Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 am

Bajosexto wrote:It grinds my gears that to this day we still don't have a SINGLE Dragon Ball game dubbed in Latin American Spanish. Not one game. You guys are very lucky to have every freaking game dubbed in English. (Since Budoukai 1 of course) Everyone in Latin America wanted a dub for FighterZ, but it seems like what we want doesn't matter to Bandai. The sad part is that instead of boycotting FighterZ and sending the message to Bandai that we will not buy this game unless it's dubbed, most people will just buy it anyways. Like I said, you guys are very, VERY, lucky to get every DB game dubbed.
i feel you :cry:
My English is poor .

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

Bajosexto wrote:It grinds my gears that to this day we still don't have a SINGLE Dragon Ball game dubbed in Latin American Spanish. Not one game. You guys are very lucky to have every freaking game dubbed in English. (Since Budoukai 1 of course) Everyone in Latin America wanted a dub for FighterZ, but it seems like what we want doesn't matter to Bandai. The sad part is that instead of boycotting FighterZ and sending the message to Bandai that we will not buy this game unless it's dubbed, most people will just buy it anyways. Like I said, you guys are very, VERY, lucky to get every DB game dubbed.
The weird thing is that Bandai Namco did give us a dubbed Saint Seiya game a couple of years ago. Half the cast of that series also work on DB. So we have the same company and the same voice actors but they never got around to dub a game, it's pretty BS.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
i feel you :cry:
Yeah, it sucks for us.
emi_b7 wrote:The weird thing is that Bandai Namco did give us a dubbed Saint Seiya game a couple of years ago. Half the cast of that series also work on DB. So we have the same company and the same voice actors but they never got around to dub a game, it's pretty BS.
It is. I guess Bandai knows that a Dragon Ball game will sell in Latin America no matter if it's dubbed or not.

I wonder how people in English speaking countries would react if FighterZ wasn't getting an English dub. I really wanted FighterZ to be sub only (because I knew there wasn't gonna be a Latin dub) so English speakers could feel our pain. But it is what it is.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Something that really bugs me is that Toriyama decided to make some of the earlier characters less relevant.

But to be honest, if he gave all of them a good send-off and effectively wrote them out... I'd have been content. It seems he never even did that for some of them.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Sykin wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears is when people take DBZA stuff as canon. Don't get me wrong, I like TFS but some people take it a little too seriously. I've seen people say that they consider DBZA more canon than AT's original work. I don't know why but that really rubs me the wrong way.
When people blame TFS for fans being morons
It is partly their fault though; the fans are just majority at fault. They're sheep.
How so?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: When people blame TFS for fans being morons
It is partly their fault though; the fans are just majority at fault. They're sheep.
How so?
For saying "it's not our fault" then doing nothing in the Abridged to try to fix the discourse stemmed by their idiot fanboys.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
For saying "it's not our fault" then doing nothing in the Abridged to try to fix the discourse stemmed by their idiot fanboys.
Out of curiosity, how do you think they can fixed it? Don't they always have disclaiming to support the official produce.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Gligarman wrote: I remember cringing pretty hard when I saw one video claim that "in the original anime Goku hated fighting and only did it when he had to."
That was MasakoX from TFS I believe

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Gligarman wrote: I remember cringing pretty hard when I saw one video claim that "in the original anime Goku hated fighting and only did it when he had to."
I watched MasakoX on Youtube. I don't remember him saying that. Do you have a link?
Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I watched MasakoX on Youtube. I don't remember him saying that. Do you have a link?
I think it was the Evolution Review with the Nostalgia Critic
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

HeroR wrote:
Nostalgia Critic's DB Evolution review.

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how do you think they can fixed it? Don't they always have disclaiming to support the official produce.
Well considering the fans believe TFS' series is the true series, theyd follow whatever TFS says. I feel like if they didnt push the "bad father" meme endlessly and try to throw out bogus arguments about it in the abridged itself maybe the sheep will be more inclined to not go with the same old unfunny memes. Though since Kaiser has gone on record once on Reddit and said something along the lines of "Goku doesn't have the mental capacity to be a good father/husband" I dont think that will happen.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Nostalgia Critic's DB Evolution review.

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Well considering the fans believe TFS' series is the true series, theyd follow whatever TFS says. I feel like if they didnt push the "bad father" meme endlessly and try to throw out bogus arguments about it in the abridged itself maybe the sheep will be more inclined to not go with the same old unfunny memes. Though since Kaiser has gone on record once on Reddit and said something along the lines of "Goku doesn't have the mental capacity to be a good father/husband" I dont think that will happen.
How did MasakoX get that about Goku? I mean, he won't necessarily provoke a fight, but he 'hates fighting and only does it when he has to'? This isn't Gohan. If he thinks Goku was like that in Z, no wonder he has delusion issues with Super Goku.

I can't think of any 'bogus arguments' about Goku being a bad father other than them making stuff up for the sake of being 'funny', which it honestly haven't been in years. And, Kaiser actually said that about Goku? Jesus Christ. This is why Goku is called a bad father no matter how well he treats his kids in Super. Not even Toriyama claims this, more that Goku is disconnected from 'family' mostly because he's an alien.

But that would explained a lot of the 'Goku is a bad father jokes' and why Goku comes off as mental in Abridge.
Kanassa wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm

HeroR wrote:
How did MasakoX get that about Goku? I mean, he won't necessarily provoke a fight, but he 'hates fighting and only does it when he has to'? This isn't Gohan. If he thinks Goku was like that in Z, no wonder he has delusion issues with Super Goku.

I can't think of any 'bogus arguments' about Goku being a bad father other than them making stuff up for the sake of being 'funny', which it honestly haven't been in years. And, Kaiser actually said that about Goku? Jesus Christ. This is why Goku is called a bad father no matter how well he treats his kids in Super. Not even Toriyama claims this, more that Goku is disconnected from 'family' mostly because he's an alien.

But that would explained a lot of the 'Goku is a bad father jokes' and why Goku comes off as mental in Abridge.
Apparently, he said afterward that he mispoke and just didn't correct the mistake. Though don't quote me on that.

The 'bogus arguments' are the whole "Piccolo is Gohans real dad / Piccolo raised Gohan" type of stuff. And while they didnt start the meme, they definitely made it alooooot worse. DBS too with the whole "no kiss" and "i didnt know when Gohan was born" crap.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Apparently, he said afterward that he mispoke and just didn't correct the mistake. Though don't quote me on that.

The 'bogus arguments' are the whole "Piccolo is Gohans real dad / Piccolo raised Gohan" type of stuff. And while they didnt start the meme, they definitely made it alooooot worse. DBS too with the whole "no kiss" and "i didnt know when Gohan was born" crap.
As a Piccolo fan, I’m kinda surprise you hate the ‘Piccolo is Gohan’s real daddy’. Most fans of Piccolo I talked to either likes or loves this.

Gohan was only in the Super manga. In the anime, Goku only said he wasn’t there when Goten was born since he was dead. The no kiss doesn’t bother me since Goku doesn’t strike me as one who would kiss Chi-Chi. They always came off as friends with benefits to me. But that has nothing to do with Goku being mental.
Kanassa wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Apparently, he said afterward that he mispoke and just didn't correct the mistake. Though don't quote me on that.

As a Piccolo fan, I’m kinda surprise you hate the ‘Piccolo is Gohan’s real daddy’. Most fans of Piccolo I talked to either likes or loves this.
I just hate that mentality. Yes he's a father figure to Gohan but to go that far is just silly to me.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I'm a Piccolo fan too. I just hate that mentality. Yes he's a father figure to Gohan but to go that far is just silly to me.
I would personally call Piccolo more of an uncle like Krillin.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm

HeroR wrote:

Gohan was only in the Super manga. In the anime, Goku only said he wasn’t there when Goten was born since he was dead. The no kiss doesn’t bother me since Goku doesn’t strike me as one who would kiss Chi-Chi. They always came off as friends with benefits to me. But that has nothing to do with Goku being mental.
I'm a Piccolo fan, and while I do like the meme, I don't like it when it's taken super seriously. It seems to create this friction between fans of Piccolo and fans of Goku and further this misconception that Goku is a terrible father.

Goku, by Toriyama's own admission, is simply not the nurturing type or someone that puts family first, but there is a huge difference between an imperfect parent and an actual deadbeat dad.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I'm a Piccolo fan, and while I do like the meme, I don't like it when it's taken super seriously. It seems to create this friction between fans of Piccolo and fans of Goku and further this misconception that Goku is a terrible father.

Goku, by Toriyama's own admission, is simply not the nurturing type or someone that puts family first, but there is a huge difference between an imperfect parent and an actual deadbeat dad.
That’s what I meant. Goku lack of being a good parent isn’t because of mental issues. It’s because he’s from a race who don’t make such family connections.
Kanassa wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Everyone's quick to blame his alien heritage, but it's just his personality, which isn't determined by genetics. Goku chooses to be first and foremost a fighter. Vegeta has a more meaningful relationship with Bulma than Goku has with Chichi, so we see that they can make meaningful familial bonds. It's a choice, not genetics. People putting all the focus and blame on him being a Saiyan does bug me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 pm

It really saddens me that we never got a REAL Kanzenban release here in North America. I would have loved to have that version.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"