Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:People like what they want to like, for whatever reason they want to like it.

End. o_o
Let me make myself clear I am fine with anyone liking any dub but when they go on calling the Japanese version bad and insulting Nozawa then it's too much and I am saying this because I see many of these ignorant comments daily on Facebook and YouTube and anyone correcting them is Being called a Weeabo.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:People like what they want to like, for whatever reason they want to like it.

End. o_o
Let me make myself clear I am fine with anyone liking any dub but when they go on calling the Japanese version bad and insulting Nozawa then it's too much and I am saying this becauseT I see many of these ignorant comments daily on Facebook and YouTube and anyone correcting them is Being called a Weeabo.
I think that wishing Nozawa dies is better than insulting her.

One thing that grinds my gears is that people can be such hypocrites when it comes to comparing voices. Apparently, it's okay when a dub has cartoony voices but when another dub has them as well is a bad thing? Give me a fucking break.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm

End. o_o
You sicken me, sir!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

End. o_o
Let me make myself clear I am fine with anyone liking any dub but when they go on calling the Japanese version bad and insulting Nozawa then it's too much and I am saying this becauseT I see many of these ignorant comments daily on Facebook and YouTube and anyone correcting them is Being called a Weeabo.

One thing that grinds my gears is that people can be such hypocrites when it comes to comparing voices. Apparently, it's okay when a dub has cartoony voices but when another dub has them as well is a bad thing? Give me a fucking break.
I'm speechless.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Let me make myself clear I am fine with anyone liking any dub but when they go on calling the Japanese version bad and insulting Nozawa then it's too much and I am saying this becauseT I see many of these ignorant comments daily on Facebook and YouTube and anyone correcting them is Being called a Weeabo.

I'm speechless.
Same, In what way is that considered better? :shock: :wtf:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 pm

I guess because its ultimately harmless...or some shit like that. But on that logic even insults are harmless. Its just not kosher to do to anyone.

It just occurred me. When she finally leaves us. There will be people celebrating and saying stuff like "That bitch had it coming" and I makes me go fucking berserk.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:26 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I think that wishing Nozawa dies is better than insulting her.

I'm speechless.
Same, In what way is that considered better? :shock: :wtf:
Sorry, guys, made a mistake. I should have said worse. It won't happen again, I promise. I really should sometimes check what I write before post it.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It just occurred me. When she finally leaves us. There will be people celebrating and saying stuff like "That bitch had it coming" and I makes me go fucking berserk.
Outside of maybe 4chan, no, there really won't be. Very few people, no matter their moral character would publicly praise someone's death for the simple matter of voice acting.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I REALLY hope you are right.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 am

Kanassa wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It just occurred me. When she finally leaves us. There will be people celebrating and saying stuff like "That bitch had it coming" and I makes me go fucking berserk.
Outside of maybe 4chan, no, there really won't be. Very few people, no matter their moral character would publicly praise someone's death for the simple matter of voice acting.
But the ignorant FUNi Dub Fanboys will definitely be happy because they themselves are waiting for Gokū to be casted by a male in Japanese version so there is no denying they will be rejoiced :|
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
But the ignorant FUNi Dub Fanboys will definitely be happy because they themselves are waiting for Gokū to be casted by a male in Japanese version so there is no denying they will be rejoiced :|
Yeah, I'm sure these imaginary psychopaths you're talking about are waiting for the Japanese dub to cast a male, and aren't waiting for the English dub they're such fans of to catch up to Super.

Statements like this make me want to go berserk if I wasn't ina constant state of laziness.

Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 pm

When People put too much thougths on the rating of super,apperantly they think they know the japenese audience by looking at number & they think the show will be cancelled because of low numbers ,even then Super hasnt fell down in the top 10
Mostly active on discord.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 pm

People who think Black's concept is "Goku but evil"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 am

Fans calling the new transformations lazy/recolors just for not looking "different" (apearently they want DBAF super saiyan fanart kind of outlandish difference), yet they praise the SS (and all its variations), which just simply changes hair color, how spicky/long it is and body mass (which is no different than what the new modern transformations are)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 am

How Toriyama held back characters by not having them use power up techniques or training methods available to them for years.

-Kaioken
-Old Kai's Potential Unlock Ability
-Gravity Room
-Time Chamber
-Fusion Dance
Last edited by Zeru14 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 am

I'm gonna come right out and say it; another thing that grinds my gears is the last half of the Trunks arc of DBS.

Why?
Regarding the actual "future conflict":
~ 1. Goku Black started off as a pretty interesting villain. While, yes, the whole "Evil Goku" concept has been done to death in tons of fan-works, but it's done pretty well, and can be imposing on his own in the first half. But then, the second half gives off the impression that since Future!Zamasu stepped in, it's as though Goku Black can't stand on his own two legs anymore, especially as a villain. Which brings me to...

~ 2. Zamasu himself. Yeah, I just found him so unappealing, and kinda generic in the grand scheme of the plot. Like, he's been advertised as a villain that doesn't screw around... yet, spends the entire arc doing nothing but that! Going back to the first thing I said about him, he started off pretty promising; having a well-intentioned extremist thinking he's doing a good thing... but then, in the later half, he just acts like your typical run-of-the-mill Dragonball villain who wastes time in preaching rather than actually practicing (not to mention that during said second-half, he hardly does anything in his overall disposition to stand out from the likes of Cell and Freeza). I've even had a couple friends that have gone to say he's "just Baby from GT, only a Kai, and if his motivations were somehow even LESS believable". Therefore, that supposed "grey area" in his morality that was established to have been there is effectively gone in what feels like one fell swoop.

~ 3. The Potara fusion not being normally permanent anymore. Now, yes, I am still salty about that, but just hear me out on this one. The reason why I'm personally not a fan of the established "time limit" for the Potara earrings is because now, there's nothing unique about it anymore. When the Potara fusion was believed to be permanent, it was something to set it apart from the Fusion Dance. Lest we forget, since this "new" time limit is a thing, there's absolutely nothing to set the Potara fusion apart from the others. Personally, I was just fine with the idea of the Potara being able to be separated by outside interferences. With the permanent fusion, there was more at stake, and more of a tense decision to be made, thus making it more awesome when people actually did fuse with the Potara earrings. Let's not forget that this is basically just a way of saying "Yeah, now all timed fusion characters are going to make the exact same mistake every single time. Sooooo, expect all Fusion battles to play out in the same fashion."

~ 4. :evil: I swear, I hated how they just decided to just rob Trunks of that peaceful future he'd busted his ass for. Personally, I think he should've deserved his happy ending, and the ending that he got? Not only was it half-assed, but was also pretty damn pointless. Though, I guess Trunks just isn't allowed to have even a little bit of a break.

~ 5. The Super Dragon Balls. [prepare for a rant on this one thing]
Honestly, they just ruin everything for this arc. Tying in with my point on Zamasu, the SDBs are literally giant wish-orbs that can do damn-near anything. The fact that the entire arc is hinged onto them so much just ruins exactly what they try to do while utilizing them. A lot of people have said that "If Zamasu used the SDBs to eradicate all mortals on the spot, there'd be no story-arc." I usually respond with "...and that's the problem!" Not only was the 'mystery' surrounding Goku Black's identity so idiotically executed (seeing as how so many people, myself included, already pretty much knew the answer, which the story wasn't even remotely subtle with its answer), but the fact that these wish orbs can do anything at all, there's literally no downside to them. And, NO. Going on a universe-wide scavenger hunt for the damn things isn't a downside, since there are ways to mitigate that. (i.e. Bulma making a Super Dragon Radar, and the fact that people in-series have invented ways of traveling across the universe in at least a few months anyways) The previous sets of Dragon Balls we were introduced to originally (yes, even the Black-Star ones in GT) have some rules/limitations/wishes they can't grant that made the story that much more interesting. The SDBs have none. And, seeing as how I seriously loathe the ending of this arc, they could've easily just used their own set of SDBs to wish Trunks' universe back. I do sincerely hope that if U7 wins the ToP, they use the SDBs to wish back all the universes that Zen-Oh erased, which would include Trunks' world. That'd be about the only thing that would make the atrocious ending any better.

Only other thing about this arc that I can honestly say pissed me off was that one episode where everybody, except Gohan and #18, were suddenly selfish douchebags... Right as Goku is about to resurrect King Kai like he promised he would. If there was a facepalm "smilie", I would've used it.
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:39 am

NitroEX wrote:
Forte224 wrote:What grinds me gears is the double standard people have for the Ocean Dub. It makes the exact same terrible mistakes the original Funi dub did but everyone praises it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just comparing Ocean to OG Funi because they both are terrible. But I can't fathom people still preferring Ocean over the Kai dub performances. It makes no sense to me objectively
Hate to break it to you but the Kai dub is not perfect, no dub is.
Forte224 wrote:Go check out the Brian Drummond thread and the favorite non-Funi english voices thread for proof. It's all over.
God forbid anyone have positive things to say about NON-FUNIMATION ENGLISH VOICES. I mean, it's not as if the title of that thread was any indication or anything...
This idea that anyone should be forbidden to like any voice that is not from the Funimation dub reminds me of this one Kanzenshuuer who treated his opinions as facts and couldn't fathom the idea of anyone liking the Ocean dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:35 am

Kanassa wrote:
4chan. I hate that place with a passion.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
4chan. I hate that place with a passion.
At least you can say they're driven, didn't they find terrorists once for the military?

Kanassa wrote:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:23 am

Nia wrote: The second time he and Goku fought (what, two chapters later?), this happened [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That was their first fight.

Also the reason why Yamcha's death can't be compared to Goku and Vegeta getting humiliated is because Yamcha died, while Goku and Vegeta lived to get revenge.