Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 am

You know what grinds my gear? When people use DBZA as an actual argument to discredit the series
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Certain parts of the fandom pushing the narrative of Gohan being the main character and taking over Goku's role in DBZ, which at best was only true in the Majin Bu Arc at to the final battle.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Certain parts of the fandom pushing the narrative of Gohan being the main character and taking over Goku's role in DBZ, which at best was only true in the Majin Bu Arc at to the final battle.
It's not a narrative. It's was the intention from Mr.Toriyama but he changed his mind.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/boo/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:03 pm

LightBing wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Certain parts of the fandom pushing the narrative of Gohan being the main character and taking over Goku's role in DBZ, which at best was only true in the Majin Bu Arc at to the final battle.
It's not a narrative. It's was the intention from Mr.Toriyama but he changed his mind.
I still stand correct, the narrative was true on the Majin Bu Arc. My point was about fans pushing that narrative as far back as the first chapter/episode Gohan is introduced.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
LightBing wrote:
I still stand correct, the narrative was true on the Majin Bu Arc. My point was about fans pushing that narrative as far back as the first chapter/episode Gohan is introduced.
People do that? :eh: I guess that's moderately irritating if the person you're talking to knows the author.
If they don't it's not a ridiculous conclusion to make. There's quite a few patterns that might make one think that. Of course passing theories as facts is just wrong, a simple google search about the author would make it clear that him planning something so far out is unlikely to say the least.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 am

People (including many on this very site) who waste so much time and effort constantly talking about things they hate instead of the things they like. Whether it be DBS, the dub, the sub, music or whatever else.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 pm

When someone tells me something happens in a story because plot, yeah, no fucking shit! That's what every piece of fiction ever does, if the plot needed it, the Trojans would check the horse and notice it was a trap and stop it the same way the plot needs them to bring it in and get killed for it: it's what the narrative is about. This applies to eeeevvvveerrrryyyytttttthhhhhiiiinnnngggg!

It's not a defense or excuse for writing decisions, it's what writing is! Making stuff happen through characters & events for a certain purpose. It's the job of a story to mask "Protagonist gets a new power up because the plot needs him to" as "Goku unlocks a long thought legendary form of an alien prophecy because a psychopath just murdered his best friend to beat up said, psychopath".

How the actual fuck any mouth breathing moron thinks this in ANY way is an excuse or explanation or justification for anything in fiction is beyond me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Amen, sir. I wouldn't put it in those terms, but I get the intent.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:People (including many on this very site) who waste so much time and effort constantly talking about things they hate instead of the things they like. Whether it be DBS, the dub, the sub, music or whatever else.
Just a way to get things that bother me a bit of my chest bro 8) , anyway hate and criticism are different things and while there are blind haters out there most I see on this site provide actual criticism for why they dislike something. I'm fine with actual criticism because it promotes discussion.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:46 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:People (including many on this very site) who waste so much time and effort constantly talking about things they hate instead of the things they like. Whether it be DBS, the dub, the sub, music or whatever else.
Just a way to get things that bother me a bit of my chest bro 8) , anyway hate and criticism are different things and while there are blind haters out there most I see on this site provide actual criticism for why they dislike something. I'm fine with actual criticism because it promotes discussion.
Critcism is fine. But some people (not naming names) just incessantly hate on specific things about this series so much; like instead of repeating yourself for the 1200th time how about talk about what you like? (Not you specifically, just in general.)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Exactly. There will always be unpleasant people (like a certain post I read somewhere nearby that used the term "mouth breathing moron") but for the most part this site is pretty tame. Letting a select few get to you just isn't worth it in my experience. Understandable, but not worth it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Use of the term "flanderize" and phrases along the lines of "... because, reasons," "... because, plot," and other variations.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm

ABED wrote:Use of the term "flanderize" and phrases along the lines of "... because, reasons," "... because, plot," and other variations.
Yeah, i hate the argument of "they're as strong as the plot demands them to be" in that moment, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Here's a couple of mine:

-Most people that complain about bad writing
I don't actually have a problem with calling out bad writing when it's there but more often than not it's usually just someone upset that the story didn't go the way they hoped it would.

-People that continue to say Super is predictable
To a degree this isn't necessarily untrue but I've yet to see anyone actually predict the end of an arc or specifics. Most of the time people's predictions are accurate it's usually when we have several episode summaries and a NEP.

-When people say "because the plot demands it"
Well I mean, yeah. That's kind of how stories usually work.

-When people take a screenshot of characters in the background of an off frame and post it to social media complaining about how Super's animation is garbage
Thankfully this doesn't happen as much as it used to but it's still pretty annoying when people do this. It's not even animation! It's art!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:24 pm

-When people say "because the plot demands it"
Well I mean, yeah. That's kind of how stories usually work.
This could mean the writer "solved" the problem of the plot but didn't realized the character was acting out of character. So they didn't really solve the plot issue because plots are what characters do.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Another thing that grinds my gears is when people take DBZA stuff as canon. Don't get me wrong, I like TFS but some people take it a little too seriously. I've seen people say that they consider DBZA more canon than AT's original work. I don't know why but that really rubs me the wrong way.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 am

Sykin wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears is when people take DBZA stuff as canon. Don't get me wrong, I like TFS but some people take it a little too seriously. I've seen people say that they consider DBZA more canon than AT's original work. I don't know why but that really rubs me the wrong way.
When people blame TFS for fans being morons
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 am

Kanassa wrote:
Sykin wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears is when people take DBZA stuff as canon. Don't get me wrong, I like TFS but some people take it a little too seriously. I've seen people say that they consider DBZA more canon than AT's original work. I don't know why but that really rubs me the wrong way.
When people blame TFS for fans being morons
It is partly their fault though; the fans are just majority at fault. They're sheep.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Here's something that gets to me on a more personal level, the constant censorship of the manga particularly all of the Black characters. Someone either at Shueisha or Viz has decided that Black people aren't allowed to have lips. I get what they were going since Toriyama's design choices aren't exactly the most politically correct but a disclaimer would have been more appropriate clarifying that no harm was intended. I can't believe they did this despite the fact that the anime is more popular and is available completely uncensored.

Also misinformed youtubers who do Dragon Ball videos. As someone that exclusively sticks with either the manga or the Japanese version of the anime I can't help but get annoyed when I hear so many different gross factual errors. I remember cringing pretty hard when I saw one video claim that "in the original anime Goku hated fighting and only did it when he had to."

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 am

It grinds my gears that to this day we still don't have a SINGLE Dragon Ball game dubbed in Latin American Spanish. Not one game. You guys are very lucky to have every freaking game dubbed in English. (Since Budoukai 1 of course) Everyone in Latin America wanted a dub for FighterZ, but it seems like what we want doesn't matter to Bandai. The sad part is that instead of boycotting FighterZ and sending the message to Bandai that we will not buy this game unless it's dubbed, most people will just buy it anyways. Like I said, you guys are very, VERY, lucky to get every DB game dubbed.