks Piccolo dropping to Zarbon level vs Shisami makes perfect sense.

You know, if you're willing to eat that much shit in life IE bend over backward for Super, at least get paid for it.
But Super didn't imply that Shisami was Zarbon level upon fighting Piccolo?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I've encountered someone who thinks Piccolo dropping to Zarbon level vs Shisami makes perfect sense.

I'm referring to the movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

But you said "bend over backwards for Super" so it certainly didn't appear that you were referring to the movie.

But yes, the movie thing was very strange. One of several things that were corrected in the Super iteration of the story

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
But you said "bend over backwards for Super" so it certainly didn't appear that you were referring to the movie.

But yes, the movie thing was very strange. One of several things that were corrected in the Super iteration of the story
Oops, I wanted to mean modern DB period but I forgot Super actually fixed that and the 1.3 million line.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I'm referring to the movie.

Oops, I wanted to mean modern DB period but I forgot Super actually fixed that and the 1.3 million line.
Yes it did lol. It fixed both of them

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:59 am

Fans complaining about how bad Jiren's backstory is in a franchise that is known for not giving backstories to most of its antagonists/villains, in the first place...
I'm actually glad they bother to came up with one this time and it fits his character.

Tao Pai Pai, Raditz, Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, Ginyu Force, Dr Gero, C17, C18, Pui Pui, Yakon, Dabra, Babidi, Beerus, Whis and Hit don't have backstories for example and yet I see fans acting like this franchise was high standards when it comes to this.

Even Freeza, the most iconic villain of this franchise, doesn't have a proper backstory. All we see from his past is his interactions with the Saiyans.
20+ years later we still don't even know where he came from, how he met the Saiyans and what's the official name of his race.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:12 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Fans complaining about how bad Jiren's backstory is in a franchise that is known for not giving backstories to most of its antagonists/villains, in the first place...
I'm actually glad they bother to came up with one and it fits his character.

Tao Pai Pai, Raditz, Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, Ginyu Force, Dr Gero, C17, C18, Pui Pui, Yakon, Dabra, Babidi, Beerus, Whis and Hit don't have backstories for example and yet I see fans acting like this franchise was high standards when it comes to this.

Even Freeza, the most iconic villain of this franchise, doesn't have a proper backstory. All we see from his past is his interactions with the Saiyans.
20+ years later we still don't even know where he came from, how he met the Saiyans and what's the official name of his race.
Backstory is a narrative device, it's not inherently good or bad as you pointed out, nor does Jiren having one make it good. Its meant to make you emphatize with him but it's so underwritten and brief it amounts to Minus levels of nothing. One Piece might shove villain back stories down your throat, but they usually amount to more than 2 minutes of the barest bones, generic anime villain, diet One Piece fluff.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Fans complaining about how bad Jiren's backstory is in a franchise that is known for not giving backstories to most of its antagonists/villains, in the first place...
Not so much about his backstory being good or bad but rather how they just put it for the sake of putting it and almost nothing was built around an overly-hyped character lol
Also Freeza didn't need a backstory, you directly understand he's a sadistic tyrant ******* the second he speaks, both Cell and Buu had a backstory lol

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:52 am

ekrolo2 wrote:One Piece might shove villain back stories down your throat, but they usually amount to more than 2 minutes of the barest bones, generic anime villain, diet One Piece fluff.
This is another problem. Dragon Ball isn't One Piece or Naruto. We should compare Jiren's backstory to other DB antagonist/villains which as I pointed out most of them don't even have one. A bad backstory will always be better than nothing. Jiren's backstory works because not only fits his character, but also is something new in this franchise despite how generic it is.

As for the length, I'm actually surprised how informative those 2 minutes were. I wasn't expecting something so specific, or better saying, I wasn't expecting anything at all.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.