Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Cetra » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:When somebody says that a story gave you no expectations for it being good, so you shouldn't feel disappointed when said story ends up being underwhelming by its own merits. That is such a horseshit cop-out excuse for poor and/or undercooked writing that needs to die in a dumpster fire.
????

When?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:When somebody says that a story gave you no expectations for it being good, so you shouldn't feel disappointed when said story ends up being underwhelming by its own merits. That is such a horseshit cop-out excuse for poor and/or undercooked writing that needs to die in a dumpster fire.
I see you've read the recent Minus thread too ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am

Oh you want to know what grinds my gears? People who instead of offering up any sort of discussion in the thread posted and instead try to skip around into other threads because they don’t want to confront the person discussing.
See this right here ^^^ this is what I mean.

A complete misinterpreting of my point. My point in the thread is that DB- offers a new outlook on the story backstory with Dragonball and Akira Toriyama’s style is the focus on the present. It’s hooking storyline is all set in the present and what is the focus. Yes a story can be hinged on it’s lore or backstory (Dark Souls) but generally speaking not expanding on one or the other isn’t “bad writing” it’s a stylistic choice.

People wanted a explained/complex backstory and that’s never been Dragonball or Toriyama’s style of writing. He gives a quick layout of a backstory, it’s backstory serves to explain point A to point B that is it. I simply said that it’s a stylistic choice and the story is not better or worse for both making the backstory simple and quickly explained, nor changing the Saiyan Saga narrative. It isn’t bad writing simply because you don’t like it. I even said I preferred the Bardock Special and acknowledge that it’s a very well-written story and work for the narrative plenty people here offer on the Saiyan Saga. I’m just not going to shit on Toriyama or his writing simply because it’s different and changes the story.

Now how about instead of doing this you talk to me in my thread I made like a big boy? Do you offer anything else?

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 pm

The treatment of the other fighting characters who is not named Goku or Vegeta (and maybe Beerus,Whis, and Bulma). I feel like there were so many missed opportunities that could make the other characters better. They don't necessarily have to be better than Goku or Vegeta but at least make them stronger in order to be more impressive because having them have difficulty fighting people like Tagoma when he was (maybe) weaker than Ginyu just seems like they hadn't improved at all. In Dragon Ball Super, I see that they brought Roshi, Tien, and Krillin back but the rest are ignored or underused and Super ended before we got to see them do something.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Waluigiman wrote:The treatment of the other fighting characters who is not named Goku or Vegeta (and maybe Beerus,Whis, and Bulma). I feel like there were so many missed opportunities that could make the other characters better. They don't necessarily have to be better than Goku or Vegeta but at least make them stronger in order to be more impressive because having them have difficulty fighting people like Tagoma when he was (maybe) weaker than Ginyu just seems like they hadn't improved at all. In Dragon Ball Super, I see that they brought Roshi, Tien, and Krillin back but the rest are ignored or underused and Super ended before we got to see them do something.
I also miss the other Z-fighters being useful, I wanted to see Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Roshi, Piccolo, 18 and Gohan last longer in the TOP .
I especially wanted to see Buu, Yamcha, Chaozu, Trunks and Goten fight as well in Super.
I wanted to see them as more than background guests at parties, I wanted to see them fight again.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:32 pm

AnzuMazaki wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:The treatment of the other fighting characters who is not named Goku or Vegeta (and maybe Beerus,Whis, and Bulma). I feel like there were so many missed opportunities that could make the other characters better. They don't necessarily have to be better than Goku or Vegeta but at least make them stronger in order to be more impressive because having them have difficulty fighting people like Tagoma when he was (maybe) weaker than Ginyu just seems like they hadn't improved at all. In Dragon Ball Super, I see that they brought Roshi, Tien, and Krillin back but the rest are ignored or underused and Super ended before we got to see them do something.
I also miss the other Z-fighters being useful, I wanted to see Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Roshi, Piccolo, 18 and Gohan last longer in the TOP .
I especially wanted to see Buu, Yamcha, Chaozu, Trunks and Goten fight as well in Super.
I wanted to see them as more than background guests at parties, I wanted to see them fight again.
Once again you impressed me for sharing the same opinion. :clap: I don't see why Dragon Ball Super was so afraid to use them. I hope things get better for them.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFFru4q_4H8

The title of this video...JUST THE TITLE.

"Why The Dragon Ball Z Manga is Great"

THERE IS NO Z DIVIDE IN THE MANGA! Stop this foolishness!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:25 am

Well I hate when people post something without watching it to shit on it when their only criticism is actually addressed in the video itself.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 am

Ok, the title killed me but you are most definitely right. I will give it a chance. The guy has a nice voice and seems to be pretty cool. Its just...me being butthurt I admit it.

EDIT:And using the word "Adaption"...god I want to like this guy but he plays hard to get.

ANOTHER EDIT: I finished. This video is actually pretty awesome. I will defend myself with the fact that the "There is no Z divide" isnt adressed in the video itself but rather in the comments.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ok, the title killed me but you are most definitely right. I will give it a chance. The guy has a nice voice and seems to be pretty cool. Its just...me being butthurt I admit it.

EDIT:And using the word "Adaption"...god I want to like this guy but he plays hard to get.

ANOTHER EDIT: I finished. This video is actually pretty awesome. I will defend myself with the fact that the "There is no Z divide" isnt adressed in the video itself but rather in the comments.
you can't really blame him. he lives in US and the Viz releases have divided the manga into two parts.

strange thing is, in his "Impact of DBZ" video about DBZ anime, he praised Z Dub and called Faulconer score iconic and Z Dub Piccolo's raspy voice as emotional and didn't bothered to give Kai any praise for its faithfulness to Original but gives Sabat, Faulconer credit when it should be given to people like Nozawa and Kikuchi who really played a bigger role. he likes manga and Z dub, a combination which doesn't make sense too.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:41 am

Oh god I cant believe I suscribed to this guy. Meh. I still like him. The guy does know his manga stuff...sans the whole DEE BEE ZEE MANGO thing.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm

The Patrolman wrote:This really grinds my gears and I might flack for this. All the annoying hate Sean Schemmel gets nowadays. I especially see this on twitter and honestly some of these are overblown and unwarranted
Well, considering he blocked Ian Corlett, Peter Kelamis and Kirby Morrow, it's easy to understand why he gets the hate he gets.

I have little to no problem with Schemmel as Goku, but as a person, man does he have issues. Kirby Morrow once said at a con that Schemmel scolded him for saying that he was the voice of Goku. "You're not Goku, I'm Goku!". Yeah Sean, you're the only Goku that matters.

Funny how the guy who plays Vegeta is more mature and nicer than the guy who voices Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Here's something that grinds my gears. The fact that the only Black, human character in the show is voiced by a White guy in the dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:22 pm

When people talk about story and action scenes like they are mutually exclusive. And yes, I do see this view even on this forum.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

Whenever someone glorifies or god forbid tries to justify Vegeta and his various assortment of BS. This is a guy who openly said he murders peoples because he enjoys it and it puffs up his pride and yet we've gotten to the point where the series itself is twisting that into a thing to aspire to through his interactions with Cabba and especially his last fight with Toppo.

Because a guy forsaking his sense of justice to make sure his universe lives is totally worse than the other guy who's pride has led him to do horrible things just to jerk itself off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Gligarman wrote:Here's something that grinds my gears. The fact that the only Black, human character in the show is voiced by a White guy in the dub.
Oob is Indian, Mr. Popo isn't human, Goku Black isn't black, Piccolo isn't black, Bora and his son are Native Indians so it leaves me to believe you're referring to Star Officer Black? Yeah, he was voiced by a European voice-actor (Chris Sabat).

On Dragon Ball Movie 4, he doesn't even look black but moreso brown, light-skin.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 pm

I hate it that that some people refuse to acknowledge the possibility of SSB and SS4 being equal in power. The Dragon Ball Wikia staff using the sub as 'proof' that SS4 can't normally be accessed at will. The whole what is canon and not canon, that's just silly, things that are not canon to a main story are still official works if they are made by the producers or made by someone working with the producers. As the user Akira said we can take whatever we like from the franchise and add it to the story if we like (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34500&start=80_). I also hate it how so many people hate on Broly.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I think any African American voice actor could have been a bit uneasy about playing a guy who so obviously resembles a Black Face character like Black. On top of him being evil and despicable.

Not that it makes it right. And I'm probably cutting Funimation TOO much slack.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think any African American voice actor could have been a bit uneasy about playing a guy who so obviously resembles a Black Face character like Black. On top of him being evil and despicable.

Not that it makes it right. And I'm probably cutting Funimation TOO much slack.
In Hollywood, there are many instances (more often than not) that Jewish actors/actresses play the roles of Europeans and then people who don't know any better assume "Hollywood is so white" when that obviously isn't the case. Some Jews do look European because they are partially, as they share what's called European-Jewish DNA (from the Eastern side of Europe) so they're part European and part Jewish, though mostly the latter for what it's worth.

Now, as for Africans to voice African characters. In the case where it's voice-acting you're not actually playing a live-action role but voicing a character so it's entirely optional if you hire an African voice-actor/actress to voice the character. While optional, it definitely would give more authenticity but if it's a character that only pops up a couple of times or not even that then it's not worth bothering about with.

Afro Samurai is a perfect example where an African voice-actor needed to be hired because the character had to have a genuine African voice. In general, Africans have deeper, thicker, somewhat sexy/attractive and an authoritarian voice than folks from other races.

Also, Star Officer Black is kind of a bland and generic character so if he was given a voice with a personality that definitely would have made him a much more interesting character. Still, he was just a character that came and gone like the wind. Bora the Native Indian character, on the FUNimation dub was voiced by Dameon Clarke (European voice-actor).

Lastly, since we're on the the 'people of this race should voice this character' scenario then pretty much all Dragon Ball characters should have been voiced by Japanese and Chinese voice-actors who could VA in English. Not sure what about the talking animals in human form or alien forms such as Namekians, though.. probably anyone. Saiyans although aliens too like Namekians, they look very much human so that'd go for the Japanese.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am

Um... I dont know what that has to do with my post but your post IS nice and informative.