Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Beek King wrote:And it could have always been worse. Had Harmony Gold stuck Goku would be known as Zero in America.
Although I think it'd be pretty entertaining to see a dub fan trying to make a case as to why "Whiskers The Wonder Cat" was a good name choice.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Beek King wrote:And it could have always been worse. Had Harmony Gold stuck Goku would be known as Zero in America.
Although I think it'd be pretty entertaining to see a dub fan trying to make a case as to why "Whiskers The Wonder Cat" was a good name choice.
I think it would be the same kind of rationale they use to defend that god-awful voice for Kaio. "It's a name that fits the character perfectly! I mean, first of all, he's a cat. As a cat, he has whiskers. And he does wonderful things, like powering up Zero. How the hell does Karin convey any of that? I rest my case!"
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Yeah.

Although, as a side-note, I'd like to add that in my opinion, the majority of the problem with Kaio's voice is the way Schemmel plays it; I always thought Don Brown's Kaio voice from the Ocean dub, despite being very similar to Sean Schemmel's, is actually a lot better, and lacks many of Schemmel's interpretation's failings.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Oh, I totally agree. Don Brown's voice was the first Kaio I was introduced to, after all. I remember when season 3 came out, and I was complaining about the voices, even then, at 13, I remember complaining the new Kaio sounded like he was "choking on a bucket of lard." Don Brown may have had the wrong type of voice, but he could still imbue Kaio with some kind of sense of intelligence and dignity, something that Schemmel's take has never been able to do.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I think Don Brown's take on Kaio totally works and is kind of the flip of Yanami's voice. Yanami earnest sounding voice stands in contrast to his goofiness. Brown's take sounds silly but can convey gravitas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Funny, I actually don't mind Schemmel's Kaio. It's certainly not the best, only playing up his corny side, but he never played a huge enough role that is was jarring for me.
Retired.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Don Brown's Kaio is better for sure, But I'm in the group of people that have never really been bothered by Schemmels voice for him. I even kind of like it though I can't say for sure how much of that is nostalgia. The only time I thought the voice was annoying was during scenes where he was yelling for long periods of time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am

Dub names. I had stopped caring, but the latest Super episode really irritated me cause "Bulla" is the most annoying dub name ever.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Dub names. I had stopped caring, but the latest Super episode really irritated me cause "Bulla" is the most annoying dub name ever.
It's such a weird one too. You've gotta be pretty sheltered to not know what a bra is, by 7.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:37 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Dub names. I had stopped caring, but the latest Super episode really irritated me cause "Bulla" is the most annoying dub name ever.
It's such a weird one too. You've gotta be pretty sheltered to not know what a bra is, by 7.
It's a girly sling shot, isn't it?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Thinking about it, it's really the same thing as saying/writing "Torankusu", isn't it? "Bulla" seems to just be the Japanese approximation of the English word "Bra".
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
It's a girly sling shot, isn't it?
I honestly had know idea the purpose of one until I was like 13.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Bras are used to slingshot two water balloons at the same time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Thinking about it, it's really the same thing as saying/writing "Torankusu", isn't it? "Bulla" seems to just be the Japanese approximation of the English word "Bra".
That would be writing it "Bura". Bulla is simply a made up censor name in order to evoke Bulma and one that could technically be considered not even wrong.
Hell we know Bulma isn't perfect considering the pun she's supposed to be giving but we call her that because Toriyama wrote it like this since day 1.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 pm

I know that this may be a bit premature to ask, but why did Vermoud choose Toppo as a candidate for God of Destruction? Toppo isn't even the strongest in his universe and you would think that Vermoud, Marcarita and Kai would choose the strongest of that universe that is Jiren. This particular problem may not grind my gears much, but it still irks me.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:It's such a weird one too. You've gotta be pretty sheltered to not know what a bra is, by 7.
I hate this in particular, because it's such a weird way of othering women's bodies.

It's perfectly fine to refer to "underwear" in a children's show, but for some reason referencing an undergarment designed specifically for women's breasts is off limits. As if there's something inherently unnatural or naughty about that part of the body.

This is a weird case where the censorship strikes me as being radically more offensive than the censored content.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 am

Cipher wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:It's such a weird one too. You've gotta be pretty sheltered to not know what a bra is, by 7.
I hate this in particular, because it's such a weird way of othering women's bodies.

It's perfectly fine to refer to "underwear" in a children's show, but for some reason referencing an undergarment designed specifically for women's breasts is off limits. As if there's something inherently unnatural or naughty about that part of the body.

This is a weird case where the censorship strikes me as being radically more offensive than the censored content.
Like honestly, is bra even that bad ? It holds up breast, just like underwear contains dicks.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 am

Cipher wrote:

Oh, I love this. I love this so much. I've been arguing on Twitter about this, and this is basically what it boils down to. And right before I happened to come across this post, I was thinking to myself if I should respond to some of the detractors by asking if they think it's inappropriate for children to be exposed to bras, or if it's inappropriate for boys to be exposed to bras. Because it was definitely coming across as this exclusively male, exclusively sexualized perspective. Personally, it shouldn't matter either way, but if you are someone who's been taught that bras are exclusively sexual objects, worn by objects of sexual desire, then you're going to view it differently than someone who associates it as something more ordinary and utilitarian.

And, yes, as I've also said constantly over the past 24 hours, cartoons don't just reference male undergarments. They *show* them. All. The. Time. And without it having a sexual connotation to it. Admittedly, I feel a bit odd having this discussion in Dragon Ball where undergarments have indeed often been used for sexual humor. But just the word bra? I totally agree with you that the censorship is more offensive than the censored content.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 am

I totally agree with you that the censorship is more offensive than the censored content.
Isn't it always?

Although I'm unsure if it's censorship in this context. Censorship only applies to government action. However, the line admittedly gets blurry because it's unclear know how much is Saban/FUNi editing for younger audiences and what they are legally allowed to say on children's programming. Not making any distinction between censorship and actions of a company (not saying this neccessarily applies to anyone in particular) grinds my gears.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

This has been said 530 000 times but I'm annoyed how so many people go out of their way to rationalize any blatant plothole or clumsy retcon simply because Toriyama made it. Had GT or a movie done the same thing it would've been lambasted.
Do whatever you like, ghost.